KilloWertz

Jacob deGrom 2018 Outlook

His end of the season stats look pretty nice, as he set career highs in Wins, Innings, and Strikeouts.  Getting there was a bit of a rollercoaster though with a few rough patches, as I'm sure owners of him in 2017 know well enough given how disgusted some people were at times in his 2017 thread.

Still, there were times last season where he was the Jacob deGrom we've come to expect, including an amazing stretch of winning 8 straight starts.  Are people looking at him as highly as in the past, which would basically be amongst the fantasy aces (probably the tier below the gods like Kluber and Sale)?  He's pretty firmly locked in to one of my keeper team spots, and I turned down a trade for him in that league for a big bat.

Yeah, I have a similar analysis. Not in the elite tier of Kershaw, etc. but prob a top 10-12 SP. 

I’d like to have him, but he’s valued so highly, I’m not going to use a top 30 pick or $30+ on him in drafts. 

But at pick 45-50 or at $15? Oh yeah, I’d love to have him on my team for that. 

Injury history is concerning and the volatily of pitching in fantasy fantasy combined with his own volatility make me leary of spending a whole lot on him. 

He's definitely still SP1 material. I think last year he was a little banged up, and the Mets don't care... I feel like we end up with around that 200IP/200K, 3.2ERA again. Would gladly take him as my SP1.

5 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

He's definitely still SP1 material. I think last year he was a little banged up, and the Mets don't care... I feel like we end up with around that 200IP/200K, 3.2ERA again. Would gladly take him as my SP1.

11 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He's still a fantastic SP1 if you have a good group of hitters. Hopefully the Mets can score some runs for him.

I agree, especially in Roto. His end of season stats are great, but the road there was a bit bumpy. 

On 12/17/2017 at 5:03 PM, countseth said:

Yeah, I have a similar analysis. Not in the elite tier of Kershaw, etc. but prob a top 10-12 SP. 

I’d like to have him, but he’s valued so highly, I’m not going to use a top 30 pick or $30+ on him in drafts. 

But at pick 45-50 or at $15? Oh yeah, I’d love to have him on my team for that. 

Injury history is concerning and the volatily of pitching in fantasy fantasy combined with his own volatility make me leary of spending a whole lot on him. 

I don't really consider him an injury risk.  His lone injury was in 2016.

20 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

He's still a fantastic SP1 if you have a good group of hitters. Hopefully the Mets can score some runs for him.

We've had to say that ever since deGrom came into the league.  Not anything against deGrom obviously, but it is pretty sad that he set his career high for Wins last year with 15.  I know he's only pitched two full seasons so far, but still, I can't even remember how many times I've seen the Mets bullpen blow a lead for him or he loses in a low scoring game.

Still, I'll gladly keep him and have him on my team again next season.

I saw this write up from razzball, and I didn't even know about his hair.

I just Googled “DeGrom elbow” and there was 44,000 results.  “DeGrom shoulder” produced 78,000 results.  “DeGrom neck” produced 117,000 results.  “DeGrom hair” produced 300,000 results, all of which were grown men complaining about how deGrom cut off his hair in October.  “My emojis are all sad, even the eggplant,” said one Mets fan.  So, assuming deGrom is healthy, and didn’t generate all his power Samson-like from his hair, he should be solid.  Again, that assumption is high on the a** meter.  2018 Projections: 16-9/3.06/1.15/221 in 195 IP

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/new-york-mets-jacob-degrom-long-hair-gone-haircut-looks-very-different-photos

• Haha 2

What a difference two bad starts make. He gave up 15 Runs in consecutive starts against Milwaukee and Texas. His ERA in his other 29 starts? 2.98

• Like 1

He is a legitimate ace that plays for a decent team that should score him some runs. Let's just hope the defense doesn't fail him and his HR/9 comes down a bit. If it does, his ERA could be closer to 3.0 rather than 3.5.

As always, needs to stay healthy, but talent-wise he is in the top-tier.  He also likely gets at least a few starts against the Marlins!

Might not be the opening starter due to back issues, might miss the opening series according to Calloway,Mets injuries starting alreagy

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

Might not be the opening starter due to back issues, might miss the opening series according to Calloway,Mets injuries starting alreagy

VAdLenD.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Right now I think it’s based on his throwing schedule for him to miss opening day or the first series. Still hate seeing it though. Lot of injuries already for the Mets they don’t ease their fans in ever.

Jacob deGrom (back) threw a modified side session Wednesday morning in Mets camp.
He worked off the slope of the mound rather than on top of it, but the reports were good. The right-hander said he still thinks he can be ready for Opening Day and wants the assignment, though deGrom would probably have to get into a Grapefruit League game this weekend to make that a reality. Nonetheless, it appears this lower back injury was truly just a minor blip. Feb 28 - 9:47 AM
  • Like 1

I'm not concerned.  Even if he doesn't pitch Opening Day, which is still a possibility anyways, it's not like this seems like it will be an issue that matters in the long run.

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

I'm not concerned.  Even if he doesn't pitch Opening Day, which is still a possibility anyways, it's not like this seems like it will be an issue that matters in the long run.

Same. I'm sure deGrom will dominate the Cards on 3/29.

A tiny bit anxious because I like the idea of being able to fall back on this guy if I can't get one of the big 4. Seems the safest of the next tier. 

a Mets starting pitcher with a reported injury. I can't help but to think this has to be important news considering it's the Mets, and enough for some people to avoid deGrom.

Edited by SpecialFNK
considered considering

8 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

a Mets starting pitcher with a reported injury. I can't help but to think this has to be important news considering it's the Mets, and enough for some people to avoid deGrom.

I wouldn't be concerned about this one though.  He very well could be ready for Opening Day, or shortly thereafter at worst.  There has been no indication otherwise.

Someone got a haircut. Watching game and Darling said  deGrom really worked on his changeup this spring - I've seen some nasty ones. I'm a BIG fan and wishing for a wonderful season.

Edited by Z06vette

Bit of a capitulation last night and vs the Marlins?? Until that 6th he barely had to break sweat and the boom 4 runs. That's just baseball...he'll probably shut out the Nats next time he faces them to make up. Thoring 95mph and stuff looks sharp.

Straight up filthy tonight.  11 K's so far.  Literally no mistakes.  The one HR was Harper just being a freak of nature.

What a stupid decision to bring him out in the 8th already around 90 pitches, up by 5 runs.  morons.