duke of queens

New York Mets 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-05. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

13 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon.   

But they could get rid of Alderson and get a good young baseball guy who understands how to build a young sustainable team.

I thought Sandy got Bruce and Frazier for decent deals in the winter to complement Cespedes and Conforto. 

That plan looks pretty bad at the moment and now the talk is possibly trading off deGrom to acquire young assets for the future.

As long as ownership is nickel and diming management as well as sticking their noses into they day-to-day operations, it will be an uphill battle for any GM.  

Edited by CuredMeats

Back in 2015 my boss was so happy about the rotation the Mets had. I told him I was worried it's not sustainable because arm injuries are so common...

I wish the Mets could develop some homegrown hitting talent like they did with Wright and Reyes a decade ago. Then you could maybe get some rental arms via the FA market to get over the top. Homegrown pitching is great if they stay on the field, but they are more prone to injuries.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, papasmurf said:

I think degrom is under control thru 2020. Would better get some A list prospects. Better yet they shd not trade him.

You should first ask yourself....

image.jpeg.9b5c47951b726911157a5c32c7f408aa.jpeg

Translation: Would trading DeGrom and going through a full rebuild make the Wilpons more money than keeping him? It's pretty clear that is the driving factor behind every decision made by this organization.

Advice: Don't overreact when deGrom is in the midst of an epic run of luck -- he's not this good -- and the Mets offense are in a epic run of futility -- they're not this bad.

8 hours ago, meh2 said:

Translation: Would trading DeGrom and going through a full rebuild make the Wilpons more money than keeping him? It's pretty clear that is the driving factor behind every decision made by this organization.

Bingo! And that's why they won't trade him this season or even next season imo. It's all about hope! Conmen always sell hope. It's the easiest tool to use when conning people! They learned this from Madoff! :blink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Advice: Don't overreact when deGrom is in the midst of an epic run of luck -- he's not this good -- and the Mets offense are in a epic run of futility -- they're not this bad.

Yes deGrom IS that good and has been for a few years now where he has been but one tick behind "the big four." 

And with Kershaw this year showing his injuries aren't going away and he is human, deGrom is basically his replacement in the big for.  And doing it with no run support as usual like Chris Sale had to back when his sox were the color white.

4 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Completely normal .302 babip. Leads the majors in IFFB%, and is second respectively in the highest amount of soft contact allowed and the least amount of hard contact allowed. You have to just want to stir the pot because deGrom is at his peak right now. He was always a top 10 pitcher in baseball now he's better. Don't discount the fact that he doesn't have the mileage of a normal 29 year old starter either. Shortstop in college and had Tommy John. I think he's as good a bet right now to be effective into his mid 30's as any pitcher in baseball. Keep talking luck though. Watch game 1 of the NLDS on the road and really think about what you said.

• Like 2

deGrom has a bulldog mentality and I love how he bears down when there are runners on base. 

This is where he separates himself into an elite pitcher and gets those tough outs and limits damage with that extreme competitiveness.

I would overpay to pry him away for the postseason if I needed a starting pitcher and the Mets were stupid enough to make him available instead of building around him and locking him up during his prime years.  Have to stop overpaying older vets via FA and sign this stud.

7 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

This team needs a shake-up now

Sending the message and eating every cent of Cespedes deal would be a nice start.  Just cut this f***** heartless thief who has zero desire to actually earn his paycheck.  Problem with baseball is contracts are guaranteed so he can still collect every cent.  This teams a mess though, it’s going to get uglier before it gets better.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

This team needs a shake-up now

A shake-up isn't enough. They need a miracle.

At least Omar Minaya is back now.

I sure hope he gets better medical help then his players have gotten and wish him well.

Mets GM Sandy Alderson will take a health-related leave of absence due to a recurrence of cancer.

Alderson told reporters that the recurrence was found in April. While he's away from the team, John Ricco, J.P. Ricciardi and Omar Minaya will take over as decision-makers. He previously announced that he had cancer in the winter of 2015. Mets COO Fred Wilpon announced that Alderson will likely undergo surgery at some point this summer, and that he's currently undergoing treatment with a good prognosis.

Source: James Wagner on Twitter                                   Jun 26 - 4:22 PM

• Like 3

There's actually a delusional portion of the fanbase that thinks if they sign Machado/Harper and keep their "core" intact they'll be competitive next year.

1. Why on earth would Machado/Harper have any interest in signing with the Mets?

2. The Wilpons aren't shelling out for either of those guys, even if they did want to come 

3. Their position player core consists of Amed Rosario (been dreadful ever since he's been up at MLB), Michael Conforto and Brandon Nimmo. I like Nimmo and Conforto but if those are the two guys you're building your team around long-term, you're in trouble. And given they have one of the 2-3 worst farm systems in baseball, it's not like there's anything real exciting at the lower levels, either.

Edited by absknicks
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

Man, they’re so bad their beat writers can’t even write a proper sentence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Haha 1

Don't take a deGrom trade lightly.

It would be unprecedented to move him.

You trade him if you don't think you will be able to resign him and your control of him is not within your winning "window" (eg, two years of control + you're not going to be competitive in the next two years = trade)

You don't trade your best player because you fked up the farm system.

Again, that would be unprecedented.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

2 hours ago, absknicks said:

There's actually a delusional portion of the fanbase that thinks if they sign Machado/Harper and keep their "core" intact they'll be competitive next year.

1. Why on earth would Machado/Harper have any interest in signing with the Mets?

2. The Wilpons aren't shelling out for either of those guys, even if they did want to come 

3. Their position player core consists of Amed Rosario (been dreadful ever since he's been up at MLB), Michael Conforto and Brandon Nimmo. I like Nimmo and Conforto but if those are the two guys you're building your team around long-term, you're in trouble. And given they have one of the 2-3 worst farm systems in baseball, it's not like there's anything real exciting at the lower levels, either.

There is no one in their fanbase that thinks they can or will sign any of those players.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, duke of queens said:

There is no one in their fanbase that thinks they can or will sign any of those players.

There's plenty of them. Just turn on WFAN sometime. Or check Twitter. 

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

There's plenty of them. Just turn on WFAN sometime. Or check Twitter. 

I listen to the fan everyday. Saying they should sign them is a big difference thinking they can or will.