duke of queens

New York Mets 2018 Outlook

I don't know how much more nickel and diming I can take from this team. Just watch, Mets will have the same infield they ended the year with in 2017 and that is not a good thing.

25 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I don't know how much more nickel and diming I can take from this team. Just watch, Mets will have the same infield they ended the year with in 2017 and that is not a good thing.

I would be more upset if all of the young pitchers were healthy and ready to pitch up to their potential.  

But Matz, Harvey and Wheeler are not the same and who knows if they ever will again. 

Syndergaard should return to form and deGrom is fine........at least right now anyway.

The Wilpons suck as owners and don't deserve to own this franchise.

New owners would run it like a big market team unless Derek Jeter was involved.

Newsday article is very telling about ownership: https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-jeff-wilpon-1.15485312

Its unfathomable how cheap the team has been this offseason and plans to be. Every free agent they "inquire" into but never make a move. There's a blurb on rotoworld how Kipnis' salary of 30M over next 2 years is too expensive for Mets, even when giving relatively nothing in form of prospects. Really? Mets are in New York, how can they not afford this? If they really had any interest in improving the team, they would make a move exactly like this. Instead the big moves this season are Anthony Swarzak and Jose Lobaton. Pretty embarrassing. Mets traded all of the veterans last year for very little in prospects mainly to cut payroll moreso than acquire talent. Fans rightly expected this to translate into more spending but it hasn't. If that was the case, they should have been going for prospects rather than saving more money. It just seems like the team has no consistent plan, and this article kind of paints that picture with some real evidence.

My only guess is that the Wilpons must still be reeling from the Madoff scandal, which is acceptable, they got screwed over by a ponzi scheme; but, if you are in financial distress, MLB should have been more proactive in forcing the sale of the team. Look what happened with the Dodgers and McCourt. McCourt was forced to sell the team when in financial distress, and the new owners (flush with money) actually spent like a big market team. Selling the team would give the Wilpons the money they need. If I am wrong and the Wilpons have no money problems, then it truly is embarrassing they are not allowing Alderson to acquire any big free agents or trade pieces.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Newsday article is very telling about ownership: https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-jeff-wilpon-1.15485312

Its unfathomable how cheap the team has been this offseason and plans to be. Every free agent they "inquire" into but never make a move. There's a blurb on rotoworld how Kipnis' salary of 30M over next 2 years is too expensive for Mets, even when giving relatively nothing in form of prospects. Really? Mets are in New York, how can they not afford this? If they really had any interest in improving the team, they would make a move exactly like this. Instead the big moves this season are Anthony Swarzak and Jose Lobaton. Pretty embarrassing. Mets traded all of the veterans last year for very little in prospects mainly to cut payroll moreso than acquire talent. Fans rightly expected this to translate into more spending but it hasn't. If that was the case, they should have been going for prospects rather than saving more money. It just seems like the team has no consistent plan, and this article kind of paints that picture with some real evidence.

My only guess is that the Wilpons must still be reeling from the Madoff scandal, which is acceptable, they got screwed over by a ponzi scheme; but, if you are in financial distress, MLB should have been more proactive in forcing the sale of the team. Look what happened with the Dodgers and McCourt. McCourt was forced to sell the team when in financial distress, and the new owners (flush with money) actually spent like a big market team. Selling the team would give the Wilpons the money they need. If I am wrong and the Wilpons have no money problems, then it truly is embarrassing they are not allowing Alderson to acquire any big free agents or trade pieces.

Couldn't agree more with Carig. 

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

At least with the Pirates they don't even inquire on any worthwhile free agents ... unless you consider Daniel Hudson and John Jaso worthwhile.

I'll still follow them and watch the games because what else am I going to do but I'll never spend any of my money on them again until something changes. If the owners aren't going to put in the effort necessary to be competitive or show even the tiniest hint that they care about winning I can't put the effort in as a fan. I suspect the Mets faithful care more about the on field success of the team than the Wilpons do unfortunately. I'm tired of hearing about the Madoff stuff too. Why am I supposed to care about that? You don't "need" to own a baseball team.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

I'll still follow them and watch the games because what else am I going to do but I'll never spend any of my money on them again until something changes. If the owners aren't going to put in the effort necessary to be competitive or show even the tiniest hint that they care about winning I can't put the effort in as a fan. I suspect the Mets faithful care more about the on field success of the team than the Wilpons do unfortunately. I'm tired of hearing about the Madoff stuff too. Why am I supposed to care about that? You don't "need" to own a baseball team.

