L3onD

Mario Hezonja 2017-18 Season Outlook

Hezonja is what we were expecting AG to become lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I own AG and he's sitting on my IL while Hezonja is killing it..

For those worried as I stressed here last week he's too talented and honestly if the Magic want ANY chance to retain him they better let him go the rest of the way even when AG returns - that way they can have some leverage in promising him a big role if he re-signs with them - and sell him on the fact that he won't be given that opportunity anywhere else.. use 

That makes a lot more sense than getting him back to 18-20 mpg while Simmons (who's now a 30 year old capped overrated wing player) gets the bulk of PT. I believe Simmons / Fournier will be the losers here, while Hezonja / AG should flourish even upon AG's return. I'll be keeping him because I'm a believer they just found their gem by chance. 

Now.. one thing that stands to be said outside of the way he battles is how deep this guy's range is, for pretty much the entire season now any time he's given ample playing time this guy is pulling up from anywhere on the court.. 

• Like 1

funny how things change when you are given a long lease. There are many coaches who despite coaching rebuilding teams, refuse to give young players full time to develop. If players play scared that they will be pulled out of the game with a mistake or a bad shot, they lose confidence and they play tight. But when given free reign, they blossom and grow. Doesn't need a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Perfect example, Klay thompson. He was a late lottery pick, but Mark Jackson gave him green light in his rookie year. Had Klay played for a stupid coach like say a Scott Skiles, I bet you things would have been a lot different too

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sya said:

funny how things change when you are given a long lease. There are many coaches who despite coaching rebuilding teams, refuse to give young players full time to develop. If players play scared that they will be pulled out of the game with a mistake or a bad shot, they lose confidence and they play tight. But when given free reign, they blossom and grow. Doesn't need a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Perfect example, Klay thompson. He was a late lottery pick, but Mark Jackson gave him green light in his rookie year. Had Klay played for a stupid coach like say a Scott Skiles, I bet you things would have been a lot different too

For sure, there's a lot of guys in the NBA who I feel could show what they're made of if they were given the same leeway as say Carmelo to just sit there and chuck freely. Coaches have a double standard, they allow top picks with a strong reputation out of college to get away with it because it's top down management - they're forced to do that, but there's a lot of players who aren't afforded that same freedom (like Hezonja). There's a lot of guys who rotted away for years, Gerald Wallace sat on the Kings' bench for a few seasons before they finally gave him an opportunity  near the end of his tenure there - and at that point it was too late (he did great on the Bobcats and people saw how talented he was). 

Jeremy Lamb would be another example of what you're talking about. The guy can flat out play. I actually think there's guys overseas who also deserve that (Perry Jones and Terrence Jones are two guys who come to mind as ones who I feel deserve to showcase how talented they are).

Coaches like Skiles force players to look over their shoulder, it's a lot easier when you don't have to do that and can just play basketball instead of worrying whether your career is on the line with every make or miss - that is some serious duress for any one to go through.

Luckily Orlando is in a position now where they have no other choice, and that's good news for all parties involved (esp. fantasy owners). Like I said a page ago, I think he's one of the best stashes out there, and there is no reason for him to be on any waiver wire in any league.. I just don't see him dropping off even when AG comes back, the team sucks, Orlando needs a future to build around.

Edited by Lifschitz

46 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

I own AG and he's sitting on my IL while Hezonja is killing it..

For those worried as I stressed here last week he's too talented and honestly if the Magic want ANY chance to retain him they better let him go the rest of the way even when AG returns - that way they can have some leverage in promising him a big role if he re-signs with them - and sell him on the fact that he won't be given that opportunity anywhere else.. use 

That makes a lot more sense than getting him back to 18-20 mpg while Simmons (who's now a 30 year old capped overrated wing player) gets the bulk of PT. I believe Simmons / Fournier will be the losers here, while Hezonja / AG should flourish even upon AG's return. I'll be keeping him because I'm a believer they just found their gem by chance. 

Now.. one thing that stands to be said outside of the way he battles is how deep this guy's range is, for pretty much the entire season now any time he's given ample playing time this guy is pulling up from anywhere on the court.. 

It's the Magic man. They don't know talent when they see it. Remember also, they are without Vooch, this dude is killing it though.

• Like 1

BTW, Orlando traded Dipo and pick (turned out to be Sabonis) for Serge Freaking Ibaka on an expiring contract! They pulled the plug midway and traded ibaka for wait for it- Terrence Ross! So in other words, they traded Dipo and Sabonis for Terrence Ross. Brilliant right?

And on the other hand what happened to Dipo and Sabonis? These 2 players were traded a year later for a superstar in PG13. I have no idea why Orlando made that trade of DIpo and pick for a much older Ibaka who is on last year of his contract. That is probably one of the all time worst moves by a GM that I can remember. Even if They didn't believe in Dipo (and they should have because he was their best player and not even close), why add a lottery pick just to land Ibaka who is a rental player???

