KilloWertz

Jacob deGrom 2018 Outlook

Should be out at least a month.  Depending on if there is damage to any tendons/ligaments, could be longer.  Best case scenario is mid-June.  Mets magic is back!!!

How long is he out you ask?

https://www.betterbraces.com/injury-info-center/elbow-injury-guide/elbow-hyperextension

Luckily, hyperextended elbows typically heal after a few weeks to a month. In some cases, your doctor may recommend physical therapy to continue rehabilitation of the elbow. In very rare cases, surgery may be necessary to repair damaged ligaments that cannot heal on their own.

• Thanks 2

Of course....he did it while batting.  YAY National League!

Anaheim Angels take note....

• Like 1

I mean he grimaced after the swing but he was able to go back out and pitch the 4th seemingly pain free. I guess all owners of him will just hold our collective breaths that there’s no ligament damage and 2-3 weeks rest and he’ll be back out there. So frustrating 

Who do you think they put back in the rotation?  Harvey or Gsellman?

somehow he was able to pitch another inning with the injury. also no decrease in velocity.

just hoping it is a minor one, and Jacob being 'angry' was just him being mad at the fact he can't get the shutout (only 40-something pitches after 4 innings)

everyone can hope, right? getting traumatized with all these injuries being a Mets fan.

well, at least it wasn't an oblique injury...

Feel bad for the Mets. This reminds me of the Izzy/Pulsipher days. 

Bottom line, can't really build around a rotation in fantasy or real life MLB anymore. They all get hurt. They all get blown up. 

• Like 1

fwiw (not a whole lot I know) but maybe there is some room for optimism hopefully 

From a Mets beat writer

7 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Who do you think they put back in the rotation?  Harvey or Gsellman?

Doubt Gsellman. Harvey, Lugo, or Oswalt.

Man this sucks! Was rolling against the best offense in the NL, too. 4-6 weeks without deGrom is going to hurt a lot.

Anything with a throwing elbow, I'm going to be very nervous until the UCL is completely, 100% ruled out. Especially for a guy who's had TJ already.

14 minutes ago, jhsong916 said:

somehow he was able to pitch another inning with the injury. also no decrease in velocity.

just hoping it is a minor one, and Jacob being 'angry' was just him being mad at the fact he can't get the shutout (only 40-something pitches after 4 innings)

everyone can hope, right? getting traumatized with all these injuries being a Mets fan.

well, at least it wasn't an oblique injury...

If this is true and the Mets coaches and/or training staff let him try to pitch through a hyperextended pitching elbow they truly are the most dysfunctional organization in all of sports when it comes to managing their players’ injuries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

If this is true and the Mets coaches and/or training staff let him try to pitch through a hyperextended pitching elbow they truly are the most dysfunctional organization in all of sports when it comes to managing their players’ injuries.

well, multiple sources did indicate that he had some sort of discomfort after the AB at the 3rd inning. still, not 100% sure

1 minute ago, jhsong916 said:

source? as soon as I saw the word 'dislocated', I panicked and searched all over the place but there was no such report except the tweet from 'Record Sports'.

So not dislocated, probably, but mri likely 

Please whatever happens let him get treated elsewhere and not by the Mets "Medical" Staff.

Also NL, grow up and use the DH.  Stop living in the 1950's.

• Like 3

These are the injuries that kill your seasons (fantasy and the Mets). You just hope to go a season avoiding them.

So much luck involved in winning a league. Lets just pray it's not too bad and he's back in a month.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.  If any of the locals in NY get word of the MRI and someone hears the news, please post.  Much appreciated.

Any chance he just misses a start or two? MRI will be crucial obviously but I’m hoping just by swinging a bat it was really minor?

1 minute ago, molski said:

Any chance he just misses a start or two? MRI will be crucial obviously but I’m hoping just by swinging a bat it was really minor?

I think 'best case' scenario, he's going to miss 4-6 weeks.  No doctor here, but I think he is likely going to need rest and they won't want him throwing at all until the docs say it is healed.  So even if it is better in three weeks or so, they likely will want him to build up the arm strength and make a rehab start.

7 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Surprised nothing released yet. 

I should have called out of work today since 

I keep checking for updates. 

He was rolling last night! He threw 46 pitches after 4 innings. may have gone 9 innings if he didn’t have to waste his time batting. 

Edited by Under500Forever
  • Haha 1