duke of queens

New York Mets 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

How much they supposedly lost is not clear either. All I know is they are not fit to own a team in NY if they can't afford to be in the top 10 in payroll. 

They ranked 5th in opening day payroll in 2017 according to this.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/236206/payroll-of-major-league-baseball-teams/

2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

No one knows jack about the Mets -- or the Wilpons' -- current financial situation.

They know the Wilpons took a hit in the Madoff scandal. That's it. 

But you don't know if the Mets are making profit, breaking even, running at a loss etc. Futher, you don't know how the Mets and the Wilpons' finances are interwined.

It's all just mindless speculation.

We do know a New York team shouldn’t be losing money given they have their own TV network and broadcast rights.

The fact that they lost money on a risky investment with Madoff is on them and their greed in not asking or caring how Bernie was getting those unusually high returns.  And now the fans suffer for their risky investment choice because now they want to be prudent.

It seems to me the best way to make money is spend some money and put a great product out on the field.

Met fans are among the most fanatical in both leagues when the team has a chance

56 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

And factor in the 15 mil refund for Wright and that puts them at 16th. 

Who pays the 15m is not relevant to what a teams payroll is or isn't. 

14 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Who pays the 15m is not relevant to what a teams payroll is or isn't. 

It sure is relevant. And there is no question who pays is it. The question is why isnt it being reinvested in the team.

Is it relevant to what the payroll is on opening day? In another words, IF Wright had opening  day salary of 30m in 2017 and insurance pays 15m of it for 2017 does that reduce his 2018 salary to 15m? If they took that 15m insurance payment and spent it on more players, which they partially did by signing a RP,  does the 15m come off total opening day payroll or do they get charged the full amount of Wright's contract for 2018?

On 12/29/2017 at 12:10 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

No one knows jack about the Mets -- or the Wilpons' -- current financial situation.

They know the Wilpons took a hit in the Madoff scandal. That's it. 

But you don't know if the Mets are making profit, breaking even, running at a loss etc. Futher, you don't know how the Mets and the Wilpons' finances are interwined.

It's all just mindless speculation.

They either took a huge hit, which should trigger them selling the team, or they are doing fine, in which they should spend like a big market team. Either way, they are doing something wrong operating a team in New York like it is just your average baseball team. We might not be sure which it is but there's enough to blame on the owners either way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

They either took a huge hit, which should trigger them selling the team, or they are doing fine, in which they should spend like a big market team. Either way, they are doing something wrong operating a team in New York like it is just your average baseball team. We might not be sure which it is but there's enough to blame on the owners either way.

I probably should have done some perfunctory research before I posted. A lot of financial details were made public -- more than I thought -- about the Wilpons, Madoff and the Mets,

21 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Is it relevant to what the payroll is on opening day? In another words, IF Wright had opening  day salary of 30m in 2017 and insurance pays 15m of it for 2017 does that reduce his 2018 salary to 15m? If they took that 15m insurance payment and spent it on more players, which they partially did by signing a RP,  does the 15m come off total opening day payroll or do they get charged the full amount of Wright's contract for 2018?

Wright's full season salary goes towards the team's payroll for that season. Once he misses 60 games for the season then the insurance company will reimburse the Mets 75% of his salary for each game missed that season. 

Mets ownership goes into the season knowing that they have to pay his salary for the first two months of the season before they get anything back from the insurance companies.

Mets fans, myself included, wants them to spend that insurance money upfront. 

Mets ownership will not do that!

As far as I'm concerned the Mets ownership looks at third base as filled. They see about 25-28 million devoted to the position regardless of whether Wright, Reyes, Cabrera or a corpse are playing there. These guys need to sell the team. They were hit hard during the great recession due to the fact that they were caught up in the Madoff scheme. Their main business was in real estate holdings. That took a big hit as well at the time. We the fans have continued to pay the price ever since. I'm tired of it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Wright's full season salary goes towards the team's payroll for that season. Once he misses 60 games for the season then the insurance company will reimburse the Mets 75% of his salary for each game missed that season. 

Mets ownership goes into the season knowing that they have to pay his salary for the first two months of the season before they get anything back from the insurance companies.

Mets fans, myself included, wants them to spend that insurance money upfront. 

Mets ownership will not do that!

As far as I'm concerned the Mets ownership looks at third base as filled. They see about 25-28 million devoted to the position regardless of whether Wright, Reyes, Cabrera or a corpse are playing there. These guys need to sell the team. They were hit hard during the great recession due to the fact that they were caught up in the Madoff scheme. Their main business was in real estate holdings. That took a big hit as well at the time. We the fans have continued to pay the price ever since. I'm tired of it!

Exactly. And they have recouped 45 mil from Wrights insurance. They also dumped a lot of payroll at the end of the season when they could have gotten better prospects by eating some of those contracts. They, being cheap, took back lower level prospects, in return having the other team take on most if not all the salary. 

And they're bringing back Bruce. I like the guy... but 3 years and 39 mil... why not just pony up for Moustakas? 

Anyway, looks like no one from management watched the games last season. Defense is going to be terrible again in 2018!

Excellent point about the Madhoff scheme hitting ownership hard. It took them from a big market player to the Tampa Bay Rays. I like the signing and I don’t. I don’t think he makes much sense for them financially or where they are as far as competing goes but he does address a needed lineup thumper issue and can play 1B for them, though not gold glove caliber. 

If Conforto can't start the year or even recover to play you have an outfielder. I think he will be starting at first base most nights if Conforto is healthy. Dominic Smith is fat and he couldn't hit .200 I don't have any faith in him right now. Doesn't hit for power either currently. I want Jarrod Dyson that's a perfect platoon with Lagares in Center. Cheap too considering.

Mets are a perfect combination of having no real young, tangible talent in the pipeline to speak of because of poor draft results and also no money to spend for upper echelon free agents. You need to at least have one of those to be relevant. This will be a bad baseball team even with a healthy deGrom and Synderaard.

good signing in Bruce - very reasonable contract....Bruce Conforto and Cespedes should give them enough pop to be competitive....maybe they add Frazier.....if the pitching can stay healthy/come together they could be a dark horse.  

Mets higher ups allegedly killed a Kipnis deal the teams had worked out because they didn't feel he's good value. 

I'm a little worried that the Bruce signing indicates that the Mets are not very confident in Conforto returning from his injury. Or maybe its more of an indictment on what the they think of Dom Smith? 

On ‎11‎-‎1‎-‎2018 at 8:10 PM, DidiFan said:

I'm a little worried that the Bruce signing indicates that the Mets are not very confident in Conforto returning from his injury. Or maybe its more of an indictment on what the they think of Dom Smith? 

They signed Adrian Gonzalez who might even start the season as their 1B....

7 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

They signed Adrian Gonzalez who might even start the season as their 1B....

Yeah I saw that signing too and at first assumed that Gonzo would be a bench guy for them but apparently he is the favorite open the season as the starting 1B. I assumed with Smith being one of the better prospects that the Mets have they would have given him an opportunity to start the year off. I'm a little surprised but maybe I shouldn't be considering how much he struggled last year with the big club. But man its tough to get excited about Gonzo at this point in his career- he's Palmeiro without the upside.