• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
duke of queens

New York Mets 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 minute ago, DidiFan said:

Yeah I saw that signing too and at first assumed that Gonzo would be a bench guy for them but apparently he is the favorite open the season as the starting 1B. I assumed with Smith being one of the better prospects that the Mets have they would have given him an opportunity to start the year off. I'm a little surprised but maybe I shouldn't be considering how much he struggled last year with the big club. But man its tough to get excited about Gonzo at this point in his career- he's Palmeiro without the upside. 

But Smith apparently has taken the Pablo Sandoval "Diet" Plan too much to heart and is pretty out of shape.  Anyone have a picture of Dom Smith these days btw?

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But Smith apparently has taken the Pablo Sandoval "Diet" Plan too much to heart and is pretty out of shape.  Anyone have a picture of Dom Smith these days btw?

I saw a little bit of Smith last year and have to admit I wasn't too enthused watching him - and I remember thinking "yikes" if this guy is indeed one of the best the Mets have on the farm the future isnt all that bright. But still I'm not going to condemn him yet its still way too early. I really hope he's not on the Panda diet because if the Nat geo documentary I saw like 12 years ago is any indication he's spent the past 3 months either - eating, sleeping or moving very, very slowly in search of more things to eat. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

I saw a little bit of Smith last year and have to admit I wasn't too enthused watching him - and I remember thinking "yikes" if this guy is indeed one of the best the Mets have on the farm the future isnt all that bright. But still I'm not going to condemn him yet its still way too early. I really hope he's not on the Panda diet because if the Nat geo documentary I saw like 12 years ago is any indication he's spent the past 3 months either - eating, sleeping or moving very, very slowly in search of more things to eat. 

Dom Smith is a guy that hit in the minors as a big man.  I wouldn't write him off just yet based on two months as a rookie. 

He clearly needs to take care of himself if he wants to be a good major leaguer for a long time.   Gonzalez's veteran presence should be a nice wake up call.

Gonzalez at the vets minimum should be motivated to compete for the 1B job knowing if he starts off hitting he might win the job or else risk getting cut.

His power is down but before last year he had eleven 90+ RBI seasons.  This is a good low risk move for a cheap team.

Edited by Brooklyn Dude

1 minute ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Dom Smith is a guy that hit in the minors as a big man.  I wouldn't write him off just yet based on two months as a rookie. 

He clearly needs to take care of himself if he wants to be a good major leaguer for a long time.   Gonzalez's veteran presence should be a nice wake up call.

Gonzalez at the vets minimum should be motivated to compete for the 1B job knowing if he starts off hitting he might win the job or else risk getting cut.

His power is down but before last year he had four 90+ RBI seasons.  This is a good low risk move for a cheap team.

I'm definitely not writing him off yet- like I said its certainly way too early. I hope he does well. I have to admit I just was a little surprised that he wouldn't start off the year as the favorite to start at 1b. I totally get what you're saying about Gonzo its certainly a cost effective move I just feel like there is so little upside with him at this point that I'd rather just let Dom Smith start the year off fresh let him learn in the bigs take his lumps so to speak and get some good experience. This reminds of when the Mets brought in Loney a couple years back its a very cost effective move but it also comes with very little upside. 

1 minute ago, DidiFan said:

I'm definitely not writing him off yet- like I said its certainly way too early. I hope he does well. I have to admit I just was a little surprised that he wouldn't start off the year as the favorite to start at 1b. I totally get what you're saying about Gonzo its certainly a cost effective move I just feel like there is so little upside with him at this point that I'd rather just let Dom Smith start the year off fresh let him learn in the bigs take his lumps so to speak and get some good experience. This reminds of when the Mets brought in Loney a couple years back its a very cost effective move but it also comes with very little upside. 

Adrian will be 36 and coming off his first terrible season.  He's a good glove, good veteran who isn't an All Star anymore but probably still has something left.

Maybe Dom comes out ready to compete because of Adrian Gonzalez.   He may need more time in the minors if he isn't ready. 

