Carlos Correa

Joey Gallo 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

10 minutes ago, slowride said:

If any of his teammates feel like getting on base prior to his AB that'd be greeeaaaaaaatttttt (/lumberg voice)

bases were loaded in the 8th but he whiffed :D

• Haha 1

Tied in homers with Bryce Harper and 2nd in the MLB, only 4 less RBI's than Harper, too. Less BB's and more K's, but still, their ADP is separated by at least 100 picks. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Akecheta said:

Tied in homers with Bryce Harper and 2nd in the MLB, only 4 less RBI's than Harper, too. Less BB's and more K's, but still, their ADP is separated by at least 100 picks. 

i picked this dude up off the waivers in my 10 team after his cold streak earlier

• Like 2

hopefully his walk numbers creep back up, it is still early 

On 12/17/2017 at 8:59 AM, El_Chingon said:

Agreed. I could only LOL at that poster, who is a prime example of the kind of owner I love to take advantage of, looking only at AVG and Ks while completely ignoring OBP and SLG.    

any reason for optimism on the OBP right now? in an OPS league I guess patience is key but in H2H he can make your life miserable

Can’t get disheartened about today’s performance against a SL-throwing lefty

• Like 2

Not liking the direction of his swinging strike rate. Seems to be giving back the perceived gains from earlier in the season :unsure:

24 minutes ago, Pa.style said:

Like David Brooks said... BE MAN ENOUGH TO BUNT !

this is absolutely ridiculous 

needs to lay down a few bunts so this madness can stop

• Haha 1

That is beyond craziness.  How can he not just put the bat on the ball to direct it to the left side of the field?  You don't need precision - just anything rolling or flying in that direction is good.

7 hours ago, slowride said:

This mofo needs to get a hit.

Thank you. 2/3 HR

And it was an extreme oppo shot.  We’d all like to see more of those to stop this ridiculous shifting.

Sounded like he broke his bat on that oppo shot.  Had a weird sound to it. Nice shot though. 

From Gallo's latest RW blurb:

Joey Gallo told reporters that he's against the idea of playing third base again.
"I don't want. I don't like it," Gallo said on Wednesday. "I hate it, no joke. I hate third base. I'd rather catch. No joke." Tell us how you really feel, Joey. Gallo did also say that he'd make the switch if asked, but it doesn't sound like he's going to make the switch with Adrian Beltre on the disabled list, and it sure doesn't sound like the power-hitting outfielder is going to volunteer.

Notable for dynasty owners out there,  He hasn't had a 3B appearance yet this season, so if his 3B eligibility is important to your roster construction, it may be time to think about a trade.  Obviously the team could still say "tough noogies, get out there, kid", but the Rangers roster is flexible enough right now that they're probably going to try to keep him happy.

4 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Notable for dynasty owners out there,  He hasn't had a 3B appearance yet this season, so if his 3B eligibility is important to your roster construction, it may be time to think about a trade.  Obviously the team could still say "tough noogies, get out there, kid", but the Rangers roster is flexible enough right now that they're probably going to try to keep him happy.

This is a good point to make and put out there, but of his eligible positions I'm least worried about losing 3B, personally.  It seems to be one of (if not the) deepest positions in fantasy, so if he's still 1B eligible to give that CI flexibility, and most importantly OF eligible, then I'm a happy camper.  

Eh, you and I debated that topic a while back, and I still think that, in pure 5x5 roto terms (as opposed to "which position has the best hitters, setting stolen bases aside") 3B turns out to not be as deep as is commonly thought.  But rather than derail Gallo's thread with that discussion, I've added my thoughts here.

2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

From Gallo's latest RW blurb:

I'm curious as to where he does end up defensively. 1B is possible, but he's agile enough to play elsewhere and it seems Texas has other options at 1B. Which leaves a corner OF or 3B as the most likely options. Beltre will eventually move on, but no sure what alternatives the team will have at 3B/LF in the near future

6 hours ago, metropolitans said:

Man he really needed tonights 3-for-5, 3-rbi effort. Especially the 3 hits!

He's do for another hot streak. Maybe this is the beginning of one.

Is Joey in danger of becoming a platoon bat? After hitting .216/.304/.468 with a 10.4% walk rate and 28.8% strikeout rate, those numbers have fallen to .174/.237/.465 in May with a walk rate of 6.5% and a strikeout rate of 45.2%.

Article: “Also notable on this list is Joey Gallo, who pretty much defined Three True Outcome Era baseball with his surprisingly valuable 2017 season. He hit just .209 last year, but his .327 isolated power alongside a 14.1 percent walk rate made him one of the most tantalizing players in baseball. The question was: could Gallo, despite the bad numbers on paper, actually be good? Any sabermetrician would tell you yes, but, without the walks, Gallo becomes nothing more than a bench or platoon bat with power. He’s tied for second in baseball with 13 home runs, but his 90 wRC+ is 33 points lower than last year.”

Full article: https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2018/5/19/17249764/mlb-walk-rates-davidson-matt-harper-bryce-cain-lorenzo-encarnacion-edwin-gallo-joey-alonso-yonder

I don't think he's really a platoon guy. His splits last year were nearly identical. He just hasn't been particular good from either side this year. Yes, he's been slightly worse against lefties this year, but it's over a much smaller sample size to be not much more than noise.