IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

I own Ohtani in a dynasty on ESPN, and sometimes I wonder did I make a mistake drafting him.

him Not pitching really hurts his value. 

Still love Ohtani but can’t risk playing him in weekly dynasty at the moment with how the Angels havehandled him. I don’t know what’s best for him but I’m not sure the angels do either and that is their job

Angels' Shohei Ohtani: Cleared to begin throwing

15 hrs ago | by RotoWire Staff

Ohtani is set to start a throwing program in the coming days following his six week reevaluation on his throwing elbow.

After being reexamined, it was determined that Ohtani's right elbow ligament is healing, and he could pitch again sometime this season if all goes well. Although he's been shut down from throwing since June 8, he's managed to contribute with his bat in the designated hitter slot. Expect more updates on Ohtani's status as he progresses through his throwing program.

Was just dropped in my 12 teamer. Can't decide if he's worth picking up. Is he just a 3 time a week DH for the foreseeable future?

Edited by Cubsfan22

9 homers, all against righties, all at home. 

hmm, since he's cleared to throw, what would you guys put the odds at for a fantasy playoffs return as a SP? Granted, it'll be tough to roster him without a DL tag in the meantime...

39 minutes ago, Roto4500 said:

hmm, since he's cleared to throw, what would you guys put the odds at for a fantasy playoffs return as a SP? Granted, it'll be tough to roster him without a DL tag in the meantime...

Angels going nowhere - he will throw but they will be cautious with him - probably that every 6th day and on pretty low pitch count just kind of depends on your situation, those limited innings might yield decent K and ratios so maybe its better than your current worst starter?  

8 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Angels going nowhere - he will throw but they will be cautious with him - probably that every 6th day and on pretty low pitch count just kind of depends on your situation, those limited innings might yield decent K and ratios so maybe its better than your current worst starter?  

I didn't realize how far back the Angels were... wow, Mariners with 60 wins kinda ends their window this year of a WC spot.

Anyone heard any concrete info when he might enter the rotation again ?

I know he got the ok to throw, but hadn't heard much since then.

1 hour ago, tonywow said:

Anyone heard any concrete info when he might enter the rotation again ?

I know he got the ok to throw, but hadn't heard much since then.

I'm looking for the same info. I'm guessing that they wouldn't throw him back out there until very late in the season, probably too late for fantasy leagues. But I really don't know.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

9 homers, all against righties, all at home. 

I like that he is now batting in front of Trout.  

Considering he is hitting, that adds to the risk of him tweaking something or hurting every time he is out there at bats, thus chances of him actually pitching again in a game are very low, if he has any setback or injury while hitting/running there is no way in world angels will let him pitch this lost season. If I was betting man, I would bet on him not pitching again this season.

Phenomenal game tonight. 4/5 with 2 HR and a SB.

Im hoping for some insight on how to value him in a daily keeper(10 per team) league where he is just one player. In an ideal world(no grade 2 UCL sprain), hes an elite pitcher with an extra roster spot for the gravy of his very solid batting stats on top. Im of the opinion that hes probably facing TJ surgery at some point in the near future though, or at least should be when it comes to his long term career potential. Id rather have him get it done now and hopefully not have to worry about it for the rest of his career, but the Angels dont follow the same philosophy historically. 

Do you sell or hold in a situation like this? If you do sell, what "top # player" do you look for in return?

if ohtani takes only 1 slot in espn ? then obviously hold, he is unique talent

He's played like 5 or 6 games straight and is starting to do damage at the plate. What do you guys think of Ohtanis value as a hitter is going forward? If he's batting everyday he's gotta be a must own with the power/speed combo right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

He's played like 5 or 6 games straight and is starting to do damage at the plate. What do you guys think of Ohtanis value as a hitter is going forward? If he's batting everyday he's gotta be a must own with the power/speed combo right?

Yes but the bad news is he's hell bent on getting back on the mound soon. Wish he would give up pitching and become Babe Ruth 

So not said but the odds of him pitching this year are slim to none I assume?

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

Yeah I think so. I don't know if he'll need TJ, but the Angels have no reason to push the issue. Tanaka's elbow issues have been outlined pretty heavily, but he's still pitching. Maybe they just get Ohtani to see someone in the offseason and move him to the OF exclusively.  Still young, so even if he does end up with TJ could have a solid career.

On 8/11/2018 at 4:43 AM, CraftyRighty said:

I dunno, he is throwing bullpens, he definitely wants to pitch again this season. I dropped him in a 10 teamer, I just don’t expect him to get enough ABs to make it worth rostering him, especially as he only can fill the UTIL spot. High chance he loses ABs either because he starts pitching again, or he misses more time with injuries. I hope I am wrong, he is sooo talented and big fun to watch...

Would love to see this guy play every day in the field.  

So now that he's throwing these more intense bullpens, he's gonna be on the 4 days available, 3 days unavailable hitting schedule like when he was starting? If so that stinks.