IlliniGuy76

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, Stickfig13 said:

Will he hit daily?

With Pujols out the way my thinking is he will be in the lineup everyday at DH getting ready to be the full time DH  next year after he gets TJ. 

How legit of a runner is he?  In 251 AB's he has 8 SB's.  

Is he a 20-25 SB guy if he plays full time?  That plus his homers plus playing with Mike Trout may is a great combo.

o2QuaNb.png

forgot to post this yesterday

my body is ready ?

take us to the promise land Ohtani clone

• Like 1

Ohtani is gonna have a two hour TV special after the WS concludes and will announce at the end if he’s gonna have TJ surgery. Amazing!

He just keeps getting better, the level he is playing at right now is insane. Currently has the 5th best wrc+ in baseball (min 250 plate appearances). This Trout-Ohtani tandem is so much fun to watch and imo the second best in baseball behind Betts-Martinez.

Edited by gopackgo555

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say he is gonna win many people a fantasy championship this year 

59 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

anyone see the collision? how do we feel about his status this coming week?

It was a collision with the pitcher Vieira at the plate. 

Honestly it was because Vieira made a stupid slide way too late and literally just tumbled/fell into Ohtani. He had no chance to even get him out. Dude just looked like he can't control his body at all. Not when pitching, not when sliding. (He literally threw the ball so high and wide that the catcher couldn't catch it like 4 times in like 20 pitches lol). 

It looked like it was a knee to knee collision with Vieira's knee slamming into Ohtani's. Ohtani's reaction right after wasn't too bad. He was able to get up and walk on his own. But it did look pretty bad potentially, so if it ends up being a bruise, I'd say that's pretty lucky. 

2 minutes ago, mi26 said:

Worth a pickup for this week ? 

Pretty sure it’s too late. I don’t think he’s available on any wires for competitive leagues right now 

What a crazy week for Ohtani, tears his UCL then wins player of the week after hitting .474/.565/1.263/1.820 with 4 homers, 10 RBI, 4 walks, a double, a triple and 8 runs. He is also hitting .370 since Aug 1.

Edited by gopackgo555

22 hours ago, mdpharm23 said:

Pretty sure it’s too late. I don’t think he’s available on any wires for competitive leagues right now 

I actually just picked him up in one.  He was gone in all others though.

Okay, so Ohtani (batter) got dropped in my Yahoo keeper roto league...and I'm confused. Why would he have gotten dropped? By a good owner, no less. I honestly haven't followed Ohtani that much, but I'm intrigued. 

9 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Okay, so Ohtani (batter) got dropped in my Yahoo keeper roto league...and I'm confused. Why would he have gotten dropped? By a good owner, no less. I honestly haven't followed Ohtani that much, but I'm intrigued. 

Check out his last 30 days in Yahoo:  he's ranked in the top ten.  Hitting for power and stealing bags.  I don't know if it's the UTIL only designation that scares people off, but you should certainly nab him and reap the benefits.

After tonight he is top 4 in MLB in wrc+, slugging,  and ops (obviously with not enough at bats but still impressive). More than double Andujar's WAR  and even his batting WAR his 1 full point higher with 100 less at bats LOL. 

Edited by gopackgo555
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gopackgo555 said:

After tonight he is top 4 in MLB in wrc+, slugging,  and ops (obviously with not enough at bats but still impressive). More than double Andujar's WAR  and even his batting WAR his 1 full point higher with 100 less at bats LOL. 

tumblr_p6h7m0xWNw1um8hv0o1_500.gif

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 6:33 PM, The Waker said:

How legit of a runner is he?  In 251 AB's he has 8 SB's.  

Is he a 20-25 SB guy if he plays full time?  That plus his homers plus playing with Mike Trout may is a great combo.

I'm curious about this, too. He has 9 SBs now in 268 AB, and I'm wondering if he's a legit SB threat or if this is something of a fluke. If he gets 550 AB next year as the fulltime DH, can he reach the 20-SB mark? Or at least 15-18? 

7 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I'm curious about this, too. He has 9 SBs now in 268 AB, and I'm wondering if he's a legit SB threat or if this is something of a fluke. If he gets 550 AB next year as the fulltime DH, can he reach the 20-SB mark? Or at least 15-18? 

He is REALLY fast.  It is not a fluke.

1 minute ago, B&F said:

He is REALLY fast.  It is not a fluke.

Nice...thanks for the info. 

I'm listening to Fangraphs' sleeper-bust podcast right now, and the two guys on here are pretty down on him for 2019. One guy is saying he's a 120ish pick next year, while the other guy is saying 150ish. They don't believe he's going to get enough PAs next year to rank much better, and one guy is looking for 25 HR and 10 SB next year. 

11 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Nice...thanks for the info. 

I'm listening to Fangraphs' sleeper-bust podcast right now, and the two guys on here are pretty down on him for 2019. One guy is saying he's a 120ish pick next year, while the other guy is saying 150ish. They don't believe he's going to get enough PAs next year to rank much better, and one guy is looking for 25 HR and 10 SB next year. 

I'm curious why they think he's not going to get enough PA's.   If he has surgery and can't pitch at all next season why would the Angels not play him nearly every day at DH or OF if he's able to handle it?   The only obstacle I see is Pujols but really the Angels should play Shohei over him if they are trying to contend IMO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

I'm curious why they think he's not going to get enough PA's.   If he has surgery and can't pitch at all next season why would the Angels not play him nearly every day at DH or OF if he's able to handle it?   The only obstacle I see is Pujols but really the Angels should play Shohei over him if they are trying to contend IMO.

Last pick of 10th round?  No way.  He will go much higher than that.   Maybe not like top 5 rounds, I know sometimes people drop guys a little because they are DH only.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

The 9 SBs are almost exclusively in Aug now that he isn't pitching so he certainly has the speed to do it. However It really depends on what the team allows. Look at Trout though, he was stealing left and right until there was a health scare at the end of July and he has only stolen 2 since then. The one reason that leads me to believe they will let him is that he slides feet first which is much safer unlike trout who goes head first (the only two injuries he has ever had have been because of this).

50 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

If he plays OF wouldn't that involve throwing at some point and time?

4 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

If he plays OF wouldn't that involve throwing at some point and time?

You would imagine so.   I remember reading some speculation that he could potentially play OF later in the season next year once he has recovered enough with his elbow.