azeri98

Luis Castillo 2018 Outlook

How is this guy even rosterable anymore in 12 team leagues??  

• Like 1

I'm a total Castillo stan. I won't give up on his career but I'm about to give up on the season. It's time to drop you. Goodnight sweet prince

• Like 2

At what point do you cut bait in keepers?  Love the stuff and he could be the next Severino/Snell if he can get his head together.  Just sucks to have a guy sucking up a bench spot for the rest of the season.  Obv can't start him unless ratios are already lost and you're just chasing K's.

22 minutes ago, beauso79 said:

How is this guy even rosterable anymore in 12 team leagues??  

He's not

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ragrag said:

At what point do you cut bait in keepers?  Love the stuff and he could be the next Severino/Snell if he can get his head together.  Just sucks to have a guy sucking up a bench spot for the rest of the season.  Obv can't start him unless ratios are already lost and you're just chasing K's.

Hang tight in keepers.  This isn’t an unfixable project.  His secondary pitches are good his fastball mechanics are out of whack.  Reds said in April or early May they wish they could skip him to fix his fastball arm angle.  He’s likely tipping the pitch, or not repeating the delivery enough to get the arm angle he had last year.  He could benefit from a minor league stint.  Either way long term I still think there’s a lot to like here.  Could be a lost year.  In redraft I couldn’t blame people if they cut.  

Edited by Cmilne23

32 minutes ago, ragrag said:

I'm cutting bait in my 12 team league where you keep 6. I just can't invision a scenario where I keep him this year 1 of only 6 keepers. I can see you keeping him if you were in more of a dynasty league 

seems an awful lot like severino's lost year. holding for next year in dynasty. cut everywhere else. 

I consider myself a patient owner — haven’t complained about Votto one bit this year for example.al

At this point, I think it’s time for me to cut bait and maximize the utility of the roster spot he takes up.

3 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

I consider myself a patient owner — haven’t complained about Votto one bit this year for example.al

At this point, I think it’s time for me to cut bait and maximize the utility of the roster spot he takes up.

From one Castillo/Bird owner to another...Patience is our middle name.

to quote Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses, all we need is just a little patience.

14 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

to quote Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses, all we need is just a little patience.

original.gif

• Haha 1

This is just not his year, I could see him being a late round steal next year though, similar to getting Severino for free last year after an awful sophomore year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, treat88 said:

Not a mathematician, but I wonder what the odds are to give up 5 consecutive singles.

The kid has good stuff, but lacks command and polish.  Just misses over the middle far too often.

At this point, I question the mental aspect of his game too.  Seems like his implosions all start with a BB and he just goes downhill from there.  Seems like he just cant handle any type of high leverage situation at all.

Sounds like a young Felix Hernandez.

Change of scenery.  Getting zero help from his coaching staff.  They inspire zero confidence.  He’s mentally weak at this point in his career.  Up to a coach to uncork his potential consistently.  Just my opinion.  

It reminds me so much of Severino's second year. Had grreat underlying stuff but it wasn't translating. Could be sequencing, command, whatever

image.thumb.png.89a056ca5452f62d406f85831b83f253.png

image.png.a6dceec60c31fd68a507e51fae4d1d0e.png

Spoooooooky

• Like 5

1 minute ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

It reminds me so much of Severino's second year. Had grreat underlying stuff but it wasn't translating. Could be sequencing, command, whatever

Only reason why I haven't dropped him in my dynasty league, he looks like he has the stuff to become an ace but there seems to be a mental block preventing it. I can be patient tho, hopefully next year will be a launching pad for good things to come.

39 minutes ago, pjoner said:

not a bad outing tonight, 6 2/3, 6 K's, 1.35 ERA

Great outing w 21 whiffs.  Would have had none earned if he hadn't gotten screwed by the atrociousness that is the Reds bullpen.

LC was at 100 and imo could have recorded that final out.  Instead they brought Amir Garrett's a** in there who promptly gave up a double to Moncada scoring LC's runner, and then nearly walked Sanches before throwing him a meatball and allowing him to reach.  Amir was pulled after his contribution.  bleh.

Anyway, good start by Castillo.  It was the White Sox with a limited Abreu so there's that. Definitely benching @CHC this weekend tho.  

Edited by ragrag
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mevins31 said:

Still found a way to not get the W against a miserable team

Right!? Because he absolutely has control over that....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 7/3/2018 at 6:55 AM, Letitbe793 said:

Right!? Because he absolutely has control over that....

Did you watch the game? He gave up several runs while in the lead.... I would say he had some control over it.

• Haha 1

a couple days later :D  lol.   at least hes been better than godley. ill give him a few more starts before a drop