L3onD

Mario Hezonja 2017-18 Season Outlook

wonder what team will take a chance on him next year. hopefully a young team that will utilize him correctly. 

magic fans are actually hoping they use the remaining part of the year as a recruitment process, they give him good mins and role to get him to return next year.

28 minutes ago, sya said:

magic fans are actually hoping they use the remaining part of the year as a recruitment process, they give him good mins and role to get him to return next year.

they have not much else to hope for so.... ;)

8 hours ago, brosephd said:

wonder what team will take a chance on him next year. hopefully a young team that will utilize him correctly. 

I attempted to look up the teams w/ Cap space and while may not be exactly uptodate (https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/247355/The-Maximum-Available-2018-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams) these look like the main teams:

- Atlanta

- Chicago

- Dallas

- Indiana

- Lakers

If you rule out the Lakers assuming they are seeking bigger fish, that leaves 4 teams (Dallas has barnes) with cap that could make a run at him and none of them have a set 3/SF that they are building around (Barnes at Dal can play the 4). 

One clarification that I'm still confused about with the CBA rule, is that it seems to imply that they can't offer more than what the team opt-in would have been for the FIRST YEAR but doesn't mention any subsequent years. So if they can only offer $6M in year 1, how much can they offer for the other 2-3years?

7 hours ago, sya said:

i concur with this as our hope

Do you guys think he will still get 25-30+ minutes after ASB with Vooch and AG back? Really considering pulling the trigger in my 10-team already

has all the tools to be a NBA starter for a very long time. I have also watched enough of Aaron Gordon to decide that Super Mario has a higher upside than AG. I am trying very hard to trade for mario in a keeper league. Wondering what kind of offers you owners of mario in keeper leagues will deem acceptable. 

i watched the last game vs the Bulls, the difference between then and now is super Mario has freedom to do what he wants. He had questionable shot selections on many of his attempts, pulling from deep, with hand in his face, but before when he does that, he gets benched. Now they have no choice but to go to him. Good players take bad shot they should be allowed to do that. Mario's potential on offense is not even close to AG's. He is far better

44 minutes ago, a-rob said:

has all the tools to be a NBA starter for a very long time. I have also watched enough of Aaron Gordon to decide that Super Mario has a higher upside than AG. I am trying very hard to trade for mario in a keeper league. Wondering what kind of offers you owners of mario in keeper leagues will deem acceptable. 

In a keeper I'd totally try to get Mario. He'll definitely put up some good numbers in a good situation.

1 hour ago, hlin8821 said:

Do you guys think he will still get 25-30+ minutes after ASB with Vooch and AG back? Really considering pulling the trigger in my 10-team already

It's almost next to impossible that he'll get 25-30+ min when Vooch and AG are back. Let alone when you also add Isaac and Ross into the pot.

Plus the fact that as was previously discussed, Magic not only have no reason to showcase him, it's actually beneficial for them if Mario loses value in the eyes of the league. (Though it's probably too late for that. Magic just screwed themselves by not picking up his option).

would you trade TJ Warren for Mario in a keeper league? TJ safer role, but Mario higher upside. Not sure if this should be in the assistant coaches forum, but I am trying to get an idea of what is Super Mario's value in keeper leagues

1 minute ago, pdids911 said:

SELL HIGH in redraft leagues. 

how about in dynasty?

2 minutes ago, a-rob said:

how about in dynasty?

I cut him in my dynasty league as his future is just to much of a question mark. No guarantee he signs with a team that gives him good run. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a-rob said:

how about in dynasty?

thats a tough one. if the magic picked up his option, you buy. but hes gonna be a free agent, depends where he goes. 

6 minutes ago, pdids911 said:

SELL HIGH in redraft leagues. 

I would agree, but if you are in a competitive league, no one is giving you anything for a player that will likely take a huge hit when Gordon/Vucevic return. Maybe in one of those free public yahoo leagues...

Personally, I am in a keeper league so I have reason to hang on to him until the end of the season on the outside chance he lands in a good situation next season. 

• Like 1

I hope in all my heart he impresses his coach, draws start when both AG and Vuc returns, sending Fournier as 6th man and gets 30+ minutes per night!! Owners, lets pray and hope!

24 minutes ago, Mambamode said:

I hope in all my heart he impresses his coach, draws start when both AG and Vuc returns, sending Fournier as 6th man and gets 30+ minutes per night!! Owners, lets pray and hope!