They got Loney  to replace Duda when he got hurt and he played really well.  That was the year they had a slew of injuries and went to the Wildcard game.

That worked out pretty good I thought.

26 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

His power is down but before last year he had eleven 90+ RBI seasons.  This is a good low risk move for a cheap team.

A-Gon is also a really good teacher.  He is almost a player-coach.  David Ortiz said he learned more about hitting from A-Goon when he was in Boston than he can ever say.  Since it is only costing the Mets a half million to roster him he might earn his keep from that aspect alone.

• Like 1

I like the A Gon signing. I don't think he's going to hit for power anymore but he should be a decent bat. The real reason I like it though is because of his glove. Even at 36 and him losing a step, he's going to be their best defensive player. 

As for Dom Smith, word is the Mets were not happy with his development last season. As a matter of fact they weren't happy with the development of anyone at AAA last year. No surprise there though. They got rid of Backman and went the cheap route like they always do. So of course development would suffer. 

Alderson claims today that they have more money to spend. Their payroll this season, as of today, would sit at around 140 mil. That includes 20 mil for wright. I would like for them to trade for Harrison and sign Lucroy. Or just sign Moustakas and Lucroy. But I know I'm being delusional there. 

Oh one more thing... Reed was signed for 2 years and 17 mil. Why didn't they bring him back? He's proved he can pitch in NY and they need another reliever! I just don't get how they 're building this team. It's as if they're just doing barely enough to shut the fans up. 

1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

I like the A Gon signing. I don't think he's going to hit for power anymore but he should be a decent bat. The real reason I like it though is because of his glove. Even at 36 and him losing a step, he's going to be their best defensive player. 

No he won't. His defence has been garbage for like his entire career.

Just a standard, opportunistic move by the Mets. Cheap as dirt so what's to lose. Sandy said today they want to sign a second baseman rather than trade for one. Apparently they don't want to part with Nimmo in a trade for Harrison. I'd take Eduardo Nunez in a second to be a leadoff hitter and just deal with the glove but he's going to cost some dough so I highly doubt it happens.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you your NY Mets GM:

Mets' general manager Sandy Alderson told reporters on Sunday that he believes Tim Tebow will play in the major leagues someday.

That, and not the publicity or merchandise sales, is the reason that Tebow is in big league camp this spring despite hitting just .226/.309/.347 with eight homers as a 30-year-old between Class-A Columbia and High-A St. Lucie. Alderson went on to say that after a year and a half of this experiment, that expecting him to make the big leagues was a "modest expectation". Aside from perhaps a cameo on a non-contending team in September, it still seems incredibly unlikely.

Feb 18 - 4:32 PM

Does "playing in the major leagues" include replacing the guy Jeter sacked in Miami who played their mascot, Billy the Marlin, for years? 

(Check out Marlins team thread to see Tebow's new gig maybe).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 2

On 12/22/2017 at 12:11 PM, jfazz23 said:

i think the opposite.  there is nothing worse than being a consistent 82 win team

they should trade degrom and Noah and get YUGE returns....be a competitor in 2019/2020

Couldn't agree more.

43 minutes ago, Maybe Next Year said:

Couldn't agree more.

Yeah its a tough spot for sure in regards to being that ho-hum 85 or so win team. There is a case for blowing it up but I think its more of a truly awful thing to be a middling team in the NBA more so than MLB especially with how the draft works and such But anyways with the Mets its tough because I feel like a path to the playoffs is very real - like whats been mentioned before they are in a very weak division other than Nats so there is a good amount of wins there. You have to remember the Mets are only one year removed from an 87 win playoff season in 2016. They are definitely in the mix for  a WC imo. And we've seen plenty of times - especially in baseball where teams that were more or less written off can go on those runs in the playoffs - so you can never take a potential playoff berth for granted. Also trading a Degrom or Thor to blow it up - you dont know how those pieces you get in return will pan out - there is a very real chance that by trading your known commodities you just end up pushing the team further into obscurity. 

