JeterPimpedUrGF

Corey Kluber 2018 Outlook

6 minutes ago, RToTheIzzo said:

Just another day

I like how no one even batted an eye last week

1 minute ago, ZChronicNebula said:

I like how no one even batted an eye last week

Even Kluber is allowed one off game.... a season. ;)

His mom has been a no-show this year.

• Like 1

Saw a good stat on today's broadcast.  Kluber had 26 straight starts with 3 ER or fewer prior to the start before last, which is tied for an AL record.  Plus he is like 70-0 with 4+ run support.

Didn't watch game tonight and haven't seen anything posted about his awful start, but for anyone who watched or listened to broadcast, did they indicate it might be any kind of injury, or does it just seem like an off night?  

24 minutes ago, svdude said:

Didn't watch game tonight and haven't seen anything posted about his awful start, but for anyone who watched or listened to broadcast, did they indicate it might be any kind of injury, or does it just seem like an off night?  

He was having issues with the mound, but it was just a bad start. He'll be back to normal in his next start. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, svdude said:

We just get so used to his automatic starts that we forget he is human sometimes lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ToO_BaD said:

We just get so used to his automatic starts that we forget he is human sometimes lol.

Exactly.  It never happens quite that epically bad with him, but he's still human.  That was actually the first time he had ever loaded the bases this season, which was almost as mind blowing as what happened last night.

Like Fuzzy said, he'll be back to normal next time out.  Even he was due for regression.  It just didn't have to happen all at once. :)

• Like 1

Every game gives him an opportunity to learn and grow, he'll be  back better than ever next start.

FWIW it was his shortest MLB outing.  So we can definitely chalk this up to an outlier.

• Like 1

K rate has been down this year.

Still elite but Sale and Scherzer in another tier.

7 hours ago, Magoo said:

K rate has been down this year.

Still elite but Sale and Scherzer in another tier.

That is has, and it really makes no sense since up until last night he was pitching better than he ever has, but I think he's still firmly up in their tier still.  A guy that went out and did what he did start after start (before last night) deserves to be up there with the best of the best even if his K rate isn't up to their level this season.  Roughly 1 K per inning is still enough to go hand in hand with terrific ratios and his 11 Win total.

At first glance one would think he's pitching to contact and being economical.  He is, and still walks a guy once per blue moon.  But the whiff rate has dropped tremendously from 2015 from 15.6% to 10.7%.   That is his lowest mark since 2013 (year before breakout).

Thoughts on NYY tonight ? 

Kind of torn here as I'm facing the #1 team and a blow up will kill me in H2H. He only has 20 K's since Jun 15 also, doesn't seem like a lousy start would be somewhat salvaged with high K's either. I have multiple matchups this week so I've got some wiggle room who I start and sit. Usually I start him against anyone but NYY is a tough matchup home or away. 

Tough matchup, but I think he thrives in these situations. Just look at the home and away matchups vs the Astros. Big K's there, too. 

There are at least a handful of starting pitchers you don't sit no matter what the matchup is. Kluber is obviously one of them.

I sat him tonight, thank gosh. This was exactly the kind of start I hoped to avoid, although nice to see some K's tonight. I think he's a been a bit over worked earlier in the year and it's caught up to him. Wasn't that confident in him tonight even at home with the little funk he seems to be in. Hopefully a breather over the ASB does him some good and he can recharge for a nice second half. 

9 minutes ago, tonywow said:

I sat him tonight, thank gosh. This was exactly the kind of start I hoped to avoid, although nice to see some K's tonight. I think he's a been a bit over worked earlier in the year and it's caught up to him. Wasn't that confident in him tonight even at home with the little funk he seems to be in. Hopefully a breather over the ASB does him some good and he can recharge for a nice second half. 

One can hope.  While I'm obviously still nowhere near to the point of trading him or anything, hopefully the break (even though he'll likely pitch in the All-Star Game) will allow him to go on a crazy good run in the second half.  It wouldn't be the first time he's been ridiculous in the second half.

Doesn't look right. My guess is it's his annual back stiffness issue cropping up... ASB is coming at a good time for him but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a DL stint in the near future. 

Saw/heard about that yesterday, but that helps explain why he's been so un-Kluber like for the past month.

In a way, it's kind of a blessing that he had to get that injection.  Now he can rest and get ready for a strong second half instead of having to pitch in the All-Star game.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Saw/heard about that yesterday, but that helps explain why he's been so un-Kluber like for the past month.

In a way, it's kind of a blessing that he had to get that injection.  Now he can rest and get ready for a strong second half instead of having to pitch in the All-Star game.

oh ... I posted that just for you

didn't know you knew

Edited by shakestreet

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

oh ... I posted that just for you

didn't know you knew

Not sure if serious.  If so, thanks.  If not, then I just wasted time with this post. :)

It popped up on Rotoworld yesterday I believe, but no big deal if it was a day late.  Nobody else posted it in here.

Is the knee anything to worry about? Have a trade offer on the table for him.

1 hour ago, ammutch said:

Is the knee anything to worry about? Have a trade offer on the table for him.

I haven't read anything to suggest panic.  That trade offer more than likely tells you that an owner wants to snag him at the expense of a worried owner.  Don't bite (unless of course it is an amazing offer lol).

• Like 1