L3onD

Mario Hezonja 2017-18 Season Outlook

I dropped Dedmon before his last explosion to clear space for Markannen, but having picked this guy up 2 days prior makes me feel so good about that choice. As aforementioned, when a guy goes on a two week run at top 30, you hold and wait to see how his situation plays out before dropping. I've panicked one too many a time by making pre-emptive moves that bite me in the a**. If you're 1-4 in a 12 teamer and headed towards playoffs, why not hold for post ASB? You don't have much to lose, and if reports about Vogel being encouraged by his play are true then he'll carve out minutes and a role with absolute certainty even with AG and Vooch back

47 minutes ago, taenggg said:

He trash 

nah

• Like 1

This dude is clearly better than Simmons and Magic needs to improve their lottery position..

anyone see this guy still holding value even when gordon comes back? (leap frog Simmons and average high 20s)

12 minutes ago, skyjogger13 said:

This dude is clearly better than Simmons and Magic needs to improve their lottery position..

anyone see this guy still holding value even when gordon comes back? (leap frog Simmons and average high 20s)

It’s already been discussed at nauseum, just scroll up.  

Picked up Simmons after his 34pts game...might swap him for Hezonja now. Just too talented to leave on the wire. 

Edited by Dirtdiver

i think the train stops after weds as AG and vooch will come back and he'll be back on the bench playing 15-20 mins max pending any injuries. he got talent though.

5 minutes ago, brosephd said:

i think the train stops after weds as AG and vooch will come back and he'll be back on the bench playing 15-20 mins max pending any injuries. he got talent though.

Don't forget Isaac as well.

1 hour ago, Bugs bunny said:

Don't forget Isaac as well.

Issac won’t get any run on that squad - he’s almost as fragile as Gordon - my bet AG gets hurt again 1st game back 

14 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

I own AG and he's sitting on my IL while Hezonja is killing it..

For those worried as I stressed here last week he's too talented and honestly if the Magic want ANY chance to retain him they better let him go the rest of the way even when AG returns - that way they can have some leverage in promising him a big role if he re-signs with them - and sell him on the fact that he won't be given that opportunity anywhere else.. use 

That makes a lot more sense than getting him back to 18-20 mpg while Simmons (who's now a 30 year old capped overrated wing player) gets the bulk of PT. I believe Simmons / Fournier will be the losers here, while Hezonja / AG should flourish even upon AG's return. I'll be keeping him because I'm a believer they just found their gem by chance. 

Now.. one thing that stands to be said outside of the way he battles is how deep this guy's range is, for pretty much the entire season now any time he's given ample playing time this guy is pulling up from anywhere on the court.. 

Just watched this video. Wow. I'm sold. 

Was so high on this guy coming into the the 2015 draft. He really looks like the guy he looked like he could become. Brimming with confidence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silverdome_Loyal said:

Issac won’t get any run on that squad - he’s almost as fragile as Gordon - my bet AG gets hurt again 1st game back 

Oh he'll get run.  He's the 6th overall pick.  Magic are playing for peanuts hard to imagine them not seeing what they have in him.  Fragile or not is irrelevant.

21 minutes ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

Just watched this video. Wow. I'm sold. 

He's legit. It makes you wonder why the Magic, a team in need of talent, would just let Hezonja walk after this year. If they really didn't like him, did it ever occur to them to start Hezonja earlier in the season to showcase him for a trade? 

There's a reason certain teams are bad every single year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Oh he'll get run.  He's the 6th overall pick.  Magic are playing for peanuts hard to imagine them not seeing what they have in him.  Fragile or not is irrelevant.

They opted NOT to exercise his 4th year option for a measly 5 mill a  year for next year. He's an unrestricted FA after the season. They've already concluded that they don't like him and the more he plays and does well the dumber they look. If anything, they have reason to bench him so they don't look really dumb for letting him walk for nothing. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

They opted NOT to exercise his 4th year option for a measly 5 mill a  year for next year. He's an unrestricted FA after the season. They've already concluded that they don't like him and the more he plays and does well the dumber they look. If anything, they have reason to bench him so they don't look really dumb for letting him walk for nothing. 

this, along with orlando's weak playoff schedule, is the reason im shopping him. but no one wants him. 

• Thanks 1

Ah Thankyou guys for I was not aware of this. 

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

M

He was talking about Isaac, not Hezonja.

51 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Ah Thankyou guys for I was not aware of this. 

You good. Not sure why tf they kept talking about Hezonja when you were clearly talking about Isaac.

• Thanks 1

The most the magic can pay him is his rookie salary because they declined picking up his rookie option. 

There's no way he's staying in Orlando for that amount. 

1 hour ago, DavidbivaD said:

The most the magic can pay him is his rookie salary because they declined picking up his rookie option. 

There's no way he's staying in Orlando for that amount. 

To follow up, he shows potential, he's super young.

He's an unrestricted FA in the summer, and Magic can only pay him his rookie salary if he chooses to stay.

Not gonna happen unfortunately =(

1 hour ago, DavidbivaD said:

To follow up, he shows potential, he's super young.

He's an unrestricted FA in the summer, and Magic can only pay him his rookie salary if he chooses to stay.

Not gonna happen unfortunately =(

I'm confused.. admittedly I don't know much about how contracts work, but if he goes to UFA doesn't that just mean they can bid whatever on him just like any other team? By declining his rookie option it just means they won't get him on the cheap for another season while getting a productive player.. Why would it mean they can only pay him rookie salary? That doesn't make sense.. as far as I know the rookie scale is up to 3 years from the time they're drafted.. The criticism just meant that they were dumb for not doing it because it's an anti money-ball move, not because they can't re-sign him this summer to a big contract.

