duke of queens

New York Mets 2018 Outlook

20 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

deGrom, and Familia for Jon Gray, David Dahl, Adam Ottavino, and Ryan McMahon.

Who says "no"?

Yuck

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Who says "no"?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Who says "no"?

not better than my yankees offer lol

57 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Yuck

54 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

not better than my yankees offer lol

haha

at least give me credit for trying to come up with a trade that doesn't involve the Yankees!

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

haha

at least give me credit for trying to come up with a trade that doesn't involve the Yankees!

ha totally. I really couldnt come up with one myself- I am not very creative when it comes to these sort of hypothetical trades. And to prove it - how about another non creative trade idea- I'm not sure if its been mentioned probably but what about Sanchez being part of a deal to get DeGrom?

-on second thought it would make no sense for yanks to move Gary at his lowest point. Like I said I stink at making trade ideas- Carry on !

Edited by DidiFan

6 hours ago, Yceman1234 said:

Dominic Smith getting another shot with A Gon a-GONE.  I read somewhere that he could be a Top 15 1B ROS.  Or maybe that was coming from a Mets homer.  :lol:

Smith was a highly regarded prospect for a while....even when fat...he looked lousy in his callup last Sept which took some shine off....but then he lost a lot of weight in offseason and was looking solid until he got hurt....its a good move to give him a shot...Meadows looked mediocre in minors and somehow it clicked in the majors...sometimes it happened....could happen with Smith.  whats the harm....

Peter Alonso>>>>Dom Smith

4 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

he looked lousy in his callup last Sept which took some shine off

Define "looked lousy"

Yea Smith hit .198 but the underlying metrics show some promise imo. And what player hasnt had a rough go of it in his first taste of the bigs?

Now if he literally looked out of shape that's a different story.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Who says "no"?

The Mets ... and all of humanity. 

Also all fantasy owners of deGrom just had heart attacks at the very thought of him having to pitch half his games at Coors.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

The Angels lost Ohtani for possibly the year and they really could use another RP badly do they have the pieces to trade for Familia and DeGrom? I know next to nothing about their minor league System outside of Adell- 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

The Angels lost Ohtani for possibly the year and they really could use another RP badly do they have the pieces to trade for Familia and DeGrom? I know next to nothing about their minor league System outside of Adell- 

Their farm system has been one of the worst in baseball.  Not as bad as a couple of years ago when they were THE worse but still pretty darn bad.  Maybe Trout would get the trade done though.  :P

Phillies probably have enough prospects though Sixto would be the Mets first demand on their mega-wish list no doubt and the farm would be pretty bare at the end.  Also same division so not happening.  Same goes with the Braves who have a whole pack of excellent pitching prospects squirreled away.  So it still leans heavily towards the Yankees.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, the Braves of the 90s shot all kinds of holes in the pitching-wins-championships theory. It won them a bunch of division championships and some NL pennants, but it only got them on World Series ring. 

That was because their bullpens were consistently subpar.

14 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

as a reds fan I have no dog in this fight...but i am local and enjoy watching both teams....Mets cant afford to trade DeGrom or Synd unless a no brainer pkg....so they are not dealing either one for 1 good player...it would have to be a haul

As for Yankees...I understand the value of both Andujar and Torres but you are talking a top 10 SP under club control through 2020....they have the bats, prospects and players to replace those 2...im not convinced they have the pitching to win it all.....I'd really consider it if I was the Yanks..

The yanks would have to do it if the asking price was Andujar, Sheffield, and Frazier.  Degrom is under contract through 2020 and replaces Tanaka in the rotation going forward.

Would the Mets?   Would depend on the other offers on the table.  I'd lean yes but I'd have to watch a lot more of Sheffield.

No chance Torres gets dealt. 

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Their farm system has been one of the worst in baseball.  Not as bad as a couple of years ago when they were THE worse but still pretty darn bad.  Maybe Trout would get the trade done though.  :P

Phillies probably have enough prospects though Sixto would be the Mets first demand on their mega-wish list no doubt and the farm would be pretty bare at the end.  Also same division so not happening.  Same goes with the Braves who have a whole pack of excellent pitching prospects squirreled away.  So it still leans heavily towards the Yankees.

Angels system has taken a HUGE leap over the last year.   They don't have any knocking on the door bats but Adell and Marsh are impressive hitting prospects.  And on the mound they have five pitching prospects that are very intriguing in Canning, Soriano, Suarez, Rodriguez, Barria.  

On 6/10/2018 at 7:22 PM, Low and Away said:

Trade DeGrom to Boston. 

Look at from a postseason standpoint. Either the Yankees or Boston becomes a wild card team. One and done a possibility so Sale/Severino pitch that game.  The winner gets 1 day off and either faces Kluber or Verlander.  If the Wild Card winner goes against Houston, I'll take Houston's pitching with either Boston starting Price ( traditionally bad in the postseason) or the Yankees trotting out Gray or CC and doesn't that just fill you with confidence.

The laughter about Houston trading for him doesn't make sense. Face it Verlander is not young anymore. A starting staff lead by DeGrom in a couple of years (a couple of years finishes Verlander's contract)with Cole would look better than just a starting staff lead by Cole. Whitley, no matter how he is ranked now, is still just a prospect. If he lives up to the hype fantastic the rotation becomes stronger. If not you have covered your bases with DeGrom.

Even this year adding DeGrom and dropping Kuechel or Morton to the bullpen strengthens the SP and RP. 

Overall I doubt DeGrom gets traded even at the deadline as the Mets probably feel with everyone healthy they still have a chance for the Wild Card and maybe they do. The Nats as a team are just injuries waiting to happen and imo both the Phillies and Braves are a year away with all the rookies gaining valuable experience this year.

21 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Wish wilpons will just sell the team.

I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon.   

But they could get rid of Alderson and get a good young baseball guy who understands how to build a young sustainable team.

I thought Sandy got Bruce and Frazier for decent deals in the winter to complement Cespedes and Conforto. 

That plan looks pretty bad at the moment and now the talk is possibly trading off deGrom to acquire young assets for the future.

I think degrom is under control thru 2020. Would better get some A list prospects. Better yet they shd not trade him.

18 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

I think degrom is under control thru 2020. Would better get some A list prospects. Better yet they shd not trade him.

Mets need to ask for an overpay and if they don't get it you hope next year is better with him. He's a late bloomer in the mold of Kluber having the best season of his career, with hardly any mileage on his arm. If a New York market team can't build around who's right now an unquestioned top 3-5 arm in the game shame on them.