duke of queens

New York Mets 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Noah Syndegaard

 

Zach Wheeler is panning out right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CuredMeats said:

 

Zach Wheeler is panning out right now. 

And Thor was the throw in in that deal. D'Arnaud was the Mets target so they kinda got lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True they got him for Dickey. I was thinking they got D'Arnaud. Blanked on Thor.

 

Anyone else? I mean I can remember Alex Ochoa, Jeff Kent, Ryan Thompson from the 90s when I was a huge Mess fan. Kent doesn't count cuz he only got good after he left NY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 2:52 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

Except they don' need one piece.  They need about a half dozen pieces.  And they can't buy their way to a playoff spot because of that.  They need a farm for both new blood and decent prospects they can trade for "pieces."

 

They really should look at that other New York team.  The Yankees learned the hard way that in this new era of the luxury tax making a very serious impact now unlike the past and international signings having a limited pool of money that you just can;t throw endless money at your problems no matter how deep your pockets.  So they changed with the times quickly learning that a strong farm is essential.  And once you see you are out of it for a season start selling for prospects.  Only then can your deep pockets come in as a "kicker" to that you might say.

 

Classic example of the one-two punch is renting out Chapman to the Cubs for Gleyber Torres and others then using their deep pockets to get Chapman back in the off season.

 

Don't get me wrong. As much as I love the guy, deGrom needs to be traded. He'll be 30 by the time he's a free agent, I don't see the Mets turning it around by then, and we won't resign him. But just like that, the Mets cannot trade him for 10 cents on the dollar. An elite pitcher, arguably the best pitcher in the NL this year, who has 2 more years of control demands a HUGE package. It will never happen, but if he were to be traded to the Yankees, it is perfectly fair for the Mets to demand Torres in the deal. However, the Yankees know he is untradable. Thus, it would have to be a package of Andujar, Frazier, Sheffield/Adams, and Florial. Something like that. 

 

However, what boggles my mind is how the Mets do not do the common sense thing ever. Sign some of these veteran guys to 1 year deals (forget how much money you would have to pay) and flip them at the deadline. We've seen ridiculous packages for rental pieces. Moose would have been the perfect one year rental. If you compete, he's a great bat to have in the line-up. If you fall out, you can flip him for a good return. Same with SP and RP. But when the rest of baseball does it, the Mets always seem to be 2 steps behind.

 

And as to your first point, I was speaking for what has been the trend since the 2006 NLCS. The Mets obviously overachieved in 2015. But instead of adding to the team, by keeping Murphy (I understand no one knew if he would be able to repeat the performance) the front office tries to sell us on Dilson Herrera who ends up getting traded for Jay Bruce. At this point, the mets pitching health is well documented, but they didn't bring in a back end rotation guy just to eat innings. Bartolo ended up being out best pitcher that year for crying out loud.

 

2015 should have shown the whole world that Familia should not be a closer for the Mets. He blew, what? 3-4 saves? He was shaky in almost every situation he was brought into during the post-season. We should have moved him when we had the chance before the injury. 

 

I can go on and on. The Mets front office is inept and that is putting it nicely. They don't make the moves they need to when they need to. Only Cespedes happened to work out (at the time).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, papasmurf said:

True they got him for Dickey. I was thinking they got D'Arnaud. Blanked on Thor.

 

Anyone else? I mean I can remember Alex Ochoa, Jeff Kent, Ryan Thompson from the 90s when I was a huge Mess fan. Kent doesn't count cuz he only got good after he left NY.

Cone, HoJo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Can someone tell me when's the last time the Mets got a prospect in return that panned out?

 

Lee Mazzilli for two prospects -  Ron Darling and Walt Terrell in 1982 was a pretty great trade

It was great in itself, but even more so when you add in Terrell being traded two years later for HoJo.

 

I am reading that the Mets sent a scout to watch Justus Sheffield's start.

Sheffield looks good but walks a ton of batters and he's small --> unlikely to be a top pitcher in the majors.

 

I also dont like Andujar.  He is a lousy fielder and he doesnt walk. 

The Yankees would be smart to trade him while the hype is on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tesla said:

 

Sheffield looks good but walks a ton of batters and he's small --> unlikely to be a top pitcher in the majors.

 

I also dont like Andujar.  He is a lousy fielder and he doesnt walk. 

The Yankees would be smart to trade him while the hype is on.

I don't think that's really fair to say Sheffield is listed at 6 ft there have been quite a few very good pitchers that height. I mean hell Severino is listed at 6'2" but he looks shorter than that to me. And Andujar isnt that bad of a fielder - he's far from a butcher at 3rd. He's got a very, very good arm too. I hear ya with the walk rate thats the one thing that will hold him back in the short term but he's young and he can certainly develop a more selective approach at the plate eventually. His ability to put the bat on the ball 17%K rate is exceptional and he's got good power if he gets the walks up he could be a big hitter for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Just wanted to remind everyone -- because the tone in this thread is getting nasty -- this franchise made the World Series in 2015.

