duke of queens

New York Mets 2018 Outlook

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Why do people think the Mets should be desperate to trade their best player? Please don't say that their farm is barren. It's barren because over the last few years they have promoted a lot of the guys who were at the upper levels. Their overall team management and FA signing have been terrible. Trading DeGrom for prospects won't change anything for the team record wise. It's just going to piss off fans like me who still go to the game, it's not something that the Wilpons will take a chance with. At least not this season. 

because they are still a 70 win team with their best player.

and if you are going to get 2 or 3 prospects for him it will be more valuable than having degrom win 9 games on a 75 win teams for the next 2 years.

his value is maximum right now.  I might even give up Andujar, Frazier and Justus Sheffield.  not sure that might be much.

hell maybe seattle or anaheim have a better offer but i doubt it.

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

So it's settled then, the Yanks don't need another starter, much less DeGrom. We can move on from this media (WFAN) created BS. :huh:

But imo, when the playoffs start they'll really wish that they had another option to go along with Severino. Who's pitching a game 2 right now? CC?

Tanaka unless you think his hamstring is going to knock him out for the rest of the season. Remember the guy who dominated last post season

2 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

because they are still a 70 win team with their best player.

and if you are going to get 2 or 3 prospects for him it will be more valuable than having degrom win 9 games on a 75 win teams for the next 2 years.

his value is maximum right now.  I might even give up Andujar, Frazier and Justus Sheffield.  not sure that might be much.

hell maybe seattle or anaheim have a better offer but i doubt it.

Well they're not going to do that trade. I doubt they do any trade this season involving DeGrom. And the myth that they're desperate is just that. a myth. Like I've said before, ownership is fine with the current business model. Only the fans aren't happy, and trading DeGrom to the Yanks for a package that doesn't include Torres won't make them happy either. 

1 minute ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Well they're not going to do that trade. I doubt they do any trade this season involving DeGrom. And the myth that they're desperate is just that. a myth. Like I've said before, ownership is fine with the current business model. Only the fans aren't happy, and trading DeGrom to the Yanks for a package that doesn't include Torres won't make them happy either. 

i mean andujar would be the best hitter on the mets right now lol

6 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Tanaka unless you think his hamstring is going to knock him out for the rest of the season. Remember the guy who dominated last post season

Gray has also been great his last few starts.  looking like 2015 cy young gray.  he just needs to pitch to Romine and let Sanchez DH that day

2 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

And based on what you've seen from him this season you think he's going to dominate again? 

I'm not a Yankee hater, as a matter of fact they are a very likeable and fun team to watch, however, they need one more starter and they may be getting desperate as well. It's not going to be DeGrom, I'm 99.999% sure of that so we might as well move this discussion to the Yankee outlook thread. I think they're going to end up with Hamels, or if the Rockies fall out of it maybe Jon Gray. 

Just now, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

And based on what you've seen from him this season you think he's going to dominate again? 

I'm not a Yankee hater, as a matter of fact they are a very likeable and fun team to watch, however, they need one more starter and they may be getting desperate as well. It's not going to be DeGrom, I'm 99.999% sure of that so we might as well move this discussion to the Yankee outlook thread. I think they're going to end up with Hamels, or if the Rockies fall out of it maybe Jon Gray. 

I'd rather have Happ than Hamels. Tanaka raises his game in big starts especially the post season. He should be fine to slot at number 2

17 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

It's the same staff

And they are pitching exactly how they pitched last year, got it.

5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

i mean andujar would be the best hitter on the mets right now lol

Thats not saying much.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Severino is pitching better than last year

Tanaka is pitching better than he was at this time last year

CC is pitching the same

Monty is hurt but wouldn't factor into the playoff rotation just like last year

Gray has been worse

I kinda think it's a bad time to trade deGrom anyway.

Baseball is very fickle.

Right now prospects are super hot. I reckon those assets are overheating.

A couple of years ago it was relievers.

A year before that defense was en vogue (eg, Jason Heyward).

A couple of decades ago on-base percentage was all the rage.

So you'd be trading deGrom for overvalued assets. Meh.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

12 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

well agree to disagree then

good luck in your fantasy leagues and enjoy the game tonight!

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1

They have arguably the worst farm system in baseball and little in the way of young position player talent to get excited about. Their best bet at becoming relevant again in the near future is trading deGrom. Don't think it's even debatable at this point.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The idea that the Mets would trade one of their top SPs and franchise players to the Yankees is on the face of it simply not understanding the reality of the world here in NY imo.  Would they trade one of them to some other team...maybe.  Would they trade them to someone like the Braves or the Nationals...highly unlikely.  Would they trade them to the Yankees..NEVER in a million years imo.  It would be a PR apocalypse for them lol.  Their fan base will go nuts, esp. if the Yanks win a pennant because of it.  The two teams could not agree in past years on trades for such notables as Neil Walker.  It just is not going to happen from the Met's side imo.

