azeri98

Johnny Cueto 2018 Outlook

It's been bad, but he wasn't going to put up a sub 1 era the whole way so these starts were bound to happen. Glad I haven't started him since he came off the DL though. I think you have to just wait and see for a few more games since sometimes it takes a while to hit a groove coming back from injury. I probably won't start him until he shows me something though. Definitely benching for his next start vs the Brewers

Yeah definitely not digging the long balls.  The pitch count efficiency was at least a positive last night.  And he hadn’t given up a walk till later in the start (can’t recall the exact inning(s).  But as said before, the FIP and xFIP are alarming.  He can work with reduced velocity as he has a lot of deception and different deliveries.  But when he misses he is gonna get lit up at 89.  

19 hours ago, street sharks said:

It's been bad, but he wasn't going to put up a sub 1 era the whole way so these starts were bound to happen. Glad I haven't started him since he came off the DL though. I think you have to just wait and see for a few more games since sometimes it takes a while to hit a groove coming back from injury. I probably won't start him until he shows me something though. Definitely benching for his next start vs the Brewers

Obviously no one is going to maintain a sub 1 ERA all year and Cueto was getting a ton of luck in April for sure.  Still though, he was pitching pretty well and his low-3s FIP and xFIP in April, while not elite and a far cry from his sub 1 ERA, was perfectly respectable.  I thought he was on his way to a not elite, but solid, season.

However, since returning he's looked like a totally different pitcher, with his ERA, FIP, and xFIP all over 6 since his return, and he hasn't shown any signs of his velocity returning.  I understand your argument about holding and benching and you make some good points.  However, I don't think it would be crazy to cut him either.

I think the decision whether to cut or hold comes down to this question: In your specific league context, how long can you afford to waste a roster spot on someone who like you said is unstartable for the foreseeable future given that there is only 2 months left in the season?  In a lot of leagues, having a free roster spot that you can use to stream pitchers against bad teams is pretty valuable.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:35 AM, Steelers72 said:

You dont cut Cueto. He just came back from a long term injury. Wait it out. Guy is a proven stud even with his age

I'm obviously benching Cueto tonight vs MIL, but he needs to show me some improvement tonight if I'm going to keep him on my roster considering it's the very end of July already.  It really would not have been possible for him to look any worse since coming off the DL.  It literally looks like he is throwing batting practice out there.

I feel like I'm only hanging onto Cueto because of his good starts at the beginning of the year.

Like I'm trying to ignore the elephant in the room that was last season when he was awful, and the fact his peripherals from this season look similar to last years.

His velo is also down from last year.

Thoughts?

Edited by street sharks

On 7/24/2018 at 8:35 AM, Steelers72 said:

You dont cut Cueto. He just came back from a long term injury. Wait it out. Guy is a proven stud even with his age

I finally did what I should have done a long time ago and cut Johnny Cueto.  He's gotten shelled every single start since his return.  Thankfully, I've had him benched for all of the start, but still I wasted a roster spot on this bum for the past month.  It's the end of July, you can't keep wasting a roster spot on a guy who's unstartable right now and honestly looks like he's not going to be startable any time soon.

It's been over a month since he returned from the DL, so it's really hard to still blame it on rust.  He hasn't just been bad.  He's literally been the SINGLE WORST pitcher in baseball the past month.

When the injury happened everyone thought he was going to have Tommy John surgery, and he sure doesn't look healthy to me.  His velocity is still down over 2 mph from where it was in April and hasn't shown any sign of trending back upwards. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes back on the DL soon or even finally has Tommy John surgery soon. 

17 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I feel like I'm only hanging onto Cueto because of his good starts at the beginning of the year.

Like I'm trying to ignore the elephant in the room that was last season when he was awful, and the fact his peripherals from this season look similar to last years.

His velo is also down from last year.

Thoughts?

His velocity in April was about the same as his velocity last year, but his velocity since his return is down over 2 mph from April.

He was obviously getting lucky to have a sub 1 ERA, but his FIP and xFIP were solid (low 3s) even though not elite.  Since his return, his ERA, FIP, and xFIP are all over 6.

So to me the elephant in the room is that he doesn't look healthy after the injury morseo than his performance last year.  Either way, I feel it's time to cut him rather than continue to waste a roster spot on him.

Love the guy. Took me to 2 fantasy titles but this is not good. Almost want to elect to drop and let a league mate try and grab him and free a spot on my roster for something, someone, anyone. Yikes.  There's no way this year.anymore. Ugh.  Obviously waiting for reiults first before just dropping a stud Ace.

Another team that doesn’t know how to handle elbows, he should have had TJ surgery months ago and started his recovery time

I'm guessing he is a drop. Should we wait for more news or is it almost certain he will be shutdown?? 

I'm asking that same question but honestly it doesn't look good. I would be surprised if he pitched again this season. 

Giants general manager Bobby Evans said Johnny Cueto (elbow) is likely headed back to the disabled list Monday.

Cueto still felt pain in his elbow while allowing four runs over four innings Saturday against the Brewers. He was scheduled to meet with doctors on Sunday, so more should be known on his status by the middle of the week. Cueto already missed a couple of months during the first half due a sprained right elbow, so there's reason for concern here.

Jul 30 - 9:29 AM

How does this not end in surgery?

Just now, ToO_BaD said:

How does this not end in surgery?

No idea but I think all hope is lost at this point. It's really unfortunate and I feel for the guy given the turn of events from 2015 to now. He had an amazing run from teh 2nd half of 2015 that lasted through 2016, a pretty horrible 2017, then starts 2018 looking like a CY Young candidate then gets hurt. I've already got a waiver claim in that clears Wednesday and Cueto is my drop.

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

No idea but I think all hope is lost at this point. It's really unfortunate and I feel for the guy given the turn of events from 2015 to now. He had an amazing run from teh 2nd half of 2015 that lasted through 2016, a pretty horrible 2017, then starts 2018 looking like a CY Young candidate then gets hurt. I've already got a waiver claim in that clears Wednesday and Cueto is my drop.

Yeah I dropped.  Ineffective since his return and an unknown diagnosis and timetable this time around.  No thanks.

Any recent examples of TJ at his age? Doesn’t seem like there would be a high success rate. 

Giants manager Bruce Bochy said Monday that there is a "strong possibility" Johnny Cueto (elbow) will undergo Tommy John surgery.