Otherwise any team who declines a rookie option would be automatically forfeiting a player they developed since according to what you stated it would mean they can no longer bid the same as other teams, so I think you may be way off here. The NBA would never handicap a team like that.

Edited by Lifschitz

2 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

I'm confused.. admittedly I don't know much about how contracts work, but if he goes to UFA doesn't that just mean they can bid whatever on him just like any other team? By declining his rookie option it just means they won't get him on the cheap for another season while getting a productive player.. Why would it mean they can only pay him rookie salary? That doesn't make sense.. as far as I know the rookie scale is up to 3 years from the time they're drafted.. The criticism just meant that they were dumb for not doing it because it's an anti money-ball move, not because they can't re-sign him this summer to a big contract.

Otherwise any team who declines a rookie option would be automatically forfeiting a player they developed since according to what you stated it would mean they can no longer bid the same as other teams, so I think you may be way off here. The NBA would never handicap a team like that.

I think it was Zach Lowe's podcast or Josh Lloyd or something where I heard it, but yea. I didn't know until I heard it too.

Apparently, if you decline the rookie option, the team that declined the option can only resign him at that exact price.

Whereas because he's an UFA, other teams can sign for whatever they want to.

So yea, it's pretty much exactly as you say. Any team who declines a rookie option, is pretty much automatically forfeiting a player they've been developing.

Which is why it's totally a bonkers move for a rebuilding team like the Magic to decline ANY of their players' rookie options, even if the player was total crap.

(which is what Hezonja was last year, but they should no way have declined it)

I'm not 100% on this, because I'm just relaying information I heard, but (either Zach or Josh) was very matter-of-fact about it. Wasn't like a matter of opinion.

So it seems like it's just one of those weird quirks of the CBA.

And pretty much why you like NEVER see an NBA team decline a rookie option.

And proof how how just total crap the Magic organization is.

His rookie option would've been for $5,167,231, so it isn't a tiny number, but considering the potential he's showing, he should be able to potentially get more.

So in this scenario, it kinda would make sense for the Magic to tank his value as much as possible, so that his value at least matches the above number. That way they'll have a chance to be able to resign him come summer. 

Edit: Asked both dude's on twitter, got reply from Josh Lloyd saying "yes".

It really is too bad, because Hezonja has shown what he's about this year. It likely won't be on the Magic next year, but hopefully he can go somewhere he can be trusted and blossom. Depending on where he ends up, I'd def put him on my draft board.

Edited by DavidbivaD

Wow that's a pretty ridiculous stipulation.. makes no sense.. thanks for clarifying. The Magic organization is indeed terrible LOL.. well that nullifies like 90% of what I said in my argument, because there's little to no chance he's going back to the Magic now on a rookie deal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

Wow that's a pretty ridiculous stipulation.. makes no sense.. thanks for clarifying. The Magic organization is indeed terrible LOL.. well that nullifies like 90% of what I said in my argument, because there's little to no chance he's going back to the Magic now on a rookie deal.

Yea.. if it wasn't for the Magic being so ridiculously dumb, Hezonja would've been a great dude to hold onto for rest of season. 

I'm just very glad I'm not a fan of the Magic lol. 

They've lost threw away Oladipo, Harris, signed like 3 centres to big contracts at the same time... lol, gave up on Payton, stupidly gave up on Hezonja...

It really is endless lol.

Edited by DavidbivaD
  • Like 1

Found an interesting article that explains it (little bit older, but seems it's still same in new CBA):

When a team declines an option on a rookie scale contract, two important things happen:

1. The player in question will be an Unrestricted Free Agent after that season.

2. The amount of the option that the team declined is the most the team that has the player when that contract ends can pay him the following summer.

The CBA puts that second restriction on to avoid a situation where a franchise could game the rookie scale by agreeing with a player to decline an option and paying them a higher salary, presumably on a longer deal. Remember that second round picks do not have this rule which explains why the Rockets could have matched Chandler Parsons’ big contract after declining a small team option.

This salary restriction includes exceptions like the Mid-Level and Bi-Annual or even cap space- teams cannot pay more for that season than the option would have been, simple as that. Major League Baseball goes the other way here and allows players to replace low salary and arbitration years (often in exchange for signing away free agency years) but the NBA’s soft cap and smaller rosters make this restriction a smart one.

Additionally, the team also has a cap hold for the amount they would have paid the player under his rookie scale contract for the following season, though they can renounce it to clear the space.

Let’s use Thomas Robinson as an example. Portland had a team option for the 2015-16 season that would have paid T-Rob about $4.66 million. Declining it means that Robinson will be an Unrestricted Free Agent this summer free to sign with anyone he likes without matching or compensation.  While he can sign with any of the other 29 teams for whatever amount he likes from his minimum to his maximum, Robinson cannot come to any agreement with Portland that would have his first-year salary higher than that approximately $4.66 million amount.

In an interesting twist, it appears that Article VII, Section 6(m)(4) of the CBA puts that salary limitation on the team that has the player when his rookie scale contract ends rather than the team that declines the option. This would mean that if Portland traded Robinson during this season, the salary restriction would shift from the Blazers to the team that acquired him. This situation seems awfully unlikely but is fun to ponder nonetheless.

• Like 2