21 minutes ago, sya said:

BTW, Orlando traded Dipo and pick (turned out to be Sabonis) for Serge Freaking Ibaka on an expiring contract! They pulled the plug midway and traded ibaka for wait for it- Terrence Ross! So in other words, they traded Dipo and Sabonis for Terrence Ross. Brilliant right?

And on the other hand what happened to Dipo and Sabonis? These 2 players were traded a year later for a superstar in PG13. I have no idea why Orlando made that trade of DIpo and pick for a much older Ibaka who is on last year of his contract. That is probably one of the all time worst moves by a GM that I can remember. Even if They didn't believe in Dipo (and they should have because he was their best player and not even close), why add a lottery pick just to land Ibaka who is a rental player???

They have Jeff Weltman now though, he worked with Masai on turning the Raptors around. So there is more hope for this franchise moving forward. He's the guy who originally was partially if not fully responsible for drafting Giannis to the Bucks to my understanding..

Well isn’t this just another Beasley story (before Porzingis got hurt for real). Ballin’ while he was out and when Zingis Got back - irrelevant again 

1 hour ago, Brandayz said:

Well isn’t this just another Beasley story (before Porzingis got hurt for real). Ballin’ while he was out and when Zingis Got back - irrelevant again 

It's not.. Beasley is a career journeyman who can put up points in a hurry but everyone knows who he is at this point. Hezonja is 22, Beasley is 29.. The Magic have veterans who aren't going to get any better (Fournier, Simmons), and they badly need a youth core/movement to build around, they already got rid of Payton - so that pretty much leaves Hezonja and Gordon. 

Beasley had no chance to replicate value because there are players ahead of him on the depth chart  in other spots outside of PF.. Hezonja isn't directly competing with Gordon, he's actually competing with Simmons / Fournier for the most part, they're playing small ball lineups because Biyombo and Speights are the only Centers and they have no other PF currently..

Hezonja has a chance for minutes across the board at various positions, Beasley didn't.

22 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

It's not.. Beasley is a career journeyman who can put up points in a hurry but everyone knows who he is at this point. Hezonja is 22, Beasley is 29.. The Magic have veterans who aren't going to get any better (Fournier, Simmons), and they badly need a youth core/movement to build around, they already got rid of Payton - so that pretty much leaves Hezonja and Gordon. 

Beasley had no chance to replicate value because there are players ahead of him on the depth chart  in other spots outside of PF.. Hezonja isn't directly competing with Gordon, he's actually competing with Simmons / Fournier for the most part, they're playing small ball lineups because Biyombo and Speights are the only Centers and they have no other PF currently..

Hezonja has a chance for minutes across the board at various positions, Beasley didn't.

So you actually think he is worth an add even with gordon back?

3 minutes ago, Brandayz said:

So you actually think he is worth an add even with gordon back?

If you haven't gotten any games out of him so far you probably lost a lot of his value. I personally disagree with Lifschitz on this and don't forget Ross and Isaac are not out for the season, at least there is no such report. If we are talking standard leagues I believe he won't have any value from mid March and then. He might even not have any value after the ASB as well if Isaac is ready to return. 

1 hour ago, Lifschitz said:

Look we all want to think he is going to play with a healthy Gordon back but do you really think the Magic are going to give him solid burn when they turned down his rookie option?? They are going to essentially be bumping his value up the more they play Mario and he produces in the 2nd half. I think at most he will be back to his 15-22 min range and with very little usage once Vooch and Gordon are back. Thats the thing too, even if say he get solid burn off the bench with everyone healthy the usage just won't be there.

1 hour ago, RipCity0 said:

If you haven't gotten any games out of him so far you probably lost a lot of his value. I personally disagree with Lifschitz on this and don't forget Ross and Isaac are not out for the season, at least there is no such report. If we are talking standard leagues I believe he won't have any value from mid March and then. He might even not have any value after the ASB as well if Isaac is ready to return. 

This is correct.  Hopefully he has been carrying you the last two weeks because post ASB he's waiver fodder again.  I dropped him during the trade deadline to grab someone with ROS potential.

I understand completely why you guys have reason to be skeptical - he hasn't had a history of doing this + you believe the Magic have no reason to be investing in him. Contrary to that, I believe they do because their current core has a piss poor outlook. They've held onto the Vucevic + Fournier core now for a long time and tried to add Biyombo (a ridiculously overpaid contract for a poor man's Ben Wallace), and it's been absolute sh!t. 

As I said above, they need young budding players, Isaac wasn't the reason their season tanked unless you guys think he had a Donovan Mitchell or Ben Simmons level impact on their team (which is how Vogel makes it sound because it's a cop out since he can't get their team to win without him - the best coaches in the league win without their star players, let alone rookies) - their core is inherently flawed because two of their "top" players can't play defense. 

