duke of queens

New York Mets 2018 Outlook

For the MEts to trade DeGrom it would need to be a bonanza of young players in the majors and prospect...Yankees would literally be one of the few teams who could meet such a price and still be in good shape to win it all.....While it doesnt make sense to not do business just because they are the Yankees I can see them pushing for more than the average club for PR reasons.....If I were the Mets I'd want something like Torres, Andujar and a mid level prospect - to get it done - the Yanks would still be in great shape to win it all - plus have a cheap ace through 2020 - win/win.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

For the MEts to trade DeGrom it would need to be a bonanza of young players in the majors and prospect...Yankees would literally be one of the few teams who could meet such a price and still be in good shape to win it all.....While it doesnt make sense to not do business just because they are the Yankees I can see them pushing for more than the average club for PR reasons.....If I were the Mets I'd want something like Torres, Andujar and a mid level prospect - to get it done - the Yanks would still be in great shape to win it all - plus have a cheap ace through 2020 - win/win.  

No contending team trades 2 guys off their current roster

• Like 2

Mets went to World Series not too long ago and the lineup(below) that put them 5 games over .500 at the All Star break was a lot worse than what we see now. They also have a very similar staff(Minus Harvey) and probably a little better bullpen:

1.Granderson

2.Murphy

3.Flores

4.Duda

5.Niewenhuis

6.Monell

7.Tejada

8.Niese

9.Lagares

Just now, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

I don't think that's true at all. Depends on the players obviously.

The idea that the Yankees wouldn't give two players on the Yankee roster to get DeGrom is silly. They probably wouldn't give Torres, because of his youth and future, and someone more middling like Andujar, another ML-caliber player, and some prospects? For someone with potential to set the top of your rotation with Severino? That's an easy trade. Andujar ain't keeping the Yankees from making a move for DeGrom. Torres could. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

probably not but thats what it would take if I were GM of the Mets...and Yanks are in a rare position where they have Drury and others to replace the two they are dealing....I think it puts them in a better position for post season plus team control through 2020 gives them 3 shots at rings with a top 10 SP for cheap.  

Andujar is a lot better than middling. He was a top-15 prospect in baseball according to FG coming into the season and now he’s probably the frontrunner for ROY. Not saying the Yankees shouldn’t consider moving him if deGrom is the return, but it’d be a tough call. 

• Like 1

Just now, absknicks said:

Andujar is a lot better than middling. He was a top-15 prospect in baseball according to FG coming into the season and now he’s probably the frontrunner for ROY. Not saying the Yankees shouldn’t consider moving him if deGrom is the return, but it’d be a tough call. 

Exactly. Moving him would be one thing plus others but asking for both of them plus others is a non starter

• Like 2

Calling Andujar middling is a bit rough, but I am comparing him pretty directly to Gleyber Torres. Maybe Andujar ends up being a .310 hitter, but much more likely I think he's just closer to a .280/20 guy for his career, without a great eye at the plate. Nothing wrong with that, and that's probably a career starter who's a good value over his 6-years of team control, but I don't think Andujar's a player you cling to or worry about when it comes to a DeGrom deal. I think Torres is.

Andujar, maybe another ML player, but mainly Andujar+prospects I think would be a good deal for both sides. Mets fans don't want to completely crash-- getting Andujar gives them a right now player, and an addition to other solid future pieces in the line-up. DeGrom probably makes a greater impact at a WS run this year for the NYY. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Exactly. Moving him would be one thing plus others but asking for both of them plus others is a non starter

as a reds fan I have no dog in this fight...but i am local and enjoy watching both teams....Mets cant afford to trade DeGrom or Synd unless a no brainer pkg....so they are not dealing either one for 1 good player...it would have to be a haul

As for Yankees...I understand the value of both Andujar and Torres but you are talking a top 10 SP under club control through 2020....they have the bats, prospects and players to replace those 2...im not convinced they have the pitching to win it all.....I'd really consider it if I was the Yanks..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

No way Yanks are giving up both. I still believe Torres has become an untouchable and Andujar is starting to become that too. Those guys are 1-2 in ROY right now.

Just now, taobball said:

Calling Andujar middling is a bit rough, but I am comparing him pretty directly to Gleyber Torres. Maybe Andujar ends up being a .310 hitter, but much more likely I think he's just closer to a .280/20 guy for his career, without a great eye at the plate. Nothing wrong with that, and that's probably a career starter who's a good value over his 6-years of team control, but I don't think Andujar's a player you cling to or worry about when it comes to a DeGrom deal. I think Torres is.

Andujar, maybe another ML player, but mainly Andujar+prospects I think would be a good deal for both sides. Mets fans don't want to completely crash-- getting Andujar gives them a right now player, and an addition to other solid future pieces in the line-up. DeGrom probably makes a greater impact at a WS run this year for the NYY. 

Andujar,Shefield and 2 other lower level prospects would be a decent offer

You know the market for deGrom is soft when the only possible trades you can conceive are with the Yankees.

Other teams either don't have the prospects or aren't in the market (ie, aren't buyers) .

1 hour ago, taobball said:

The idea that the Yankees wouldn't give two players on the Yankee roster to get DeGrom is silly. They probably wouldn't give Torres, because of his youth and future, and someone more middling like Andujar, another ML-caliber player, and some prospects? For someone with potential to set the top of your rotation with Severino? That's an easy trade. Andujar ain't keeping the Yankees from making a move for DeGrom. Torres could. 

