TheBoatmen

Teoscar Hernandez 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

3 minutes ago, neljak25 said:

Have been watching him after a nice ST and 8 bombs in only 95 plate appearances last season, would like to stash but just added Franchy Cordero. Seem like very similar profiles, no?

Yea only Hernandez has a little more of a path to consistent playing time long term and also plays in a much better hitters park. 

• Like 1

looks like a wild card.

last year in the majors he had 37.9 K%. in Spring Training he had 17 K (along with 4 HR and 3 SB).

this year in the minors in 4 games he had 7 K, 0 BB, but 2 HR.

Definitely a wild card, but an all-formats pickup kind of wild card because the tools are there, and there's very little in the way of his playing time.  If he hits, he'll play.

Just now, tonycpsu said:

Definitely a wild card, but an all-formats pickup kind of wild card because the tools are there, and there's very little in the way of his playing time.  If he hits, he'll play.

and hitting 2nd today!

He should have been up since the beginning of the season really.  I'm not quite sure why they went out and got a veteran that has been a bust before they even signed him when Hernandez was good for them late last season, but oh well I guess.  Better late than never.

I just picked him up.  He might not duplicate what he did for Toronto late last season, but with offense being so poor overall in the early going, it makes a lot of sense taking chances on guys like him, Cordero, etc.

SB and RBI Will he get fullime ABs?

Edited by TTRA1N

4 minutes ago, CanadianSportsJunkie said:

He should have full time ABs no reason not to really our OF is not that great with the bat and our DH sucks 

Looked good tonight.

2 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Looked good tonight.

Picked him up out of desperation due to dl guys and today's ppd games, think I'll ride it out a bit. Seems to be a mid power/speed guy its the avg that'll be iffy. 10 day contract earned for me ha 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mmcc1029 said:

Picked him up out of desperation due to dl guys and today's ppd games, think I'll ride it out a bit. Seems to be a mid power/speed guy its the avg that'll be iffy. 10 day contract earned for me ha 

I seen he had a SB and I added immediately just in case.

Yea I'm in need of stls so that was nice. 1st In bigs but he's had high steal years in minors. 

15 hours ago, neljak25 said:

Have been watching him after a nice ST and 8 bombs in only 95 plate appearances last season, would like to stash but just added Franchy Cordero. Seem like very similar profiles, no?

If you need OF help, its a matter of throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks...lol

The problem (and reason he started the year in AAA) is that there isn't a clear path to PT for him, outside of injury situations like this. With both Morales and Donaldson on the DL, there are enough lineup holes to fill that we should see a pretty steady dose of Teoscar for the next 10 days or so. 

The good news is I think he can play his way into sticking, if he shows well over the next several games. The plan was to have Grichuk in RF, a Grandy/Pearce platoon in LF, and Morales at DH. Grichuk has been horrible and you have to think if he keeps stinking it up for another 10 days, and Teoscar is performing, that Grichuk will be the one ending up in AAA. I think Gibby has high hopes for Grichuk, but at some point they have to say enough is enough. 

If he continues to mash--and that is basically all this guy has done (career in minors, last sept, ST and again in AAA this year) then there's no way they can send him down. Randy GriYuck is just terrible and Grandy is more of a role guy. Major potential for Teoscar to run with a job and hit near the top of the order,

33 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

If he continues to mash--and that is basically all this guy has done (career in minors, last sept, ST and again in AAA this year) then there's no way they can send him down. Randy GriYuck is just terrible and Grandy is more of a role guy. Major potential for Teoscar to run with a job and hit near the top of the order,

Agreed would love to see this guy get a shot.  Grichuk is a hack at the plate and in the field.

While the opportunity has been created due to injury, like a couple of other people have said, there's almost no chance he goes anywhere if he hits during this opportunity.  While they took a (honestly stupid) chance on Grichuk, it's been obvious for a year or two he's horrible, so it should be just a matter of Teoscar performing in order to stick around for good this time.

4 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Batting 2nd. That was quick.

1. Curtis Granderson (L) DH
2. Teoscar Hernandez (R) LF
3. Justin Smoak (S) 1B
4. Yangervis Solarte (S) 3B
5. Russell Martin (R) C
6. Kevin Pillar (R) CF
7. Aledmys Diaz (R) SS
8. Randal Grichuk (R) RF
9. Devon Travis (R) 2B

It was even quicker yesterday when he also batted 2nd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

It was even quicker yesterday when he also batted 2nd.

My bad, I missed that. Hopefully he sticks near the top of the lineup.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

The problem (and reason he started the year in AAA) is that there isn't a clear path to PT for him, outside of injury situations like this. With both Morales and Donaldson on the DL, there are enough lineup holes to fill that we should see a pretty steady dose of Teoscar for the next 10 days or so. 

The good news is I think he can play his way into sticking, if he shows well over the next several games. The plan was to have Grichuk in RF, a Grandy/Pearce platoon in LF, and Morales at DH. Grichuk has been horrible and you have to think if he keeps stinking it up for another 10 days, and Teoscar is performing, that Grichuk will be the one ending up in AAA. I think Gibby has high hopes for Grichuk, but at some point they have to say enough is enough. 

FYI, Grichuk is out of options and can’t be sent to AAA without clearing waivers. That said, I think the Jays will make room somehow for Teoscar if he keeps hitting, even if it means releasing Grichuk. 

The Kluber factor makes me hesitate today, but he looks like a decent upside play, particularly in dynasty.