JeterPimpedUrGF

Corey Kluber 2018 Outlook

Coming off his second Cy Young award and at the ripe old age of 31 what can we expect going forward. Where does he rank among the game's top arms. 

Kershaw

Scherzer

Sale

Bumgarner

Kluber

Syndergaard

Strasburg

Am I ranking it wrong/forgetting someone?

Edited by JeterPimpedUrGF

In 5x5, I'm seeing most people prefer Kluber over Bumgarner and maybe Sale as well.  I'd go Clayton, Max, Sale, Kluber, but the two AL guys are really close.  The tiebreaker for me is that Sale doesn't have quite as many miles on him.  I can also see choosing Sale's stupid-high K numbers over Kluber's stupid-low ERA, since strikeouts tend to be harder to find.

Haven't seen anything about a hip issue.

Kluber is an absolute horse.  Had him last year and besides a couple of blowups here and there he pretty much gave me 8 ip, 2 er or less, and 10+ k's every outing.  I play H2H points and if he had a two start week, I pretty much won that week.  I like to go for reliability with SP1 so he's pretty much my #1 SP going into next year.  I like my SP1 to be able to go 230+ innings so it's Klubot, Scherzer, Sale, & Bum as my top SP's.  I can't count on the other guys on your list to pitch 230+ innings.

Klubot's K rate seemed to improve as the season progressed.  He was double digits quite a bit in the second half whereas Sale was once again not as consistent down the stretch.  

While Sale is 3 years younger, Sale has had 6 seasons with a fairly regular workload whereas Kluber has had 5 such seasons.  I wouldn't knock CK down below Sale due simply to this.  I can see an argument either way though because of Sale's overall K rate and a probably the best shot at 300 K's in all of MLB if he remains consistent.

what is Kluber's issue with April?

April 2017- 4.19 - 1.25

April 2016- 4.24 - 1.00

April 2015- 4.24 - 1.26

April 2014- 4.14 - 1.51

Kluber is an absolute stud # 2 SP, I've seen him #1 BUT I want to say owners should start to be thinking about selling him in dynasty and keeper leagues, his value won't be any higher than right now and his value could plummet quickly.

IP

2014: 235.2

2015: 222.0

2016: 215.0

2017: 203.2

23 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Kluber is an absolute stud # 2 SP, I've seen him #1 BUT I want to say owners should start to be thinking about selling him in dynasty and keeper leagues, his value won't be any higher than right now and his value could plummet quickly.

IP

I think that is the a general trend among all starters with the increased bullpen usage due to all the analytics.  Agree that Kluber is probably at peak value, but even a small step back keeps him elite.

15 minutes ago, svdude said:

I think that is the a general trend among all starters with the increased bullpen usage due to all the analytics.  Agree that Kluber is probably at peak value, but even a small step back keeps him elite.

Oh totally, he should be elite next season and the season after. It's just he's 32 and all it will take is a 140-150 IP (due to mild injury) or a 3.50 era season and his value will never be the same

5 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

April 2017- 4.19 - 1.25

April 2016- 4.24 - 1.00

April 2015- 4.24 - 1.26

April 2014- 4.14 - 1.51

He seems to do well in warmer weather.  Back tightness last year was the reason for lack of early usage on his cutter and slider (very similar offerings, different breaks) and that slurve thing which is probably his most wicked pitch.  Those dominated post injury and he didn't even need his sinker much anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

April 2017- 4.19 - 1.25

April 2016- 4.24 - 1.00

April 2015- 4.24 - 1.26

April 2014- 4.14 - 1.51

Have you been in Cleveland or the AL Central in general in April?  Brrrrr.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2018 at 11:31 AM, Ecofolux said:

IP

Could be weather related, could be small sample size. It doesn't matter to me, if you look at his overall numbers each of those seasons he was elite. I don't expect that to change.

• Like 2

Wouldn't be surprised if the cold weather has an adverse effect on his lower back (a problem that seems to crop up somewhat often with him). Would somewhat explain his slow starts and you could even chalk his October performances against the Yankees up to it as well. 

2 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Hey everybody, Kluber gets the Tigers tomorrow. B)

7326c602739614b441a7dfebbaab8348.jpg

All I want for Christmas is some offence for my sweet klubot when he pitches.

Posted (edited)

Best pitcher in baseball.

Edited by ZChronicNebula

Performances like tonight's are nothing new for Kluber, and it was Detroit, but you still have to give credit where credit is due.  He was absolutely dominant tonight, and even though he's had two pretty good starts already before tonight, this was undoubtedly his best of the season so far.

I'd like to hear an argument for why he isn't the best pitcher in baseball at this point.

He is incredible. Machine-like. A dazzling dominator with elite raw stuff and a mastery of pitching. 

It's a treat to watch him pitch. 

• Like 1

That 2 seamer was downright incredible tonight. 8(!) strikeouts on 3 pitches tonight. Allen's fault it was 3er not 2.