There is no way he forces Fournier to be the 6th man (and it wont benefit him as Fournier plays SG). But Owners SHOULD hope that Magic wake up, get some commitments from Hez and they move J Simmons to be the 6th man. So Hez can start at the 3, play back-up 4. Or that Magic play AG back-up 5 minutes, when he starts at he 4, so Hez would get all the minutes from back-up 3 and 4... but Hez has 35 min a night atm due to 4 rotation players missing... 2 are starters... so I am hoping for the confidence to continue and 25 min, anything above is a fairytale (last month 25.7m, last 2 weeks 31min  last month per game rank in top 70. )

Edited by Raziballs3324
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Raziballs3324 said:

There is no way he forces Fournier to be the 6th man (and it wont benefit him as Fournier plays SG). But Owners SHOULD hope that Magic wake up, get some commitments from Hez and they move J Simmons to be the 6th man. So Hez can start at the 3, play back-up 4. Or that Magic play AG back-up 5 minutes, when he starts at he 4, so Hez would get all the minutes from back-up 3 and 4... but Hez has 35 min a night atm due to 4 rotation players missing... 2 are starters... so I am hoping for the confidence to continue and 25 min, anything above is a fairytale (last month 25.7m, last 2 weeks 31min  last month per game rank in top 70. )

As has been said many times already the magic turned down a team option on him for next year. The odds of them retaining him are slim because other teams can offer more money than the magic so once they're fully healthy it seems unlikely he gets major burn because he's as good as gone after the year. 

I'm seeing what happens after the break..He's my third magic player on my team (AG and Fournier) but can't drop just yet..plus they have a decent schedule for that short week after ASB

loving his production though

5 hours ago, Raziballs3324 said:

Simmons is a 28 year old journeyman. Solid player, but not someone they need to give minutes to. It makes zero sense for him to continue getting 30 minutes a night. 

A starting lineup of:
PG DJ

SG Mario

SF Fournier 

PF Gordon

C Biyombo

With Simmons getting 20 minutes off the bench behind Mario/Fournier can work. While some guys are coming back, you can probably cut Afflalo and Speights minutes down to near zero. Not sure if they want to see more of Iwundu. 

If they hadn't turned down the team option, I'd be confident that they would make this work for Mario. But having declined it, I have zero reason to believe the Magic are looking for ways to get Mario minutes. If anything, the better he plays the dumber they look. 

For those looking for a silver lining:

"Because of that decision, Hezonja will become an unrestricted free agent in July.

Hezonja has said repeatedly he loves living in Orlando, and the Magic can re-sign him over the summer. At the same time, however, Hezonja now is essentially auditioning for other teams, trying to prove he deserves a free-agent contract in a market in which few teams will have significant cap space available."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-mario-hezonja-0214-story.html

• Like 1

Vogel said yesterday based on what Mario has been doing he will still see alot of minutes and the 3 and the 4

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

Simmons is a 28 year old journeyman. Solid player, but not someone they need to give minutes to. It makes zero sense for him to continue getting 30 minutes a night. 

A starting lineup of:
PG DJ

SG Mario

SF Fournier 

PF Gordon

C Biyombo

With Simmons getting 20 minutes off the bench behind Mario/Fournier can work. While some guys are coming back, you can probably cut Afflalo and Speights minutes down to near zero. Not sure if they want to see more of Iwundu. 

If they hadn't turned down the team option, I'd be confident that they would make this work for Mario. But having declined it, I have zero reason to believe the Magic are looking for ways to get Mario minutes. If anything, the better he plays the dumber they look. 

For those looking for a silver lining:

"Because of that decision, Hezonja will become an unrestricted free agent in July.

Hezonja has said repeatedly he loves living in Orlando, and the Magic can re-sign him over the summer. At the same time, however, Hezonja now is essentially auditioning for other teams, trying to prove he deserves a free-agent contract in a market in which few teams will have significant cap space available."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-orlando-magic-mario-hezonja-0214-story.html

I agree, just that Fournier plays the 2 and Hez plays the 3. Fournier does not play the 3 :)

2 hours ago, Raziballs3324 said:

I agree, just that Fournier plays the 2 and Hez plays the 3. Fournier does not play the 3 :)

Mario's best minutes have come from the PF position. Which is AG's spot. 

Also, J Simmons was literally JUST paid by the magic in the summer. The same summer that they decided they didn't like Mario.

Honestly, I get everyone wanting Mario to continue being Super Mario, but every single arrow points to a big, fat NO.

I get it. I have him too. I want him to keep doing this and be an amazing waiver pickup.

Unfortunately, he's not going to, because Magic not only have no incentive to play him, they have incentive to NOT play him. 

The less other teams notice and take interest in Mario, actually BETTERS the Magic's chances to resign Mario.

If I was the Magic, I'd be hoping to put him back into small minutes, and hoping he sucks in those minutes.

That way, he won't command more $ than his rookie option, and THAT would allow me to resign him. 

We all just need to prepare for the huge, inevitable drop off that's coming after the ASB.

Sad. Face.

• Like 1