^this

• Like 1

Paraphrasing here but- How about Sandy responding to the Stanton deal by saying we don't need Stanton we have Brandon Nimmo. Wow I mean I get he's trying to make light of the situation but uhhh yeah thats kind of a slap to the face of your fans. Awful. Better off just not saying anything !

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Paraphrasing here but- How about Sandy responding to the Stanton deal by saying we don't need Stanton we have Brandon Nimmo. Wow I mean I get he's trying to make light of the situation but uhhh yeah thats kind of a slap to the face of your fans. Awful. Better off just not saying anything !

They don't need a Manny Machado, they have David Wright  

• Haha 2

Sandy Alderson has been extended for an unknown length of time as a reward for the excellent job he's done not just this off-season, but during his entire tenure in NY.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Sandy Alderson has been extended for an unknown length of time as a reward for the excellent job he's done not just this off-season, but during his entire tenure in NY.

Anthony Swarzak must have sealed the deal. Sandy isn't done yet A-Gon may be on the way too!!

6 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Anthony Swarzak must have sealed the deal. Sandy isn't done yet A-Gon may be on the way too!!

That would be incredible! Maybe they could get Doc Golden to come out of retirement. 

Keith Hernandez would add some fire and mustache to the clubhouse. I'd call him up

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Haha 2

He's talking like the Wilpons own a diner or something. It's not like the business they own would sell for almost 2 billion dollars if they put it on the market or anything.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DidiFan said:

LOL!  There is one born every minute.

And I don't know who this Phillips guy is but he uses GM after his name so is he the Mets GM busy kissing a**?  He is a delusional idiot.

Steve Phillips? Is he the guy who dresses up in the Mr. Met costume ? 

6 hours ago, DidiFan said:

Steve Phillips? Is he the guy who dresses up in the Mr. Met costume ? 

He's just trying to keep his job, man.

• Haha 1

The Met fan is funny.

In, I guess you would call it a "bull" free agent market, where prices are high and guys are flying off the board, all I would hear is "Do something! Spend! You're losing out on all these free agents!"

Yet in a bear market like this one where teams have been reluctant to spend and a lot of players are still on the market what I do hear? "Do something! Spend! All these free agents are just sitting there unsigned!"

Can't win.

P.S. the comparison between the Mets and the Yankees is fairly more complicated than "they both play in NY".

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

3 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

The Met fan is funny.

In, I guess you would call it a "bull" free agent market, where prices are high and guys are flying off the board, all I would hear is "Do something! Spend! You're losing out on all these free agents!"

Yet in a bear market like this one where teams have been reluctant to spend and a lot of players are still on the market what I do hear? "Do something! Spend! All these free agents are just sitting there unsigned!"

Can't win.

P.S. the comparison between the Mets and the Yankees is fairly more complicated than "they both play in NY".

Mets are a big market team they should be involved in or be in the conversation on star players that can fill their needs. Mets have Asdrubal Cabrera penciled in as their 3B. How are they not involved in the Manny Machado talks? They have Juan Lagares as a starting outfielder, how are they not looking at JD Martinez, Cain etc.. If they can't be involved in talks with these players because of money then they need new ownership that can afford these players. They just took $65 mil off the books and have spent $15(Cabrera/Swarzak) and according to Sherman only plan to spend around 10-18 mil more. If they are not reinvesting this into the team they are doing a disservice to their loyal fan base.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

Maybe Fred Wilpon should care more about his own team than what the Yankees are doing.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/21/fred-wilpon-irate-about-yankees-getting-giancarlo-stanton/

Lol good lord that paints Wilpon in an awful light. He's pathetic and if the article is accurate, it's proof he needs to sell. Their payroll is around middle of the pack with Angels, Mariners, Cardinals. And that's just looking at last year - the several years before that they were Closer to the bottom. . Just an embarrassing franchise for being in such a huge market. He needs to sell and let someone handle it who isn't dumb enough to send their cash into a Nigerian prince scam.