KilloWertz

Jacob deGrom 2018 Outlook

Thoughts on how DeGrom ranks rest of season among SPs in baseball? 

I'd imagine he would be in most people's top 10 at this point...but where do you put him?

Scherzer

Sale

Kluber

Kershaw

Cole

Severino

Verlander

DeGrom

Syndergaard

Strasburgh

thoughts?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I'd imagine he would be in most people's top 10 at this point...but where do you put him?

Scherzer

Sale

Kluber

Kershaw

Cole

Severino

Verlander

DeGrom

Syndergaard

Strasburgh

thoughts?

It seems like he’s usually sits either 7 or 8th in most lists that i’ve seen in various websites. This year he’a taken it up a notch and can argue he’s maybe top five the way he is pitching this year. So far its been a two man race for nl cy young between degrom and scherzer. Ron darling predicted before the season started that degrom would win the cy young.

Edited by Picard56

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

21 more to be exact.

That Doesn't surprise me but I was talking about this year. 

I understand the bullpen will lose games but it sucks that it happens to DeGrom a lot. 

Just let degrom go the distance each game and they won’t have this problem. 

I think DeGrom is a top tier pitcher and if his bullpen could finish games for him I think he would get more love because his record would obviously be better. 

Maybe I’m off base here but he pitches like an ace and he hasn’t let up more than 1 earned run in his last 7 starts (1.29 ERA). He deserves to be  in a higher tier but I’ve seen him consistently ranked in the 11-15 range in preseason rankings IIRC. 

He's still without a loss after 11 starts this season, though because of the Mets' pen, he remains stuck on four wins. He's departed with leads a total of seven times

Edited by Under500Forever

He's been nothing short of superb. 33.9% K rate - backed by an excellent 15.6% swinging strike rate. FWIW he leads the league in WAR for pitchers. Probably doesnt mean too much but suffice to say he's very, very good. 72 innings the man has a 1.49 era 1.01 whip and a measly 4 wins to show for it?!?! 4!! For reference 44 pitchers have more wins. He'd be half way to 20 wins already if he pitched for Yankees. Effin Mets. Score some damn runs. 

• Like 4

On 5/28/2018 at 9:20 PM, EmbargoLifted said:

Scherzer

Sale

Kluber

Kershaw

Cole

Severino

Verlander

DeGrom

Syndergaard

Strasburgh

thoughts?

deGrom is top 5 for sure ROS.

I’d add Aaron Nola to that list in place of Kershaw though.

• Like 1

Hell of an effort again and he gets a loss for his troubles. I hope everyone in that clubhouse save for a select few is ashamed of that performance because I am.

55 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Hell of an effort again and he gets a loss for his troubles. I hope everyone in that clubhouse save for a select few is ashamed of that performance because I am.

Jay Bruce especially.  He is responsible for all of the runs.  Couldnt throw Tanaka out at home and couldnt get his fat a$$ back to catch the ball that bounced over for a hr.

• Like 3

My league doesn't even use wins or QS, but God I hope the guy gets traded to a contender soon. The Mets don't deserve to be wasting his talent like this.

What a waste

DeGrom was removed after 86 pitches over seven innings in which he allowed one earned run on seven hits with seven strikeouts. The Mets ace, whose ERA dropped from 1.57 to 1.55, has allowed one run or fewer in nine of his last 10 starts. But the Mets are 2-8 in those games

I wonder what the record for fewest wins for a pitcher who won the era title is. That has to be seriously in play for deGrom

2 hours ago, Philoumenos said:

My league doesn't even use wins or QS, but God I hope the guy gets traded to a contender soon. The Mets don't deserve to be wasting his talent like this.

Is this really possible? Would love to Target this guy in a keeper and steal him from a frustrated owner and have him on a new team next year 

1 hour ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

I wonder what the record for fewest wins for a pitcher who won the era title is. That has to be seriously in play for deGrom

Felix went 13-12 with a 2.27 era in 2010 lol.....

• Like 1

Exhibit A why QS is superior to Wins in fantasy

• Like 3

This is criminal. I'm a Mets fans but I hope they trade our best player just because he deserves better

3 hours ago, phisouza33 said:

Is this really possible? Would love to Target this guy in a keeper and steal him from a frustrated owner and have him on a new team next year 

If they continue being this bad through the ASB, I could see them sell some of the slightly older parts off and reloading with the returns. Not that DeGrom is exactly "old," but he's 29 to Thor's 25, and maybe they'd rather reload/rebuild around him. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Posted (edited)

Who cares

And if deGrom's salty about not "getting wins" then he's showing up his teammates.

He has zero to do with the offense.

It be another story if his defense was constantly making errors and not getting to balls. Now that affects him

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

57 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Who cares

And if deGrom's salty about not "getting wins" then he's showing up his teammates.

He has zero to do with the offense.

It be another story if his defense was constantly making errors and not getting to balls. Now that affects him

Every player on that team should be salty about how piss-poor the offense is. It's an embarrassing abomination. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, slaphitter said:

This is criminal. I'm a Mets fans but I hope they trade our best player just because he deserves better

He needs to learn how to win. Some guys have it and some guy don't. just look at a guy like Rick Porcello. Now that guy is a winner. 

Image result for donkey smile gif

Edited by Cdub2k
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, collucho said:

You guys are all blaming the offense when quite a few of deGrom's wins have been blown by the bullpen. 

How else could they get lost? If he's in line for the win, and then isn't, obviously the bullpen gave up runs. The point is his offense should give him leads and a bigger cushion. 

1 hour ago, Bigfische said:

How else could they get lost? If he's in line for the win, and then isn't, obviously the bullpen gave up runs. The point is his offense should give him leads and a bigger cushion. 

If the offense gives them a lead heading into the 8th inning I would say they've done their job and its the bullpen's turn to do theirs. Sure they can score more runs but the bullpen should be able to pitch two innings without giving up a lead. Unfortunately for deGrom and the Mets, they haven't been able to.