2ndCitySox

Zack Godley 2018 Outlook

Just now, taobball said:

So how good do you think he ultimately is? Because I've certainly soured on him throughout this year compared to where I was in the preseason. 

His sinker is down 1.5 mph from last season.  His curve is down about 1.2 mph.  

The good news is that he seems to be throwing it for strikes lately and hitters can not seem to lay off the pitch in the dirt still.

9 minutes ago, taobball said:

So how good do you think he ultimately is? Because I've certainly soured on him throughout this year compared to where I was in the preseason. 

I wasn't very high on him in the preseason -- I didn't get him in any of my four leagues.  The ADP was just crazy to me for a guy who had essentially 2/3 of a good-to-great season.  The one share I do have was a waiver grab, and at that price, I'm pretty happy to see where it goes.

I think ROS he slots in as a back-end rotation piece in 12-teamers that you have to do some significant matchup homework with, but better than a streaming slot.  I mentioned Shoemaker before as another one-pitch guy who could be useful because that pitch was so good, and peak Shoemaker seems like a good comp ROS to me.  Not exactly a bullish projection, and not one that's going to make people who drafted him near the top 100 happy, but it's not like he has a track record of greatness to inspire some more confidence.

• Like 2

As someone who drafted him in all my leagues I finally cut my last share of him a couple weeks ago. I think its just one of those things where for me I just felt like I over estimated him being a potential breakout but he's looking more like a flash in the pan. Everything about him is down. The swng strk and O-swing are both down noticeably from last year and the walks are up too also the gb/fb ratio is not as strong. Not a good combination. He is coming off of two good outings so maybe he's found something so to speak - but they were two favorable matchups one against a surprisingly anemic Rockies O and of course last night the Mets. But if anyone wants to grab him off waivers and see what he can do I'll never argue against that- theres nothing to lose. For me I've seen enough where I just dont think he's much more than a potential streamer in favorable spots.He has really one plus pitch and when he's not getting guys to chase the curve out of the zone he's in trouble. I just don't think he has a good enough arsenal to attack hitters in the zone and expect reasonable results. And when you combine those two things it can get ugly. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

As someone who drafted him in all my leagues I finally cut my last share of him a couple weeks ago. I think its just one of those things where for me I just felt like I over estimated him being a potential breakout but he's looking more like a flash in the pan. Everything about him is down. The swng strk and O-swing are both down noticeably from last year and the walks are up too also the gb/fb ratio is not as strong. Not a good combination. He is coming off of two good outings so maybe he's found something so to speak - but they were two favorable matchups one against a surprisingly anemic Rockies O and of course last night the Mets. But if anyone wants to grab him off waivers and see what he can do I'll never argue against that- theres nothing to lose. For me I've seen enough where I just dont think he's much more than a potential streamer in favorable spots.He has really one plus pitch and when he's not getting guys to chase the curve out of the zone he's in trouble. I just don't think he has a good enough arsenal to attack hitters in the zone and expect reasonable results. And when you combine those two things it can get ugly. 

I kept him as one of my ten keepers. Between his 2017 campaign and the “humidor effect “ I was overly optimistic. Shows you how things can turn on a dime. I’ve been reluctant to drop him....Maybe I’ll be able to stream him as a #5 at home v weaker lineups.

1 minute ago, Chickie said:

I kept him as one of my ten keepers. Between his 2017 campaign and the “humidor effect “ I was overly optimistic. Shows you how things can turn on a dime. I’ve been reluctant to drop him....Maybe I’ll be able to stream him as a #5 at home v weaker lineups.

Same here- and I think you can probably get some decent results you just have to pick your spots very carefully. 

59 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Same here- and I think you can probably get some decent results you just have to pick your spots very carefully. 

I was overly optimistic, as well. I thought I might have a solid No2 to my Nola, but boy was I wrong. I gave up on him a few starts ago, and tbh I haven't looked back. The thing is, I never trust pitchers with his limited history of success as anything more than a backend SP to my staff...but I broke my "rule" for Godley. Shame on me. 

I personally think Godley can be a serviceable back-of-the-staff guy, but I wouldn't count on him as anything more right now. 

• Like 1

Starting him tonight on a hunch.

Pirates are not nearly as familiar with him as NL West teams.  I could see a solid performance.  

I dropped him but he's luring me back in, might add him back. Maybe I'm just a sucker but he abused my ratios so much that I want him to make up for it. 

On 6/22/2018 at 7:39 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

I dropped him but he's luring me back in, might add him back. Maybe I'm just a sucker but he abused my ratios so much that I want him to make up for it. 

Haven't started Godley in about three weeks.  But with three quality outings in a row, combined with two appealing match ups this week, I'm hesitantly going to start him.  Fingers crossed he doesn't let me down.  

I trust him really against any team anywhere except @LAD and @SF.  Two teams familiar with him and are patient at the plate.

Teams that don't see him often can't lay off that curveball. 

• Like 1

Still utter trash. 

A 2.00 WHIP. 

Guy doesn’t know what a 1-2-3 inning is. 

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Still utter trash. 

A 2.00 WHIP. 

Guy doesn’t know what a 1-2-3 inning is. 

Ughhhhhhh.  First time in weeks I start Godley and that's the result I get.  I'm within an eyelash of dropping him. 

Godley's delivery...

w1w5Aq.gif

Anyone you can only use at home, vs bottom 20 offenses, who still ***** all over your ratios.. is just not all that useful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ragrag said:

Godley's delivery...

w1w5Aq.gif

Anyone you can only use at home, vs bottom 20 offenses, who still ***** all over your ratios.. is just not all that useful.

Well he has a sub 3 era at home against all offenses .

I recently bought super low, my body is ready. Looking at his splits there seems to just be a huge walk discrapency on the road.

Surprised his ERA isn't 10 with all the baserunners he allows. If he could just reduce the WHIP...

[ Use the Game Day thread until a pitcher's line is complete. ]

1 hour ago, All rise for Albies said:

Had enough of this chump.  In a Fifteen team league have had to stick with him, but he driven me insane

I'm surprised he is still owned in any league, he should of been abandoned a long time ago.

• Like 1

So.... Can't throw this pos on the road and can't throw this pos vs anyone in the division... so what's that.  like 4 starts ROS where he's maybe startable??

I know it was the Padres but he pitched well last night.

He has pitched well against all teams except SFG, LAD, and WAS.  

Still has value as a streamer in deep leagues.