KilloWertz

Jacob deGrom 2018 Outlook

It’s probably  Scherzer, Nola, deGrom.  ATM     Because wins do matter.  

Edited by Ratso1022

2 hours ago, Ratso1022 said:

It’s probably  Scherzer, Nola, deGrom.  ATM     Because wins do matter.  

I mean they actually don’t at all but I get your point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scherzer and Nola are deserving candidates and if they were to get the award over deGrom it wouldn’t be that big of a deal but I’d hope a shiny looking win loss record wouldn’t be a deciding factor. Robert Gsellman has 6 wins as a reliever for the Mets.

8 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Scherzer and Nola are deserving candidates and if they were to get the award over deGrom it wouldn’t be that big of a deal but I’d hope a shiny looking win loss record wouldn’t be a deciding factor. Robert Gsellman has 6 wins as a reliever for the Mets.

I actually get your point too.  I just don’t want to totally discount wins.  What deGrom is going through is absolutely sinful.  

• Like 1

Wins are just the tip of the iceberg of stupidity.

ERA is kind of flawed too.

Put it this way: Who is better? A pitcher with a 2.00 ERA with the best defense in the league playing behind him? Or a pitcher with a 2.20 ERA who plays in a band box and has a bad defense?

26 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Wins are just the tip of the iceberg of stupidity.

ERA is kind of flawed too.

Put it this way: Who is better? A pitcher with a 2.00 ERA with the best defense in the league playing behind him? Or a pitcher with a 2.20 ERA who plays in a band box and has a bad defense?

A pitcher doesn't have much control as to whether his team scores runs or not, but with ERA is more valuable in terms of how much the pitcher is giving up to other teams. You can dig deeper and use stats like FIP and xFip to really see how effective a starter is. The idea that team defense will make all pitchers better is a flawed argument. Tyler Chatwood leaves Coors field and then proceeds to walk everyone in the park and does not do that well with one of the best infield defenses in the league with the Cubs.

On 8/17/2018 at 4:31 PM, Ratso1022 said:

It’s not just strictly luck.  Sometimes it is, yet sometimes pitchers know how to stay in long enough to get wins.  It’s a combination of luck and skill.  Like every other part of baseball.  Just like hitting.  .   

DeGrom goes 9 and makes it 3 in a row!

• Like 1

I haven't paid any attention to DeGrom this season until 5 minutes ago and...

OH MY GOD IMAGINE HAVING 200KS AND A 1.71 ERA AND .96 WHIP AND BEING 8-7 :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Okay I'm done, sorry about that.  Carry on.  Again, I'm sorry.

deGrom has been pitching the whole season with zero room for error with the lack of run support. 

Last night in the eighth inning with two on and no outs,  deGrom began to tire but struck out Baez and then got the inning ending double play. 

Thing of beauty in a 1-1 game which was suspended in the 10th inning due to rain.

He currently stands at:  

Year Age Tm Lg W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W Awards
2018 30 NYM NL 8 8 .500 1.68 27 27 0 1 0 0 182.0 137 41 34 8 41 3 224 5 0 1 712 219 2.02 0.978 6.8 0.4 2.0 11.1 5.46 AS

It got me thinking about some of the greatest single seasons by a starting pitcher.  But I will start another thread for that.

Rusty Jay Bruce missed a hard hit ball right under his glove that he really should have caught. The crowd at Wrigley was sleeping until the 8th inning last night. If Bruce would have gotten that ball it would have likely silenced the crowd and possibly kept that run from ever scoring. Another great outing by deGrom - kept pitch count low while allowing BB's and putting up lots of K's. Very impressive.

1 hour ago, lehighterp said:

Any chance his start gets pushed to Monday so we have a 2 start week next week? I could use the extra start in my playoff semifinal! :lol:

I see no reason why it would.  They are trying to get him as many starts as possible.  Their only mission is getting deGrom a CY Young award.   I think he’s pitching every 5th day, going forward.  Off days included. 

Edited by Ratso1022

5 hours ago, Ratso1022 said:

I see no reason why it would.  They are trying to get him as many starts as possible.  Their only mission is getting deGrom a CY Young award.   I think he’s pitching every 5th day, going forward.  Off days included. 

You're prob right. Just wishful thinking on my part! :lol:

If wins are overrated and shouldn't be factored into the voting, you can't very well turn around and say "Because DeGrom hasn't gotten any wins, it's another stake in his  Cy Young candidacy".

I’ve always thought they should count for something.  Losses too.   Better to be 12-8 than 10-10.    Just like K’s and WHIP.  It’s just one of the stats.    ERA is most important 

Edited by Ratso1022

4 hours ago, Ratso1022 said:

I’ve always thought they should count for something.  Losses too.   Better to be 12-8 than 10-10.    Just like K’s and WHIP.  It’s just one of the stats.    ERA is most important 

The Mets just do not score runs when Jacob pitches and he has a sub 2.00 ERA.  Lack of wins is simply not his fault this season.   

He has given up less than 3 runs in every start this season so far except for one game which he gave up 4,  and the Mets won that game.

I would like to think that the writers have a better understanding these days regarding wins,  and won't hold it against deGrom who has been brilliant.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

The Mets just do not score runs when Jacob pitches and he has a sub 2.00 ERA.  Lack of wins is simply not his fault this season.   

He has given up less than 3 runs in every start this season so far except for one game which he gave up 4,  and the Mets won that game.

I would like to think that the writers have a better understanding these days regarding wins,  and won't hold it against deGrom who has been brilliant.

Is It just my imagination or has DeGrom provided the Mets only runs (while he’s in the game) like 4-5 times this year? Especially  in the last month or two  I’ve seen the Mets score 1 run and it’s because of a DeGrom RBI single. Last night they gave Wheeler 7 runs but DeGrom will get 1-2. 

If he had more run support and wins he would be the favorite for the Cy Young 

15 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

of course, I'm just saying maybe the Gods will smile on him and he can go 4-0 down the stretch?  The more he pitches the better chance he has at more wins

Edited by Ratso1022