IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

5 minutes ago, 2014olympicgold said:

Blister....UCL Sprain.....

Did the Angels get the Mets medical staff?

Evils Mets doctors are starting to infiltrate all MLB teams. God help us all.......

Image result for evil doctor with knife

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Angels placed RHP Shohei Ohtani on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to June 7, with a Grade 2 sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.

Yikes. Yahoo Sports' Jeff Passan reported back in December that Ohtani was dealing with a Grade 1 UCL sprain, and it appears that the tear in his elbow has gotten worse. The right-hander was given platelet-rich plasma and stem cell injections Thursday and will be re-evaluated in three weeks. Obviously, this is a massive blow to the Angels and to Ohtani's fantasy owners. Tommy John surgery could eventually be in his future, but the hope is he'll be able to rest and rehab the injury.

Jun 8 - 3:06 PM

• Confused 1

I have to give credit to Pedro Martinez. Early this week they did a video package on MLB Tonight of Ohtani and he said something is clearly wrong with him. He's pretty good if anyone has watched him as analyst.

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Please just let him rehab and maybe shut him down as a pitcher for this year and let be an everyday batter. (I know this isn’t gonna happen)

I don't own any shares of Ohtani, but as a fan of baseball, this sucks. This will be at least the 3rd Angels pitcher to attempt this route. Heaney's PRP/stem-cell treatments were ineffective and he ended up needing to have Tommy John. Richards received his first stem-cell injection in mid-May of 2016 and missed the rest of the season but so far appears to have dodged the knife. I'd be really shocked to see Ohtani pitching again this year.

Found this article interesting: https://qz.com/949424/stem-cell-therapy-is-poised-to-disrupt-the-tommy-john-epidemic-in-baseball/

Edited by meh2
  • Like 2

I've can't remember PRP ever working on elbow tears. It's a band-aide on a bullet wound. A shame, but this was widely known when they signed him too.

21 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I've can't remember PRP ever working on elbow tears. It's a band-aide on a bullet wound. A shame, but this was widely known when they signed him too.

Worked for Tanaka.  I guess Richards but he basically missed two years so not sure that can be considered a success..... But yea, almost all the time, this ends up in surgery.  I get it, whether he gets surgery next week or in a month, he's probably not getting on the mound in a MLB game until 2020 so take your low percentage shot and see if you get lucky.

• Like 1

Shame.  I got 0 shares but he was good for the game.

Should be interesting to see how high the bidding gets on the next Japanese pitching phenom in light of this.  The track record for these guys is pretty poor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IDGAFOS said:

Should be interesting to see how high the bidding gets on the next Japanese pitching phenom in light of this.  The track record for these guys is pretty poor.

The dude has shown some of the best stuff in the game this year.  TJ on a young pitcher isn't exactly uncommon these days.

This is just a bummer as a fan, Ohtani was one of the best stories of the season. Fingers crossed it isn't worst case, but given the fact he had a UCL flag when he came over it's hard to be optimistic here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Worked for Tanaka.  I guess Richards but he basically missed two years so not sure that can be considered a success..... But yea, almost all the time, this ends up in surgery.  I get it, whether he gets surgery next week or in a month, he's probably not getting on the mound in a MLB game until 2020 so take your low percentage shot and see if you get lucky.

Doesng throw as hard anymore sadly. Always seems like Tanaka dials it back now as he sits around 92-89 in most of his starts when he touched 95-96 consistentally when he first came to the Yanks. In yhe playoffs last year he let it fly and was touching 95 consistently though. Seems if Otanhi wants to avoid a full tear than he might have to do the same. I think it’s safe to say we won’t be seeing those 100 mph pitches anymore. 

42 minutes ago, IDGAFOS said:

What's the "track record" exactly? Pitchers from Japan get injured exactly how you'd expect pitchers to get injured from the USA, DR, Cuba or anywhere else, at probably almost the exact same rate.

• Like 2

Noooooooo... no more #ShoTime.  Probably best that he get TJS. Feels like you're just playing with fire if you just take rest, and hope that it recovers by itself.  Even if it did, the risk for further injury seems so high.

6 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

What is the consensus in here on Ohtani's dynasty value as a batter-only.

I don't think that's what he wants and he will probably try to pitch again

In the sense if he has to pick a surgery or just hit

Edited by jahweedum