28 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Yeah its a tough spot for sure in regards to being that ho-hum 85 or so win team. There is a case for blowing it up but I think its more of a truly awful thing to be a middling team in the NBA more so than MLB especially with how the draft works and such But anyways with the Mets its tough because I feel like a path to the playoffs is very real - like whats been mentioned before they are in a very weak division other than Nats so there is a good amount of wins there. You have to remember the Mets are only one year removed from an 87 win playoff season in 2016. They are definitely in the mix for  a WC imo. And we've seen plenty of times - especially in baseball where teams that were more or less written off can go on those runs in the playoffs - so you can never take a potential playoff berth for granted. Also trading a Degrom or Thor to blow it up - you dont know how those pieces you get in return will pan out - there is a very real chance that by trading your known commodities you just end up pushing the team further into obscurity. 

The Mets brought in Jay Bruce, Todd Frazier and Jason Vargas to support Cespedes, Conforto, Syndergaard and deGrom for a chance to compete this year. 

They are not going to blow it up now.   Maybe at the trade deadline,  they could either be buyers or sellers depending on how the season is going.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2017 at 1:11 PM, jfazz23 said:

i think the opposite.  there is nothing worse than being a consistent 82 win team

they should trade degrom and Noah and get YUGE returns....be a competitor in 2019/2020

the Mets have said their philosophy is to build a winning team around pitching.

the Mets manager was a former pitcher,  then a pitching coach, and was brought in to manage; to help the team, specifically the pitchers, reach their potential.

degrom is 29, and syndergaard is only 25.

why in the world would they trade these guys away, their top two SPs? they'd be cornerstones of nearly any franchise.

not only that, who could they possibly get in a trade that will help them in 2019??

it's a fantasy-world scenario; trading them makes no sense.

Mets were in the World Series in 2015. 

What has hurt them the most, pun intended, these past two years:

• Injuries to their Pitchers
  • Injuries to their Batters
  • Weak lineup.

If the Mets can figure out how stop getting injured, they just need a few consistent bats in the lineup to contend for playoffs.

My two cents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dakines said:

Hasn't worked out too well for Tampa Bay down the endless decades.

Did they make it through Day 1 of ST without a serious injury?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dakines said:

the Mets manager was a former pitcher,  then a pitching coach, and was brought in to manage; to help the team, specifically the pitchers, reach their potential.

degrom is 29, and syndergaard is only 25.

why in the world would they trade these guys away, their top two SPs? they'd be cornerstones of nearly any franchise.

not only that, who could they possibly get in a trade that will help them in 2019??

it's a fantasy-world scenario; trading them makes no sense.

Mets were in the World Series in 2015. 

What has hurt them the most, pun intended, these past two years:

• Injuries to their Pitchers
  • Injuries to their Batters
  • Weak lineup.

If the Mets can figure out how stop getting injured, they just need a few consistent bats in the lineup to contend for playoffs.

My two cents.

And if they don't, can we stop calling them unlucky?

1 hour ago, commissioner007 said:

yes unlucky

It's unlucky when the same players get injured again?

Staying healthy is a skill.  Unfortunately it is impossible to scout for.  So in the end it is luck.  

5 hours ago, yake said:

Staying healthy is a skill.  Unfortunately it is impossible to scout for.  So in the end it is luck.  

Unluck vs the Mets Medical Staff.  Nope, not unluck.

the Mets are in trouble at catcher. d'Arnaud is done and Plawecki has a broken hand.

why have the Mets been so set against trading Nimmo to the Marlins to get Realmuto? Nimmo can't crack the OF with Cespedes, Confonrto, Bruce locked in.

7 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

the Mets are in trouble at catcher. d'Arnaud is done and Plawecki has a broken hand.

why have the Mets been so set against trading Nimmo to the Marlins to get Realmuto? Nimmo can't crack the OF with Cespedes, Confonrto, Bruce locked in.

Nimmo  ain't getting you Realmuto

• Like 1