And the wild card in 2016 despite being once again ravaged by injuries. It’s going to come down to their young players panning out. Rosario and Conforto need to be good. Rosario is only 22 and has tools. Conforto is coming off of a major fluke injury. Maybe that ended his career or maybe it’s just going to take time we don’t know yet. Nimmo looks pretty solid not sure what his ceiling is but I think he’s at least a strong side of a platoon with great on base skills with some pop and speed. Cespedes and Bruce are both albatross contracts so they’ll be here whether they’re productive or not. Not many teams right now can boast a healthy top 4 in a rotation that rivals the Mets. If they can figure out how to build a bullpen with a new general manager they’re at least competitive if their young players realize some of their potential. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Just wanted to remind everyone -- because the tone in this thread is getting nasty -- this franchise made the World Series in 2015.

 

That window has closed. 

 

Atlanta and Philly, both bad in 2015 have rebuilt correctly and are on the upswing. The NL East is their's the next few years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Just wanted to remind everyone -- because the tone in this thread is getting nasty -- this franchise made the World Series in 2015.

 

Yesterday's newspaper.  You got to buy the current ones like the Braves and Phillies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Just wanted to remind everyone -- because the tone in this thread is getting nasty -- this franchise made the World Series in 2015.

 

And then let their postseason MVP sign with their division rivals...

 

How many postseason wins since 2015?

How many good FA signings since 2015?

How many good young hitters have they developed since 2015?

 

It took injuries to several OF for Brandon Nimmo to get more playing time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

The Mets are one of the worst franchises in professional sports.

 

FTFY

 

*is a long suffering Met fan since 1988*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 5:51 AM, Sine_cera said:

 

And then let their postseason MVP sign with their division rivals...

 

How many postseason wins since 2015?

How many good FA signings since 2015?

How many good young hitters have they developed since 2015?

 

It took injuries to several OF for Brandon Nimmo to get more playing time.

That’s a point you can’t ignore. They lucked into Nimmo, a guy they drafted in 2011 in the first round. Blocked him intentionally with a 3 year 40 million dollar Bruce contract. Personally, I think they’re too passive with their prospects. I hate how they’ve built their team too. Slow and unathletic, on a team who prides itself on its starting pitching. It doesn’t make any sense. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 1:29 PM, andy1234 said:

 

Don't get me wrong. As much as I love the guy, deGrom needs to be traded. He'll be 30 by the time he's a free agent, I don't see the Mets turning it around by then, and we won't resign him. But just like that, the Mets cannot trade him for 10 cents on the dollar. An elite pitcher, arguably the best pitcher in the NL this year, who has 2 more years of control demands a HUGE package. It will never happen, but if he were to be traded to the Yankees, it is perfectly fair for the Mets to demand Torres in the deal. However, the Yankees know he is untradable. Thus, it would have to be a package of Andujar, Frazier, Sheffield/Adams, and Florial. Something like that. 

 

However, what boggles my mind is how the Mets do not do the common sense thing ever. Sign some of these veteran guys to 1 year deals (forget how much money you would have to pay) and flip them at the deadline. We've seen ridiculous packages for rental pieces. Moose would have been the perfect one year rental. If you compete, he's a great bat to have in the line-up. If you fall out, you can flip him for a good return. Same with SP and RP. But when the rest of baseball does it, the Mets always seem to be 2 steps behind.

 

And as to your first point, I was speaking for what has been the trend since the 2006 NLCS. The Mets obviously overachieved in 2015. But instead of adding to the team, by keeping Murphy (I understand no one knew if he would be able to repeat the performance) the front office tries to sell us on Dilson Herrera who ends up getting traded for Jay Bruce. At this point, the mets pitching health is well documented, but they didn't bring in a back end rotation guy just to eat innings. Bartolo ended up being out best pitcher that year for crying out loud.

 

2015 should have shown the whole world that Familia should not be a closer for the Mets. He blew, what? 3-4 saves? He was shaky in almost every situation he was brought into during the post-season. We should have moved him when we had the chance before the injury. 

 

I can go on and on. The Mets front office is inept and that is putting it nicely. They don't make the moves they need to when they need to. Only Cespedes happened to work out (at the time).

 

He is 30 now.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2018 at 12:55 PM, twelve20 said:

 

He is 30 now.

 

Good catch. I meant to say 32.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 9:32 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Just wanted to remind everyone -- because the tone in this thread is getting nasty -- this franchise made the World Series in 2015.

And got destroyed by a small market, but superior, team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 5:40 PM, duke of queens said:

Cone, HoJo.

That was before my time. I didn't know they were acquired via trade. Thanks for the info.

 

Didn't the Mess have a very good GM before the 90s? Was his name Cashin or something like that?  Seems to have gone downhill after that. Notice the good trades mostly dried up after that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

And got destroyed by a small market, but superior, team.

 

"Destroyed"?

 

Gtfo

 

The Mets had leads in the 8th or 9th inning in three games the bullpen blew all three games

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

And got destroyed by a small market, but superior, team.

 

The Mets swept the 97-win Cubs in the 2015 NLCS, btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the belief this team needs to be torn down.  They have the best pitching int he division and that is half the battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, B&F said:

I don't understand the belief this team needs to be torn down.  They have the best pitching int he division and that is half the battle.

thats debatable and def not true if you include bullpen

 

and it doesntmatter if your team loses 2-1 every other game

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 8:23 PM, Marty Funkhouser said:

Not many teams right now can boast a healthy top 4 in a rotation that rivals the Mets

Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.