azeri98

Luis Castillo 2018 Outlook

What an embarassing meltdown.  Total domination for 4 innings.  Then in the 5th single, single, walk, force out, and leaves a slider up for Renfroe for a grand slam.  Terrible execution and even a worse pitch call. 

This cat is a mental midget - continuously melts down at the slightest hint of adversity

• Like 2

Yep he’s hard to own.  Looked dominant last season and looks like a high schooler this season.

Just now, Del Rio said:

This cat is a mental midget - continuously melts down at the slightest hint of adversity

Yep that is what seems to be the case.  As soon as he gets a runner or two on, he just loses all confidence and looks terrible out there.

He has no faith in his change or slider. Pumps gas and tries to muscle through it. If he ever regains control and confidence in his off speed stuff he'll turn the corner. In the meantime, this will keep happening. 

The Reyes single and Galvis weren't bad.  Reyes had a seeing eye grounder up the middle that wasnt hit hard.  Galvis bunted.  Those two are forgivable, and a good pitcher would simply buckle down and get out of it against the bottom of an awful lineup.  The Margot walk is inexcusable.  The guy is hitting .213 and this guy tries to nibble as if it was Trout at the plate.  Overthrows.  Cant locate.  The GS to Renfroe was just dumb.  Hanging slider of the worst kind.

He has all the potential in the world, but he just doesn’t attack hitters. He gets ahead 0-2 and 1-2 and then gets cute and runs counts full. It caught up with him in the 5th with bases loaded PH grand slam by Renfroe. 1-2 count and he hangs his 3rd best pitch over the plate and it’s promptly deposited into the western metal supply seats. This kid needs to start attacking hitters while ahead in count. 

I am so cutting.  Like a poster said above somewhere, the highs aren’t good enough to justify holding through the lows this year. 

• Like 1

They should send him down. This bum has no business being on a MLB roster right now.

• Like 1

Edited by tonycpsu
Chest thumping removed.
  • Thanks 1

It just seems like a vicious cycle at this point. He doesn't have confidence with men on, and he keeps letting men on, so his confidence just keeps going down. He never gets in a groove long enough to snap out of the mental slump.

Seems like he really does need an MiLB stint to fix his confidence. Let him mow down some AAA kids for a few games and get back to attacking the zone.

• Like 2

The 10 pitch single to Reyes, followed by  an infield single, and then a 9 pitch walk to Margot just wore him out. Reyes and Margot just kept fouling off good pitches.   Had Renfro down 0-2 before the granny.

So close. Just couldn't finish em in the 5th.

1 minute ago, treat88 said:

The 10 pitch single to Reyes, followed by  an infield single, and then a 9 pitch walk to Margot just wore him out. Reyes and Margot just kept fouling off good pitches.   Had Renfro down 0-2 before the granny.

But doesn’t stuff like this happen one way or another literally every outing. It’s literally every outing where he seems to either impodw early or implode in the 6th or 7th to than have the manager yank him to stop the bleeding. It’s literally been every outing this year, never one with smooth sailing. 

It's the same stuff every outing. Cruises, then once two guys manage to get on base everything unravels. This dude doesn't know how to get out of innings.

Edited by street sharks

1 hour ago, chud12 said:

But doesn’t stuff like this happen one way or another literally every outing. It’s literally every outing where he seems to either impodw early or implode in the 6th or 7th to than have the manager yank him to stop the bleeding. It’s literally been every outing this year, never one with smooth sailing. 

Yes, I agree something like this has happened every outing.

I don't know, just seems like more of a mental issue than a talent issue.  Just doesn't have confidence in his stuff when he's got guys down or guys on.

I may just be making excuses for him too, as I really believed in this arm. 

Edited by treat88

2 hours ago, treat88 said:

If they keep fouling them off, then they aren't  very good pitches imo. He's totally lost the ability to out hitters away. Hard to explain, just such a night and day difference from last year.

He just doesn't have a consistent off speed pitch.  Yea he flashes a wipe out slider once in a while but one or two bad sliders can equate to 4 runs which is what we saw today.   Every MLB pitcher flashes great off speed pitches but few are consistent with one.  Consistency with those pitches is what separates the good pitchers from the bad ones.

I am not sure he should even be on a fantasy roster.  He was on the wire in my competitive deep league up until yesterday.  Streaming might be a better option.

He's definitely off my roster, rather take a chance on some streamers, and if you have anyone decent like Heaney, you gotta make the swap. We've seen this rodeo one too many times.

God. I dropped Rich Hill last year at the end of June and he was an ace for the rest of the season... on someone else's team.

That move has haunted me cause I can't help but feel that will happen again if I drop Castillo even though I want to.

It's a long season though. It's the beginning of June. There's still practically 4 months left of the season.

• Like 2

is there something noticeable different than he is doing this season from last season? he was great in the 2nd half last season (3.12 ERA, 0.96 WHIP) so I would think he still has to have that potential/upside.

Let’s keep in mind, this guy was off the radar before getting the call up in 2017. Once called up, he semi dominated, became everyone’s darling. Now he’s just reverted to what he really was. Off the radar. Besides, he’s a Cincy Red, a total dumpster fire. I’m bailing on everyone not named Votto and Suarez. And I’m accepting offers on Votto if anyone’s stupid enough to make one. I’ll drop Castillo for the next new shinny toy

2 hours ago, Chickie said:

Let’s keep in mind, this guy was off the radar before getting the call up in 2017. Once called up, he semi dominated, became everyone’s darling. Now he’s just reverted to what he really was. Off the radar. Besides, he’s a Cincy Red, a total dumpster fire. I’m bailing on everyone not named Votto and Suarez. And I’m accepting offers on Votto if anyone’s stupid enough to make one. I’ll drop Castillo for the next new shinny toy

Scooter Gennett sheds a single tear...

• Haha 1