JeterPimpedUrGF

Corey Kluber 2018 Outlook

Watching a Francona interview from before the break, he was adamant Klubers issue wouldn't require a DL stint, that he just needed the shot he received and some rest. He's pitched poorly for some time now. 

We think his issues are simply mechanical or he's more banged up than Francona thought ?

18 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Watching a Francona interview from before the break, he was adamant Klubers issue wouldn't require a DL stint, that he just needed the shot he received and some rest. He's pitched poorly for some time now. 

We think his issues are simply mechanical or he's more banged up than Francona thought ?

Yeah he has given up 18 earned runs in his last 26 innings.  From what I had read, the issues with his knee were causing him to change his mechanics to help combat the pain - which is what could have attributed to his poorer starts before yesterday.  The injection was supposed to help, but if last night was any indication then he may require a DL stint or something more than just the shot.  But if we wanted to look at a tiny sliver of hope, he had a smooth first and third, and should have had a relatively smooth 2nd if Alonso hadn't committed the error (although I didn't get to watch the game so maybe it was a tough play).  So he would have gone through 3 innings with only a couple of hits although only 1 K.  But yes, he did still implode with two outs in the 2nd despite the error, and had a bad 4th.  Just trying to look at some silver lining lol.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

But if we wanted to look at a tiny sliver of hope, he had a smooth first and third, and should have had a relatively smooth 2nd if Alonso hadn't committed the error (although I didn't get to watch the game so maybe it was a tough play).  So he would have gone through 3 innings with only a couple of hits although only 1 K.  But yes, he did still implode with two outs in the 2nd despite the error, and had a bad 4th.  Just trying to look at some silver lining lol.

Alonso ran into Ramirez.  Before that Kipnis botched a ball on a sure fire double play.  He missed his spot very high on Harrison for a bomb of a homer.

I was about to say CLE has little to lose putting Kluber on the DL to mend up. Then I read Kluber saying yesterday his knee feels fine and was his mechanics he's still working that was an issue. I know the defense lapses and rain didn't help, but it will be interesting to see what happens his next start. This has been one of the roughest patches of his career. 

Edited by tonywow

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Has there been a worse pitcher in MLB over the past month?

Of his caliber?  No.  But worse stats wise, I’m sure.

2 hours ago, tonywow said:

I was about to say CLE has little to lose putting Kluber on the DL to mend up. Then I read Kluber saying yesterday his knee feels fine and was his mechanics he's still working that was an issue. I know the defense lapses and rain didn't help, but it will be interesting to see what happens his next start. This has been one of the roughest patches of his career. 

Keep in mind he might want to just push through a lingering issue. Trying to "help the team" 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Has there been a worse pitcher in MLB over the past month?

Dylan Bundy says hi

23 minutes ago, ktierne3 said:

Dylan Bundy says hi

July 26th - 1.2 innings, 2Ks, 32.40 era, 4.20 whip

July 2nd - 6 innings, 5Ks, 4.50 era, 1.17 whip

July 7th - 7 innings, 3Ks, 0.00 era. 1.00 whip

July 12th -7.1 innings, 9 Ks, 7.36 era, 1.36 whip

July 23rd - 4 innings, 2Ks, 6.75 era, 2.50 whip.

Doubt Bundy cost what Kluber did.

1 hour ago, rrrrich46 said:

Keep in mind he might want to just push through a lingering issue. Trying to "help the team" 

While Kluber seems like the kind of guy that would want to do that for better or for worse, I don't really see that as being the case here given the fact that their division is horrible.  There's really no incentive to pushing through an issue to help the team, so I have to believe that it's not physical.

15 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Bundy's Last month: 12 innings, 8 k's, 10.95 era, 2.03 whip, 0 wins. I have t looked at the aggregate stats you posted but it's not too far off the mark of what klubers done by the looks of it

:.(

I think he'll right the ship but the Indians should DL him and let him heal up. He's a beast but obviously he's not 100% right now. Depending on your situation he could be a risky (emphasis on risky) buy low (although most probably wouldnt sell him at even a slight discount I bet). 

Edited by ktierne3

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

You didn't specify in your OP about value vs stats.  You just simply asked if there was a worse pitcher in the MLB over the last month.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ToO_BaD said:

You didn't specify in your OP about value vs stats.  You just simply asked if there was a worse pitcher in the MLB over the last month.

Has there?

I havent seen any other stats posted to refute the claim.

18 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Has there?

Jason Hammel and his 12.71/2.59 with 9 Ks in 17 IP has to take the cake.

Edited by BMcP

12 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Has there?

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=10&type=8&season=2018&month=3&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=16,d

Kluber is 24th on that list of worst ERAs over the last month.

• Like 1

I also would like to know what ppl think. Do we view him as an ROS buy low or fools gold based on potential injury?

4 minutes ago, sharpee said:

I also would like to know what ppl think. Do we view him as an ROS buy low or fools gold based on potential injury?

If you can buy low on him I would

"At 6'4", weighing in at 215 pounds, welcome back to the mound....  KLUBOT!"

I think it's safe to say after tonight's masterpiece that Corey Kluber is officially back.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 3

Don't know what to think of Kluber come fantasy playoff time. He's been really inconsistent all year and just when you think he's back on track he follows up with 4 ER in 7 IP.

26 minutes ago, Yanks598 said:

Don't know what to think of Kluber come fantasy playoff time. He's been really inconsistent all year and just when you think he's back on track he follows up with 4 ER in 7 IP.

Honestly could have very easily been 3 ER if Cabrera caught the flyball hit by Rosario.  Even though it wasn't a routine play, he really should have caught it.  Even so, other than the 4 ER, he pitched good with a 1.00 WHIP and 7 K's and should have been in line for the win.

• Like 2

This was one of those starts where the box score tells a different story than if you watched him pitch. 

• Like 2