As to the Yankees side, I can't see them wanting to give up the farm for one of them or any other top SP.  More than likely, you will see a deal for mid level help like Hamels.  Maybe for someone like Cahill or Reynaldo Lopez if the A's\WSox are open to it.  No one is trading them a top SP without wanting to hold them up so I imagine they are just going to try do what they did last year, get enough starting pitching to get along and out club and out bullpen the opposition.  Whether that is successful in the playoffs is debatable of course, but even with another ace there is no guarantee they can beat Houston, Cleveland or Boston, so it makes little sense to sacrifice the entire farm system for one pitcher now.  My 2 cents.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

The idea that the Mets would trade one of their top SPs and franchise players to the Yankees is on the face of it simply not understanding the reality of the world here in NY imo.  Would they trade one of them to some other team...maybe.  Would they trade them to someone like the Braves or the Nationals...highly unlikely.  Would they trade them to the Yankees..NEVER in a million years imo.  It would be a PR apocalypse for them lol.  Their fan base will go nuts, esp. if the Yanks win a pennant because of it.  The two teams could not agree in past years on trades for such notables as Neil Walker.  It just is not going to happen from the Met's side imo.

As to the Yankees side, I can't see them wanting to give up the farm for one of them or any other top SP.  More than likely, you will see a deal for mid level help like Hamels.  Maybe for someone like Cahill or Reynaldo Lopez if the A's\WSox are open to it.  No one is trading them a top SP without wanting to hold them up so I imagine they are just going to try do what they did last year, get enough starting pitching to get along and out club and out bullpen the opposition.  Whether that is successful in the playoffs is debatable of course, but even with another ace there is no guarantee they can beat Houston, Cleveland or Boston, so it makes little sense to sacrifice the entire farm system for one pitcher now.  My 2 cents.

Hey if cubs and Sox can deal (Q-Eloy) then the Yanks and Mets can too. The Yankees do need another arm, but doing it right now is not necessary. 

7 minutes ago, absknicks said:

They have arguably the worst farm system in baseball and little in the way of young position player talent to get excited about. Their best bet at becoming relevant again in the near future is trading deGrom. Don't think it's even debatable at this point.

Let’s say Colorado sticks around in the playoff hunt near the trade deadline. How about DeGrom for Rodgers, Hampson, and a 3rd prospect? 

Just now, 2ndCitySox said:

Hey if cubs and Sox can deal (Q-Eloy) then the Yanks and Mets can too. The Yankees do need another arm, but doing it right now is not necessary. 

Cubs WSox is nothing close to the hatred between Yanks and Mets.  And they are not in the media capital of NY, where for sports, baseball is king and so are the Yankees.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, secretagentman said:

Cubs WSox is nothing close to the hatred between Yanks and Mets.  And they are not in the media capital of NY, where for sports, baseball is king and so are the Yankees.

Oh sorry I forgot: New York 

But really, Mets fans know who their daddy is in that city. Cubs and Sox have had a similar lack of success over their long histories.  I think that makes a difference.

At any rate the Mets will have plenty of suitors if they want to trade degrom, and would definitely charge a premium to the Yanks 

Edited by 2ndCitySox

3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

But really, Mets fans know who their daddy is in that city. Cubs and Sox have had a similar lack of success over their long histories.  I think that makes a difference.

At any rate the Mets will have plenty of suitors if they want to trade degrom, and would definitely charge a premium to the Yanks 

i agree with you, but yanks might be able to put the best package together

its just bad business by the mets to be so childish

4 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Cash ain't paying no premium. Just like he didn't last year's ridiculous Pirates wanting Andujar and Sheff plus for Cole

I think the Yankees fear a deGrom deal more than the Mets.

With deGrom deal you know what you are getting: 2.5 years of control and an elite arm but no surplus value.

With the prospects the Yankees would be sending to the Mets who knows: the players could end up being the bedrock for decades of success.

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

i agree with you, but yanks might be able to put the best package together

its just bad business by the mets to be so childish

If the Mets decided to trade deGrom, they will have plenty of suitors, so it is not like they cannot get good value for him elsewhere. 

As for bad business not being willing to deal to the Yanks, that is simply not necessarily the case.  They need to go through a rebuild which means a few  years of bad teams.  Trading someone like Degrom to the Yankees will likely piss off their fans to such an extent it might cause attendance to fall even lower than could be expected if they traded him to some other team.  They are in business to make money and having no one show up at the games is not good business.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, secretagentman said:

If the Mets decided to trade deGrom, they will have plenty of suitors, so it is not like they cannot get good value for him elsewhere. 

As for bad business not being willing to deal to the Yanks, that is simply not necessarily the case.  They need to go through a rebuild which means a few  years of bad teams.  Trading someone like Degrom to the Yankees will likely piss off their fans to such an extent it might cause attendance to fall even lower than could be expected if they traded him to some other team.  They are in business to make money and having no one show up at the games is not good business.

good value isnt what they should be aiming for

maximum value is.

and if that team is the yankees so be it.

what brings people to the ballpark is winning. and if you can get 3 or 4 prospects then you should do it

Edited by jfazz23

On second thought the Mets FO is probably too dumb to deal with Yankees simply because they are the Yankees. I retract my prior comment. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Cash ain't paying no premium. Just like he didn't last year's ridiculous Pirates wanting Andujar and Sheff plus for Cole

Boy they sure would like Cole this year though. But yes at the time that was way too much.