Mets can ask all they want, but to not at least consider the Yankees counter offer, is ridiculous, stupid, and neglectful;
No one in recent memory has given up an established every day starter, even a rookie, for any starter, and the comp is Sale and they got a top prospect who played in September. What they got in reality was a Frazier type, a Whitlock, and some other lower tier prospects; (Kopech gets a higher rating simply because of him throwing 103) Trading a solid, productive position player has a much different value than a pitcher;
If the Mets or any other team is trying to run a business & make it better, then asking for more from the Yankees, and settling for less from others then what the Yankees counter offer are more concerned about hurting the Yankees then making themselves better.

2 hours ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Plus that doesn't necessarily make sense for the Mets.

Do they want top 100 prospects or players that can help them now? If it's the latter, then just keep deGrom.

• Like 1

Would a team like Houston make sense? A lot of young talent both at the MLB level and in the minors and still has some cash to burn salary cap wise to take a bad contract (which the Mets have more than a few)?

17 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Would a team like Houston make sense? A lot of young talent both at the MLB level and in the minors and still has some cash to burn salary cap wise to take a bad contract (which the Mets have more than a few)?

What exactly would deGrom do in Houston?  They already have the best rotation in baseball with no weakness in their starting five.  They could use another bat in the outfield maybe until Kyle Tucker comes up.  But they have two of their starters from last year in their bullpen and the best pitching prospect in baseball, Forrest Whitley,  could be up for the September stretch.

Red Sox would love him but they don't have the players to put a package together with.  Seattle the same.  And Cleveland though they have a better farm system then the other two.  Dodgers probably need him the most if they want to salvage their season at all.  Angels lost Ohtani.  D-backs are floundering.  Nats have lost for who knows how long Strasburg though they are a no-no being in the same division.  Cubs lost and/or wished they never signed Yu.  Milwaukee and St Louis (Reyes out again) would love to upgrade to a deGrom. 

Everyone contending needs a superstar elite pitcher except perhaps the Astros in other words, heh.  So I don't see them dealing top grade youth for deGrom.  Because the Mets would want both Whitley AND Tucker and maybe a third or fourth lesser prospect(s) which it would be insane for Houston to do. 

In the end no one has both as much of a pressing need AND the ability to put together a better top grade mega-package then the Yankees right now.  They don't want to finish second to the Sox and end up in a one game sudden death wild card.  And even if they survived that they would have had to use up Severino in that game so not having him but for one start in that best of 5 series.

4 hours ago, taobball said:

so what did you think of my trade on the last page or 2?

no torres

but Andujar, Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield and maybe even Albert Abreu

any mets fan who thinks they are getting torres and andujar are crazy.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

You know the market for deGrom is soft when the only possible trades you can conceive are with the Yankees.

Other teams either don't have the prospects or aren't in the market (ie, aren't buyers) .

its just none of the other teams who would want him have anywhere CLOSE to the system the yanks do.

6 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

so what did you think of my trade on the last page or 2?

no torres

but Andujar, Clint Frazier, Justus Sheffield and maybe even Albert Abreu

any mets fan who thinks they are getting torres and andujar are crazy.  

I'm a Met fan and I want Torres and another prospect, Andujar could be left out. I don't see the Yanks doing that though. Your trade offer is good but there really is no urgency out there to trade DeGrom unless you're getting back a top 5 overall 'can't miss' prospect. If they trade DeGrom and none of those guys make it and Torres and DeGrom are on the other side of town tearing the league apart then the Mets are going to be in serious trouble with the fan base.  

This entire debate started because Boomer Esiason had nothing else to talk about on the radio one morning a few weeks ago. UGH...

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

I'm a Met fan and I want Torres and another prospect, Andujar could be left out. I don't see the Yanks doing that though. Your trade offer is good but there really is no urgency out there to trade DeGrom unless you're getting back a top 5 overall 'can't miss' prospect. If they trade DeGrom and none of those guys make it and Torres and DeGrom are on the other side of town tearing the league apart then the Mets are going to be in serious trouble with the fan base.  

This entire debate started because Boomer Esiason had nothing else to talk about on the radio one morning a few weeks ago. UGH...

well im a yankee fan and i want a toilet seat made out of Gold...

Edited by jfazz23

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

well im a yankee fan and i want a toilet seat made out of Gold...

You Yankee fans usually do lol

If I were a Yankee fan I wouldn't move Torres for anyone either.

But if you were a Met fan you would rather have DeGrom than the three prospects that you're offering. And clearly as a Yankee fan you would rather have DeGrom than the three prospect that you're offering otherwise you wouldn't be offering them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

You Yankee fans usually do lol

If I were a Yankee fan I wouldn't move Torres for anyone either.

But if you were a Met fan you would rather have DeGrom than the three prospects that you're offering. And clearly as a Yankee fan you would rather have DeGrom than the three prospect that you're offering otherwise you wouldn't be offering them. 

if i were a mets fan i would go total rebuild.  i even said in the offseason they shouldnt have signed Bruce.  if harvey turned into the player we all thought he was i would have thought otherwise.  but even with degrom and Thor this is a 75 win team.  the worst thing a baseball team can do to its fans is be in 75 win limbo for 5 years.  better off tanking a season and losing a 100 games, and in 2 years be a 90 win team IMO

I believe Frazier is actually a very important piece both in the lineup and on the field.

Hopefully they play better now that he's back.

Dominic Smith getting another shot with A Gon a-GONE.  I read somewhere that he could be a Top 15 1B ROS.  Or maybe that was coming from a Mets homer.  :lol:

Just now, Yceman1234 said:

Dominic Smith getting another shot with A Gon a-GONE.  I read somewhere that he could be a Top 15 1B ROS.  Or maybe that was coming from a Mets homer.  :lol:

Hopefully his alarm is working