azeri98

Luis Castillo 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

I watched the entire start. He retired the first 16 batters he faced. 5.1 perfect innings with 7 Ks. His fastball location was really strong the whole night up until the Cespedes walk (which was his last batter faced). 

 

The changeup was absolutely sensational last night. He threw it 22 times and generated 10 swinging strikes (17 total strikes). His one mistake however was a changeup left up in the zone to Wilmer Flores. This was definitely a Great American Small Park Special:

 

https://twitter.com/DingerTracker/status/994012288809078786

 

Perhaps the most encouraging sign for me however, was his four seam fastball. He was throwing it more often than his sinker/two seamer which hasn't been effective for him this year. I heard Tom Verducci on MLB Network talking about how the 2-Seam fastball is the easiest pitch to square up last night. First I've heard of that, but it comes from a solid source.

 

It was his new pitch last year and I think he got a little trigger happy with it this year and is learning to just trust the hard 4-seamer. He was able to blow it by A-Gon and Cespedes last night going up in the zone. 5af2f03336930_PitchInfo.thumb.GIF.157bd3794de4a333125cba8c9e2ced87.GIF

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Akecheta said:

Patience is rewarded...aaaaaand I accidentally left him on my bench. I'm happy he's turned it around though. 

 

Wish I could say the same.. I dropped him about 2 weeks ago.  I hope he does good ROS 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazyfingers711 said:

 

Wish I could say the same.. I dropped him about 2 weeks ago.  I hope he does good ROS 

Try trading back for him...I drafted him, traded him away for Jean Segura, then was able to trade for him again, giving up Mike Folty. I know this is a "cool story bro" type of post, but my point is, you may be able to trade for him; it won't hurt to try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rag9876 said:

Anyone brave enough to start today?

 

Sure.  The Dodgers haven't been good at all recently.  It's not like I trust Castillo completely again but it's not exactly a match-up to avoid either.

Edited by Baur10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great.  Left in too long yet again.  Dominant start and needed to be taken out and isn’t.  Bomb to grandal.  These guys and the Mets staff are neck and neck as most incompetent when it comes to pitchers.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear, every time he comes out the game with a runner(s) on the freakin relievers let them score.  His strand rate must be god awful...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Triple Crown25 said:

Great.  Left in too long yet again.  Dominant start and needed to be taken out and isn’t.  Bomb to grandal.  These guys and the Mets staff are neck and neck as most incompetent when it comes to pitchers.

Line should have read 6 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 8 K

 

Instead it is 6 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 8 K

 

Was obvious he was done at 93 pitches and they send him out for the 7th. Ridiculous. At least he got the QS and maybe another chance to buy low if you haven't already.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22/2 k/walks his last 3 starts, he back. 

Edited by chud12
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Triple Crown25 said:

Great.  Left in too long yet again.  Dominant start and needed to be taken out and isn’t.  Bomb to grandal.  These guys and the Mets staff are neck and neck as most incompetent when it comes to pitchers.

Nah man, let him get his pitch count up to 120 or so 3rd time through... :/

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

Line should have read 6 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 8 K

 

Instead it is 6 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 8 K

 

Was obvious he was done at 93 pitches and they send him out for the 7th. Ridiculous. At least he got the QS and maybe another chance to buy low if you haven't already.

only 2 earned runs.  Crappy throw by Peraza let Bellinger get to third, otherwise he would be have stayed at second and never scored.  

Did I mention Peraza has to be the worst shortstop in MLB?

Edited by Southcoast57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Southcoast57 said:

only 2 earned runs.  Crappy throw by Peraza let Bellinger get to third, otherwise he would be have stayed at second and never scored.  

Did I mention Peraza has to be the worst shortstop in MLB?

Thankfully just 2ER then but the point still stands, left in too long yet again even though they have a new manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, street sharks said:

 

Really encouraging

 

 

A little sketchy about CHC @ Great American but I think he's good to go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never would have dropped this kid after a month. Have started him in every game in all of my leagues....and so far that hasn't been great. But its clear he is special and will do great this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly the Reds picked up on his arm angle changing in his April starts.  They had him go back to how he was throwing last season.  The results have spoken for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2018 at 9:01 AM, to_be_quite_frank said:

I watched the entire start. He retired the first 16 batters he faced. 5.1 perfect innings with 7 Ks. His fastball location was really strong the whole night up until the Cespedes walk (which was his last batter faced). 

 

The changeup was absolutely sensational last night. He threw it 22 times and generated 10 swinging strikes (17 total strikes). His one mistake however was a changeup left up in the zone to Wilmer Flores. This was definitely a Great American Small Park Special:

 

https://twitter.com/DingerTracker/status/994012288809078786

 

Perhaps the most encouraging sign for me however, was his four seam fastball. He was throwing it more often than his sinker/two seamer which hasn't been effective for him this year. I heard Tom Verducci on MLB Network talking about how the 2-Seam fastball is the easiest pitch to square up last night. First I've heard of that, but it comes from a solid source.

 

It was his new pitch last year and I think he got a little trigger happy with it this year and is learning to just trust the hard 4-seamer. He was able to blow it by A-Gon and Cespedes last night going up in the zone. 5af2f03336930_PitchInfo.thumb.GIF.157bd3794de4a333125cba8c9e2ced87.GIF

 

 

 

 

 

Following up on this developement.

 

Type Velo (Max) H-Break V-Break Count Strikes/% Swings/% Whiffs/% BIP(No Out) SNIPs/%  LWTS
FT (Two-seam Fastball) 94.9 (97.0) -9.73 4.97 16 11 / 68.8% 8 / 50.0% 1 / 6.3%  4 (3) 7 / 58.3% 2.66
FF (Four-seam Fastball) 95.4 (97.2) -8.50 7.16 48 31 / 64.6% 25 / 52.1% 10 / 20.8%  8 (2) 23 / 57.5% -2.18
CH (Changeup) 86.1 (87.3) -9.97 2.23 30 18 / 60.0% 14 / 46.7% 8 / 26.7%  2 (0) 16 / 57.1% -1.42
SL (Slider) 83.7 (84.7) -1.27 0.68 9 4 / 44.4% 1 / 11.1% 1 / 11.1%  0 (0) 4 / 44.4%

-0.00

 

 

Again we’re seeing Castillo pump his 4 seamer with more regularity. That 2 seamer is not a good pitch. At least not this year. It accounted for 3 of his 5 hits allowed. 

 

The 4 seamer however, was dominant today. 10 swinging strikes on a fastball is a lot. That’s really encouraging.

 

The changeup only generates 8 whiffs today. Continues to be one of the best swing and miss pitches in all of baseball.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looked good today, unfortunately I know the Dodgers don't hit. So while it's impressive, it's not that impressive. Still waiting for a dominant outing that makes me say wow rather than one that if you pick the right stream, you can find each day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/05/14/fantasy-baseball-odubel-herrera-freddy-peralta-new-york-yankees

 

After a terrible start to the season, Castillo has started to turn things around in his last three trips to the mound. He has allowed two earned runs in all of those starts across a total of 17 2/3 innings. What’s more, he has 22 strikeouts in that stretch against just two walks. This is the Castillo, or at least close to the Castillo, that we thought we would see this season. There’s reason enough to believe that the pitcher we have seen in May is a lot closer to the real version than the one we saw in April. He’ll make one start this week, taking the ball at some point during the Reds’ four-game weekend series against the Cubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.