azeri98

Luis Castillo 2018 Outlook

16 minutes ago, daguyondacouch said:

He was excellent in MIL until he was brought in again for the 7th when he definitely should not have been.

I dont know how much can be taken away from that start considering he completely owns Milwaukee going back to last year. That was and should have been one of his better starts thus far.

4 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I dont know how much can be taken away from that start considering he completely owns Milwaukee going back to last year. That was and should have been one of his better starts thus far.

Not much, but enough to say he HAS flashed something imo

11 hours ago, ragrag said:

I wish he'd get a mystery DL stint or AAA demotion.  Would make him a lot easier to hold vs an active bench spot.  In redraft I'd drop now, but in keepers it's a much trickier spot.

Cubs fans call that the Glendon Rusch DL for sucking. I don’t see it happening.  They aren’t going anywhere so odds are unless something actually is injured they are gonna throw him to the wolves to figure it out. 

Its probably to the point where most owners are gonna let him be someone else’s problem even with the high round it probably took to draft him. 

Im holding but he’s hanging on to the last part of the rope. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rrrrich46 said:

For those of us with no available bench spots its a tough spot. Even in a keeper.

Na man, in a keeper you can’t cut this dude regardless of how bad he is this year. 

I drafted this guy too high to bail in the first month. This year is hardly lost. Lots of time, we just need to watch his matchups for the next few starts and hope he gets on track. I  have faith in the kid. ...... but that won't last forever. 

Arm angle problems, let's pray it's not an arm issue that's causing him not to get on top of the ball.  *knocks on wood*

Edited by Tugginroot

2 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Arm angle problems, let's pray it's not an arm issue that's causing him not to get on top if the ball.  *knocks on wood*

“We have three really good pitching guys here,” Reds manager Jim Riggleman said. “Danny Darwin has had him in the past, Ted (Power) has had him the last year. (Derrin) Ebert has looked at a lot of film on him. They all agree that his arm angle has changed a little bit. His hand is maybe not getting on top of the ball like it needs to. What that does, is it causes the ball to flatten out instead of sink. Hitters love that when the ball moves (flat) across the plate instead of having some sink. It’s kind of running right into their barrel.”

If the schedule allowed it, the Reds would skip Castillo. 

“We could even get him two bullpen sessions to get his arm angle to where we want, skipping a start,” Riggleman said. “His day to pitch is Wednesday. It would have been nice to let him take a step back and get two bullpen sessions with the coaches and get him straightened out.”

Unless he’s overcompensating for an injury this is good news.  Mechanical flaw is correctable in short order usually with good coaches who know how to correct it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Arm angle problems, let's pray it's not an arm issue that's causing him not to get on top of the ball.  *knocks on wood*

Was that reported somewhere, or just an observation?

Never mind, just saw the following post.

Edited by 89Topps

My favorite thread on this forum. Such polarizing opinions.

15 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

Arm angle problems

That remains to be seen.

Mechanical problems make a lot of sense for a young pitcher. Once upon a time, even Max Scherzer had mechanical issues to sort through before he stopped walking 3 batters per 9 innings.

Edited by UberRebel
  • Like 1

Currently has the second-worst fastball (based on pitch values) in baseball this season, only better than Hamels. Other guys around him are Archer, Gausman, G. Richards, and Strasburg.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Currently has the second-worst fastball (based on pitch values) in baseball this season, only better than Hamels. Other guys around him are Archer, Gausman, G. Richards, and Strasburg.

Someone was listening to the Castillo focused Sleeper and the Bust.

Was really hoping for some positive outlooks in that podcast. But it seems real bleak. All comes back to that FB.

2 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Someone was listening to the Castillo focused Sleeper and the Bust.

Was really hoping for some positive outlooks in that podcast. But it seems real bleak. All comes back to that FB.

Definitely. Sporer and Pollack know their stuff. I still believe in Castillo's talent, but I wouldn't roster him right now in anything less than a 12-team league, and even that is pushing it.

I'd roster him in 12 teamers to see if he can work it out.  The bench spot is worth the upside right now.  If he gets dropped I will swoop right in there and sit on him for a few weeks at least.  

Could be weather, could be mechanical, could be partly some bad luck with umpires and strike zones... 

This is a case where just about all the peripherals say buy low (and don't sell low). Contact rate, swinging strike%, etc are at or better than they were last year. I'd bench for a few weeks, but I definitely can't recommend dropping or selling at a fraction of original value.

• Like 2

Players this talented get an extremely long leash on my teams.

Not even considering dropping.

• Like 3

One aspect is mental too.  Look at the Reds as a team.  They are starting to hit the ball and score runs.  This is a huge psychological boost for a pitcher knowing they don’t have to be perfect on every pitch if they want to give their team a chance to win.  They can just relax and pitch their game.  This mixed with the mechanics fix, he should be ok.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kittenmittons said:

I'd roster him in 12 teamers to see if he can work it out.  The bench spot is worth the upside right now.  If he gets dropped I will swoop right in there and sit on him for a few weeks at least.  

Could be weather, could be mechanical, could be partly some bad luck with umpires and strike zones... 

^ yep this is my approach for now.  It's slowly getting harder but I will not be rolling him out for at least his next 2 starts...if not 3-4.  Too much potential to give up just yet.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LJJr said:

^ yep this is my approach for now.  It's slowly getting harder but I will not be rolling him out for at least his next 2 starts...if not 3-4.  Too much potential to give up just yet.

This is where I am.  I think I'm bought in for sitting him on my bench for a couple more starts.  If he's still getting bombed, then I've got no choice but to drop.  If they're, at least promising, then I'll probably continue to hold.

this isn't encouraging. the pitch that he had success with last season isn't working this season.

maybe because of loss of velocity? last year his sinker was 97.0 MPH. this season it's 95.9 MPH.

last season his sinker had 1.7 value. this season it's -3.4.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=15689&position=P