azeri98

Luis Castillo 2018 Outlook

Got to watch a lot of him today.  Was on complete cruise control through 5.  Looked really sharp, really comfortable.  Good FB velo.  Breaking ball was nasty.

Got sloppy in the 6th and lost his command for a spell.  Walked a guy then grooved one to David Freeze and all of a sudden, what looked like 6 shutout, is 2 earned over 6.

Announcers were talking about how Castillo tends to come unraveled in the 6th, or right around 90 pitches.

To his credit, he got it together, K'd Dickerson, and induced a routine ground ball to get out of the inning.  Probably done for the day, at 90 pitches.

Tough to complain about a QS and 5 Ks, but would love to see him take that next step and battle through some fatigue around 90 pitches.

2 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

I have two more matchups with San Diego this week and a matchup with Arizona.  So yes, the Pirates scare me more than those.

Thanks for your solid input though.  Btw Bell and Polanco aren’t in the lineup today.  It’s cool if you want to show your arse and post, but at least get your facts right.

Here's a list of their opponents this month:

WAS

CHW

MIL 

SF

SD

CIN

Name a starting pitcher not on the Nationals that's worth a dam.

Bell and Polanco not in the lineup is even more reason to start him.

Wanna see Castillo's stats for the month of May? 26/7 K/BB 2.78/1.28 ERA/WHIP

Note: Has not given up more than 2 ER in any start(May)

Yea, bench him.

Edited by dkrocka

3 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Announcers were talking about how Castillo tends to come unraveled in the 6th, or right around 90 pitches.

It's the whole 3rd time through the lineup thing people are all over now

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Got to watch a lot of him today.  Was on complete cruise control through 5.  Looked really sharp, really comfortable.  Good FB velo.  Breaking ball was nasty.

Got sloppy in the 6th and lost his command for a spell.  Walked a guy then grooved one to David Freeze and all of a sudden, what looked like 6 shutout, is 2 earned over 6.

To his credit, he got it together, K'd Dickerson, and induced a routine ground ball to get out of the inning.  Probably done for the day, at 90 pitches.

Tough to complain about a QS and 5 Ks, but would love to see him take that next step and battle through some fatigue around 90 pitches.

You've certainly doomed him to come out for the 7th and give up 2 more runs

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

He will keep improving. He hasn't had those dominating starts yet but look how much better he has been the last 5 starts compared to the beginning of the season.

Over last 5 starts his highest era is 3.18. I think he will finish the season around the 3 mark

• Like 2

1 minute ago, street sharks said:

You've certainly doomed him to come out for the 7th and give up 2 more runs

Fortunately the Reds put together a little rally and they've pinch hit for him.  So, day is done. :lol:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Fortunately the Reds put together a little rally and they've pinch hit for him.  So, day is done. :lol:

Thank god. Any time this guy has a decent line through 6, I selfishly pray his day is done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

I watched only the first 4, and he got the results. But cruise control? And sharp?
He displayed poor control throwing his changeup.
He controls his fastball much better, still he rarely hit anything near the spot the catcher asked. Several times he hit the outside black very nicely, except he was suppose to throw someplace else.
But at least he missed inside strike zone and not outside, like his last start when he was very erratic.
Watching parts of his last 2 starts, he reminds me a lot of a former Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez, who also had nice stuff but had poor control. Maybe that will come too.
But as long the results are good, it's all good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m just impressed he was able to get back on track and prevent his entire year from going down the drain. It’s pretty easy for it to happen in baseball, especially to a young player with minimal experience. We haven’t seen any of the gems from last season but I feel very good about him going forward this year and beyond.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

Here's a list of their opponents this month:

WAS

CHW

MIL 

SF

SD

CIN

Name a starting pitcher not on the Nationals that's worth a dam.

Bell and Polanco not in the lineup is even more reason to start him.

Wanna see Castillo's stats for the month of May? 26/7 K/BB 2.78/1.28 ERA/WHIP

Note: Has not given up more than 2 ER in any start(May)

Yea, bench him.

Sale (2.17ERA, .091Whip), Severino (2.35/.097),  Nola (2.37/1.02), Corbin (2.60/.091) , and Buehler (2.38/.097)come to mind. Granted those are season numbers and except for Buehler, all are 60+ innings.  Buehler with 34 innings.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Sale (2.17ERA, .091Whip), Severino (2.35/.097),  Nola (2.37/1.02), Corbin (2.60/.091) , and Buehler (2.38/.097)come to mind. Granted those are season numbers and except for Buehler, all are 60+ innings.  Buehler with 34 innings.

Related image

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Yea...I think he meant pitchers on the teams listed in the post...

• Haha 1

Dbacks haven’t hit a lick in a month. Knew they would destroy him. 

Eh, I believe that's it for me.  There are better options on the wire in a 10-team.  Hell even a ratio fixing middle reliever is better.

Edited by DemOrioles
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm considering tapping out in a 12 teamer as well. The highs just haven't been high enough to warrant the lows. Excellent raw stuff but when he loses control it's all over. 

• Like 4

I don't know why this is news, unless I missed something.

EDIT: after looking at the schedule Bailey was set to pitch Sunday and then Castillo on Tuesday after the off day on Monday.

Sunday's game will be in San Diego.

Edited by SpecialFNK

2 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Well, he was scheduled for the Tuesday outing against the Rockies and Bailey pitches on Sunday. I guess Jim finally gets tired of a starter with a first name "Homer"  

It’s not when I realize having him is a waste. 

With guys like Morton, Verlander, Buehler under my control at a late round; he’s squeezed out. I can’t sell him, because no one wants him or should. It’s not like I can hold beyond this year in a keeper with limits. Throwing him out there isn’t helping. 

For these reasons he’s so horrible to own. I don’t know what the play is. You release him you know he will help someone else too, that’s how he is 

He had 5 good starts before last night so I'm not sure what the big deal is. If I can take 5 good starts for every bad one i will take that all day. I'm not sure what arms you have on the wire in your leagues but in my 14 teamer he is miles above the upside and talent of any other pitcher there...I'll be holding all season and won't be surprised if he ends up finishing very strong and I think most people that drop will regret it unless the league is quite shallow

• Like 1

16 hours ago, street sharks said:

Peripherals don't mean jack if you can't throw strikes

I felt this way about Blake Snell last year too.  Gotta hold in keepers.  Better days ahead.

1 hour ago, richg24 said:

He had 5 good starts before last night so I'm not sure what the big deal is. If I can take 5 good starts for every bad one i will take that all day. I'm not sure what arms you have on the wire in your leagues but in my 14 teamer he is miles above the upside and talent of any other pitcher there...I'll be holding all season and won't be surprised if he ends up finishing very strong and I think most people that drop will regret it unless the league is quite shallow

That's debatable.

I have a hard time calling 11 baserunners over 5 IP with 4 Ks a "good" start.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

EDIT: after looking at the schedule Bailey was set to pitch Sunday and then Castillo on Tuesday after the off day on Monday.

Sunday's game will be in San Diego.

Ugh it's like an abusive relationship. A matchup at Petco looks nice. Maybe this time will be different? Maybe he really did change...

Edited by Baur10