azeri98

Luis Castillo 2018 Outlook

Yes, he is. The good news is he threw 169.2 innings last season (AAA and MLB combined). I could him throwing 160+ innings with a 3.5 - 3.6 ERA in 2018.

• Like 2

It amazes me that the Marlins with a poor farm system and desperate for young arms couldn't wait to get rid of this guy.  First to the Padres and then the Reds.  

The hype is a little too much.  His ADP is probably too high.  Yea I know he could turn into an ace but like any other player there is a floor.

4 hours ago, B&F said:

It amazes me that the Marlins with a poor farm system and desperate for young arms couldn't wait to get rid of this guy.  First to the Padres and then the Reds.  

The hype is a little too much.  His ADP is probably too high.  Yea I know he could turn into an ace but like any other player there is a floor.

To be clear, I haven't gotten into this guy enough to have a clear opinion on him as a player-- 

But if the argument is "like any other player," than why is that a knock on Castillo? Personally living near Cincy I'm very excited to see him a couple times this year. 

11 hours ago, B&F said:

Or when they gave away Chris Paddack for Fernando Rodney

Love this kid. I'm worried he'll find himself on the spring training hype train and be too expensive on draft day though. We shall see. 

I am happy I took a flier on him in 2 keeper leagues and can hold him with little to no risk before the hype train gets his tag outta hand.

He has the look of a legit #2 type starter and fantasy stud with his Ks and stuff-

razzball sleeper..

https://razzball.com/luis-castillo-2018-fantasy-baseball-sleeper/

this part jumped out at me..

“Luis Castillo started throwing a two-seamer on a whim during a game late in June. Worked it into his arsenal in July and August, found feel for it in September and his SwStr% jumped to 10%+ w/ an elite ground ball rate (like 75%+).  Tucker Barnhart asked him to throw (the two-seamer), and all of a sudden in a month it was his second best pitch.”

• Like 1

His FIP was 3.75 with the 3.12 ERA. He's definitely someone who could become elite.  His WHIP and BB rate have very gradually improved to become actually very solid also.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zstlj said:

His FIP was 3.75 with the 3.12 ERA. He's definitely someone who could become elite.  His WHIP and BB rate have very gradually improved to become actually very solid also.  

So glad he got traded away from Miami before Jeter took over.  The Reds look like the Yankees compared to having to pitch for the Marlins.  And that is even with pitching in a hitters' ball park there too,

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

So glad he got traded away from Miami before Jeter took over.  The Reds look like the Yankees compared to having to pitch for the Marlins.  And that is even with pitching in a hitters' ball park there too,

Exactly, after watching him though he will\has  dominated mlb hitters. The circle change is wicked 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Cincinnati is one of my least favorite since cards always there . anything Right field i say is gone off bat 

I would love to have L. Castillo on my team. I think he has a very high ceiling. Tried trading for him several times with no luck yet. Don’t want to over pay, but on the other hand, want to get him before he has an SP1 price tag.

On 1/11/2018 at 6:30 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Is razzball this behind the curve that they think he is a sleeper?

they have blackmon ranked 17th or something and kershaw not in the top 20....so yea they are lol

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Worried about his smaller frame. Lots of stress on the arm.

That's what I thought when I first saw Chris Sale.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Worried about his smaller frame. Lots of stress on the arm.

Yeah also the Sale thing about the "inverted W" too.  Most pitchers are either too small, too tall, too heavy, too skinny, too old, too young, have inverted letters of the alphabet arms etc etc etc.  Goldilocks would have a hard time drafting any pitcher in fantasy baseball.  Wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah also the Sale thing about the "inverted W" too.  Most pitchers are either too small, too tall, too heavy, too skinny, too old, too young, have inverted letters of the alphabet arms etc etc etc.  Goldilocks would have a hard time drafting any pitcher in fantasy baseball.  Wouldn't worry about it.

Here here.  Dealt Chris Sale in a dynasty for this reason 3 years ago.  Have regretted it ever since.  Not all connective tissue is equal.  Pretty sure I'd rather have Castillo and his small frame over Ohtani and his heavy splitter usage.

Edited by ragrag
  • Like 1

Do you guys think he will deal with innings restrictions? Health pending, will they allow 200 IP?

(minors + majors IP)

2015: 107.0

2016: 131.2

2017: 169.2

2018 190-200 IP????

20 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Do you guys think he will deal with innings restrictions? Health pending, will they allow 200 IP?

(minors + majors IP)

2015: 107.0

2016: 131.2

2017: 169.2

2018 190-200 IP????

They should right? that would be the natural progression of things.