Tryptamine

Kyle Schwarber 2018 Outlook

Getting really hard to even start him in my weekly league. With a day off and him sitting what seems like 2 games a week, I can't really use him. I get that he's struggled vs left handed pitching but how can he improve if he never gets the chance? 

Schwarbs had two excellent at bats against very good lefty relievers today.  According to the Cubs announcers, his single of off Sam Freeman was the first hit Freeman has given up to a left-handed hitter this season.  Then he worked a full count and eventually a walk off of AJ Minter.  In both at bats he took some close ones and fouled off at least one or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Von Hayes said:

Schwarbs had two excellent at bats against very good lefty relievers today.  According to the Cubs announcers, his single of off Sam Freeman was the first hit Freeman has given up to a left-handed hitter this season.  Then he worked a full count and eventually a walk off of AJ Minter.  In both at bats he took some close ones and fouled off at least one or two.

I definitely agree that the Freeman at bat was impressive, as he has been one of the better middle relief pitchers this season. During the Minter at bat though he did get away with one that should have definitely been called a strike. Obviously I have no way of knowing whether he was having trouble identifying the pitches though, or if it was in fact patience, but it was most definitely an encouraging sequence of at bats. 

What's also encouraging, is that there were some options on the bench that could have been put in for him and yet he remained in the game. 

The real question will be whether Maddon sees it this way, or if he puts any value into his performance today. As I said before, I think he deserves some more chances against LHP. 

On 4/27/2018 at 1:40 PM, jb_power said:

you may want to also consider his OF play plus the possibility of getting injured while attempting to play the OF

Currently leads all qualified MLB left fielders in UZR/150 and his 3 assists are second. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

Currently leads all qualified MLB left fielders in UZR/150 and his 3 assists are second. 

Proving the worthlessness of defensive metrics in small samples.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Proving the worthlessness of defensive metrics in small samples.

Not really. Helping prove he is improved and plenty adequate. 

And since 2015, he ranks near the top in the same metric. 

Edited by ryno1980

I was duped into believing there was new mean/lean Kyle Schwarber in 2018... who transformed his body into a chiseled sculpture .

• Confused 2

He's hitting at a 30+ HR pace, has a .382 OBP, and whether you believe in WAR or not, he has a positive defensive WAR for the first time in his life, and his overall WAR in 38 games is almost caught up with his total WAR in 129 games in 2017.

Not sure what people were expecting, but I would say the 'new lean mean' Schwarber is doing just fine.  I'd like to see him get a chance against some lefties just like everyone else, but outside of that how can you complain about his production (especially for where he was drafted)?

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

He's hitting at a 30+ HR pace, has a .382 OBP, and whether you believe in WAR or not, he has a positive defensive WAR for the first time in his life, and his overall WAR in 38 games is almost caught up with his total WAR in 129 games in 2017.

Not sure what people were expecting, but I would say the 'new lean mean' Schwarber is doing just fine.  I'd like to see him get a chance against some lefties just like everyone else, but outside of that how can you complain about his production (especially for where he was drafted)?

starting to think people are unreasonable in their expectations.   I drafted him in the 10-12 round range like most.   On Most Yahoo player raters he's a top 150 player currently.  Seems fine to me.  He's one quick hot streak away from being a top 100 player again.

Edited by JetsAwesome

48 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

In my fantasy leagues we have no categories that uses defense. So why would anybody care about his defensive WAR .

in A standard 5x5 Schwarber has a rank of 157....ADP in the range of 160 round 13-15. 

I am not happy with his production at the current time ...

Just think how many other players that people could have drafted (right now) over this new lean mean Schwarber....

too many to count is the answer ...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

In my fantasy leagues we have no categories that uses defense. So why would anybody care about his defensive WAR .

in A standard 5x5 Schwarber has a rank of 157....ADP in the range of 160 round 13-15. 

Just think how many other players that people could have drafted (right now) over this new lean mean Schwarber....

Does your league count HR? He's the 24th ranked OF in my league right now, so I'm pretty happy with my borderline OF2/3 in the 13th+ round. 

Defensive WAR just shows the improvements he's been able to make now that he's in better shape. It's hard to attribute a certain offensive increase to his fitness, but it's easy to say he can field better because of it.  He's made progress in both his offensive and defensive game from last season, so if you were expecting Mike Trout in the 15th round maybe you should adjust your expectations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

This is kind of a pointless take.

Of course you could have drafted someone better.  Or, you could have done way, way worse.  Same as nearly anyone else, anywhere you drafted them.

I'm looking at the round I drafted Schwarber (took him at 146).  Albies was drafted later that round, so...darn.  Other than that, Familia, Kyle Seager, Inciarte, Chase Anderson, about on par.  Or, I could have taken Stroman, David Price, Jon Gray or Adrian Beltre.  Phew.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 8:38 AM, shakestreet said:

I was duped into believing there was new mean/lean Kyle Schwarber in 2018... who transformed his body into a chiseled sculpture .

https://twitter.com/Josh_Frydman/status/999442812407091201

Looks pretty mean.

In 2018, 4 outfield assists, tied for 6th among all outfielders. 

From 2015-2018, UZR/150 ranks 14th in 1,400 innings. That defensive liability narrative can die any day now.

Edited by ryno1980
  • Thanks 1

Using flawed defensive metrics in small sample sizes isn't a good method for determining who's a good defensive player.

29 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Using flawed defensive metrics in small sample sizes isn't a good method for determining who's a good defensive player.

Do you have a better method?  

I don't think anyone's saying he's going to win a Gold Glove out there, and any metric has its flaws, but if that metric shows a clear contrast between last year when he was universally seen as a liability, to this year, then maybe that means he's gotten better.  In statistics you might often not have direct number correlation, but if there is correlation between the good defensive players having good metrics, and the bad ones usually having negative metrics, it's still a tool that tells you something.

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

Im using my eyes, just using the metric to back it up and help out those that don’t watch all his games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well Happ won the game by himself with defense today.  Made 3 incredible (and similar) diving catches in left.  Schwarbs will probably play tomorrow though (Happ to another spot) and next week faces 5 righties and one TBD.

55 minutes ago, BustHerPosey said:

This guy is frustrating to own. 

yup, finally put him in the lineup this week and....nada.

Sitting against a righty again.  Seriously, why the heck aren't they playing this guy?  He's been worth 1.8 fWAR so far this year.

He's cold against today's pitcher.  He needs to sit because he is slumping.