KilloWertz

Jacob deGrom 2018 Outlook

Don't really get why a lot of people in the Media sees Scherzer as the front runner for the NL Cy Young. Wins are not really indicative how well a season a pitcher is having and DeGrom has a sub 2 ERA at the moment. DeGrom is doing his job, it's just his team is really crapping the bed every time he goes out on the mound and provides no run support.

13 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Don't really get why a lot of people in the Media sees Scherzer as the front runner for the NL Cy Young. Wins are not really indicative how well a season a pitcher is having and DeGrom has a sub 2 ERA at the moment. DeGrom is doing his job, it's just his team is really crapping the bed every time he goes out on the mound and provides no run support.

Scherzer has a higher K/9 and a lower WHIP. Arrieta/Greinke in 2015 showed that they'll use wins as a tiebreaker if both have the same numbers. Scherzer would really have to hit the fan to lose it IMO.

10 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Maybe they are using the same argument as MVP argument. He is playing/pitching with no pressure of a pennant race so its "not as impressive". Not making that argument, but it's one I've heard.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:21 AM, cdd10 said:

Yeah, it sucks he always loses points because we get negative points for losses. great player though. 

Here I thought awarding points for Wins was the most illogical thing in all of fantasy sports 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Maybe they are using the same argument as MVP argument. He is playing/pitching with no pressure of a pennant race so its "not as impressive". Not making that argument, but it's one I've heard.

The Nationals are third in their division and might not even make the playoffs.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 2:50 PM, Picard56 said:

2 Wins in a row...deGrom is making his CY push!

This guy would easily be the #1 ranked fantasy pitcher if he got half the wins his bullpen blew for him.

Edit: I take that back. But he could easily be top 3 haha

Edited by collucho

On 8/8/2018 at 5:50 PM, Picard56 said:

deGrom only leads in ERA.  Scherzer has the advantage in every other category. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

deGrom only leads in ERA.  Scherzer has the advantage in every other category. 

Yeah, if you look at my previous post, I thought deGrom might have the advantage but just looking at what Scherzer is doing made me realize you could add 8 wins to deGrom's total and he'd still be behind Scherzer. Also, Chris Sale has better stats apart from ERA and he is pitching in the AL. Obviously they're competing for separate awards but from a best pitcher fantasy standpoint he is behind both of them.

10 minutes ago, collucho said:

Yeah, if you look at my previous post, I thought deGrom might have the advantage but just looking at what Scherzer is doing made me realize you could add 8 wins to deGrom's total and he'd still be behind Scherzer. Also, Chris Sale has better stats apart from ERA and he is pitching in the AL. Obviously they're competing for separate awards but from a best pitcher fantasy standpoint he is behind both of them.

I think we can all agree that he's grinding this year and pitching his heart out. 

Just now, Damn Yankee said:

I think we can all agree that he's grinding this year and pitching his heart out. 

Yeah, he must know he's on my fantasy team.

7 hours ago, Halo Fan said:

2 Wins in a row...deGrom is making his CY push!

MLB might want to test the Mets.  They have to be juiced if they were able to get deGrom two wins in a row...

14 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

I think it goes to show you how tough wins are to get when you pitch for the Mets.

There you go, especially since he's struggled with wins his whole career because he's pitched for the Mets. :)

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

MLB might want to test the Mets.  They have to be juiced if they were able to get deGrom two wins in a row...

There you go, especially since he's struggled with wins his whole career because he's pitched for the Mets. :)

Or any team in MLB.    deGrom may not even finish 2nd.  Nola might.  

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Syndergaard has no problem getting them.  

7 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

Syndergaard has no problem getting them.  

He's just had better luck.  It's not like deGrom hasn't been an elite pitcher in his own right too.

14 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

He's just had better luck.  It's not like deGrom hasn't been an elite pitcher in his own right too.

Exactly. It's strictly luck. deGrom is better than Thor. 

It’s not just strictly luck.  Sometimes it is, yet sometimes pitchers know how to stay in long enough to get wins.  It’s a combination of luck and skill.  Like every other part of baseball.  Just like hitting.  .   

2 minutes ago, Ratso1022 said:

It’s not just strictly luck.  Sometimes it is, yet sometimes pitchers know how to stay in long enough to get wins.  It’s a combination of luck and skill.  Like every other part of baseball.  Just like hitting.  .   

deGrom has gone deeper into games than Thor. He's also made 8 additional starts. Strictly bad luck for deGrom.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

deGrom has gone deeper into games than Thor. He's also made 8 additional starts. Strictly bad luck for deGrom.

This year deGrom has been unlucky.   It’s not a general rule though.  

1 minute ago, Ratso1022 said:

If you notice it’s usually the best pitchers that get the most wins.  

Not always. The facts and numbers don't lie, deGrom has been extremely unlucky. He is a better pitcher than Syndergaard, and the numbers support that as well. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Not always. The facts and numbers don't lie, deGrom has been extremely unlucky. He is a better pitcher than Syndergaard, and the numbers support that as well. 

It’s an epically unlucky year for deGrom.  No doubt.  I didn’t mean to suggest otherwise.