A Hezonja / Isaac / Gordon future sounds pretty promising.. and I'm sure as hell he's giving them a lot to think about right now with the way he's playing.

On the other hand, the Magic FO is incompetent as they come - but as stated Jeff Weltman is a hell of a lot better than what they had previously - he helped rebuild Toronto next to Masai. 

Criticizing the Magic for declining his player option is a hindsight move, no one expected him to be this good. 

Lastly, I think he's a stash / hold as far as I'm concerned, you wait out on these types of stats to see how it plays out post ASB. Their team is also so bad that there's a strong chance their vets get shut down, in which case you want to continue having him on your roster if/when that happens. You take a chance on talent and let the situation play out, you don't drop players on the CHANCE that you think their situation won't work out because it didn't previously (things change very quickly in the NBA in terms of rotations and what coaches decide to do or what the situation is with a given team and front office).

I feel bad for anyone who pre-emptively dropped him (^ the guy above for example) without waiting for AG to return first and see how it shakes out, that's not a good fantasy move when a guy is doing what he's currently doing. I've learned from past mistakes of dropping promising talent because I thought when the team is at full health they would go back to obscurity - and it didn't happen, the talent won out. Each case is unique in that sense (some times the talent wins out, some times the team at full health puts them back in the void).

He's been ranked top 25 the last 2 weeks.. good luck finding someone with that upside on your wire right now (and no that's not to say he'll be ranked that upon AG's return, but take a wait-and-see approach, the Magic are going nowhere).

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Picked him up today! It really was a toss up between him and Sato! Like those little stocks, should get more assists, but awesome performer until AG or Vuc returns!

Picked him up yesterday morning to stream last night, now I cannot let go he was supposed to be just a streamer ahhh man

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lifschitz said:

I understand completely why you guys have reason to be skeptical - he hasn't had a history of doing this + you believe the Magic have no reason to be investing in him. Contrary to that, I believe they do because their current core has a piss poor outlook. They've held onto the Vucevic + Fournier core now for a long time and tried to add Biyombo (a ridiculously overpaid contract for a poor man's Ben Wallace), and it's been absolute sh!t. 

As I said above, they need young budding players, Isaac wasn't the reason their season tanked unless you guys think he had a Donovan Mitchell or Ben Simmons level impact on their team (which is how Vogel makes it sound because it's a cop out since he can't get their team to win without him - the best coaches in the league win without their star players, let alone rookies) - their core is inherently flawed because two of their "top" players can't play defense. 

A Hezonja / Isaac / Gordon future sounds pretty promising.. and I'm sure as hell he's giving them a lot to think about right now with the way he's playing.

On the other hand, the Magic FO is incompetent as they come - but as stated Jeff Weltman is a hell of a lot better than what they had previously - he helped rebuild Toronto next to Masai. 

Criticizing the Magic for declining his player option is a hindsight move, no one expected him to be this good. 

Lastly, I think he's a stash / hold as far as I'm concerned, you wait out on these types of stats to see how it plays out post ASB. Their team is also so bad that there's a strong chance their vets get shut down, in which case you want to continue having him on your roster if/when that happens. You take a chance on talent and let the situation play out, you don't drop players on the CHANCE that you think their situation won't work out because it didn't previously (things change very quickly in the NBA in terms of rotations and what coaches decide to do or what the situation is with a given team and front office).

I feel bad for anyone who pre-emptively dropped him (^ the guy above for example) without waiting for AG to return first and see how it shakes out, that's not a good fantasy move when a guy is doing what he's currently doing. I've learned from past mistakes of dropping promising talent because I thought when the team is at full health they would go back to obscurity - and it didn't happen, the talent won out. Each case is unique in that sense (some times the talent wins out, some times the team at full health puts them back in the void).

He's been ranked top 25 the last 2 weeks.. good luck finding someone with that upside on your wire right now (and no that's not to say he'll be ranked that upon AG's return, but take a wait-and-see approach, the Magic are going nowhere).

Nobody knew he was gonna be this good? he was a lottery pick that the magic never gave over 18 mins per game over his first 2 seasons

not exactly shocking a top 5 pick is doing this good when finally given minutes so criticizing the magic over not picking up his option is 10000% deserved

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Silverdome_Loyal said:

Honestly I think AG and Vooch gets shut down early especially if they consider there the future....Mario balls out ROS 💰 It

That would be something! I think he will play for bucks next year season, based on the rumors last year that bucks wanted the guy!

Edited by Mambamode

12 minutes ago, Silverdome_Loyal said:

Honestly I think AG and Vooch gets shut down early especially if they consider there the future....Mario balls out ROS 💰 It

And then Atlanta gets him for something like 20M/3 years and the Magic yet again FAIL!

Edited by RipCity0