• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 minute ago, einstein2u said:

sell high time.

For Batter or Pitcher?

• Like 1

The dude is a baller too bad yahoo butchered ohtani making him 2 players.

How often is he in the batting lineup?  How many total ABs do you think he'll have and what type of hitting projections do you think he'll end up with?  

300 AB, .285, 25 HR, 75 RBI, 70 runs ??

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dorsett33 said:

How often is he in the batting lineup?  How many total ABs do you think he'll have and what type of hitting projections do you think he'll end up with?  

If he can do that in 300 ABs, the Angels would be crazy not to just make him a hitter all year and rake in 50 HR and 150 RBI!

It was a very positive game for someone that scouts said "couldn't hit a breaking ball" a few weeks ago, but I'd pump the brakes a little before putting him on pace to out-hit Trout.

• Like 1

Really tempted to add in a dynasty league as a hitter. I am just really not sure its worth it when he is only going to play 2-3 times per week. Any1 think Othani could eventually become a batter 4-5 times per a week down the line is his career??

This start has to be even better than what the Angels could have hoped for. I still don't think he will be that valuable as a hitter in Yahoo leagues unless his playing time becomes more predictable. Either way, I don't own him at all this year, but I'm really glad to see him performing hitting and pitching to start his career. 

• Like 1

Does he only get hitting stats when he is in at DH? Or will he get both when he pitches in NL parks?

In daily leagues he will have value as a hitter, but only as someone you pick up off the waiver wire and play when he's in the lineup.  Otherwise just not enough at bats for weekly leagues.  The Angels plan on going with a 6 man rotation, giving him 5 off days between starts. My guess is they don't start him the day before or after he pitches, that leaves 2 or 3 starts each week at DH.  

5 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Does he only get hitting stats when he is in at DH? Or will he get both when he pitches in NL parks?

In daily leagues he will have value as a hitter, but only as someone you pick up off the waiver wire and play when he's in the lineup.  Otherwise just not enough at bats for weekly leagues.  The Angels plan on going with a 6 man rotation, giving him 5 off days between starts. My guess is they don't start him the day before or after he pitches, that leaves 2 or 3 starts each week at DH.  

Every format I've seen makes you choose either pitcher or hitter for that day or week.  Not seen any where he collects both hitting and pitching stats on the same day.

He must be immensely talented for this two way experiment to work. The lack of reps he gets vs every other hitter puts him at a monstrous disadvantage.

Amazingly fun story, I dont see the hitting lasting when pitchers learn where to attack him, or the injury factor (plunked by pitches etc). But I hope it does and I wish I owned him somewhere!

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Every format I've seen makes you choose either pitcher or hitter for that day or week.  Not seen any where he collects both hitting and pitching stats on the same day.

I believe in Yahoo he was created as two different players, a SP and a DH.  I would assume if you own 'both' Ohtani's you could start both, one in a hitter slot and one in a pitcher slot.  But that's using him to take up 2 roster slots.

And without looking at the schedule, I'd guess you're lucky to get 1 or 2 pitching starts out of him in an NL park where he would be hitting as well.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dorsett33 said:

I think he's going to fall well short of 300 at bats. That would require him hitting for half the season. Outside of interleague he's not hitting when he pitches. I don't think the Angels will let him hit the day before or after the days he pitches. And, let's say this 6 man rotation sticks (doubt it, they never do), I don't see them letting him constantly hit 3 days in a row. I personally view 175-200 at bats as a better projection for him offensively. 

I do wonder what would happen if he had something like a blister, that was affecting his pitching but not hitting, if instead of going on the DL he'd just hit for 10 days. That's another story though. 

Edited by Red Sox Nation

2 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

I believe in Yahoo he was created as two different players, a SP and a DH.  I would assume if you own 'both' Ohtani's you could start both, one in a hitter slot and one in a pitcher slot.  But that's using him to take up 2 roster slots.

And without looking at the schedule, I'd guess you're lucky to get 1 or 2 pitching starts out of him in an NL park where he would be hitting as well.  

I read the question as asking about systems where he only occupies 1 roster spot but obviously for Yahoo each player collects any applicable stats every day.  Each separate Ohtani only collects one type of stat each day.  (Weird sentence to type)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Sox Nation said:

I think he's going to fall well short of 300 at bats. That would require him hitting for half the season. Outside of interleague he's not hitting when he pitches. I don't think the Angels will let him hit the day before or after the days he pitches. And, let's say this 6 man rotation sticks (doubt it, they never do), I don't see them letting him constantly hit 3 days in a row. I personally view 175-200 at bats as a better projection for him offensively. 

I do wonder what would happen if he had something like a blister, that was affecting his pitching but not hitting, if instead of going on the DL he'd just hit for 10 days. That's another story though. 

Interesting point. I think it's more likely if he's suffering from some muscle tightness, that they just stop him hitting until he's fully recovered. Pitching will take priority, we all know that. They need him as an ace much much more than a DH, he's only DHing because he really wants to do both.

Posted (edited)

Another HR today.  Off of Kluber.

Edited by DFWSooner

Homered off Kluber to center. Looks like the kid is the real deal

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The hitter version of him is sitting on my waiver wire and I'm tempted to pick him up just because of how fun it would be to have him in my lineup, but I have no idea what to expect from him, and I'd have to drop someone like Hanley Ramirez to make room for him.  

Anyone have any idea how often he's supposed to be in the lineup?

Edited by DFWSooner

2 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

The hitter version of him is sitting on my waiver wire and I'm tempted to pick him up just because of how fun it would be to have him in my lineup, but I have no idea what to expect from him, and I'd have to drop someone like Hanley Ramirez to make room for him.  

Anyone have any idea how often he's supposed to be in the lineup?

Not enough to make it worth it.

11 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Not enough to make it worth it.

If he keeps hitting bombs that may not be the case... wouldn't be so quick to make judgements in absolutes

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

If he keeps hitting bombs that may not be the case... wouldn't be so quick to make judgements in absolutes

Keep letting others say he won't hit enough to make it worth the pick up while you do just that...make the pick up