Carlos Rodon 2018 Outlook

3 hours ago, High&Inside said:

Hot trash is a little strong.

Career numbers

3.95 ERA

9.22 K/9

10.1 Swinging K %

28.7 Hard hit %

3.76 BB/9 is the only real ugly number. But it's all right as a Phillies fan I understand the bias created by hype vs reality on a prospect. There's a long list of Phillies hyped players that didn't realize.

Right in the pheels, man

• Like 1

Sit.  Unless, of course, you like when your ratios get blown to hell.  Start if you like that.

15 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with owning Carlos Rodon, I even have a share of Rodon. 

Should Carlos Rodon be owned in every league? 

If you need pitching, I don't see why not.  I think it's rare where a team is so stacked in their starting pitching that they really don't need to take a flier on a guy with upside. It would have to be a pretty small league if every team in it is all set for the long hall in pitching.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:44 PM, crazyfingers711 said:

Hate to break it to all of you but Rodon is hot trash. 

Signed, 

a White Sox fan 

i will gladly eat my words once he comes back and proves me wrong 

Eating.my.words.

Posted (edited)

Great job mixing in the high heat with the slider and change. Strong return vs an intimidating lineup even without Betts. His defense did him no favors

Edited by yanksfan17
  • Like 1

Probably still too early to feel confident in starting him, especially against the Tribe, but I'm leaning towards doing so. In all honesty, I may never have lots of confidence in starting Rodon, but I know the talent is there. A bright spot for tomorrow's game  against the Tribe -  61 innings pitched,  4 -1, 2.34 ERA

Posted (edited)

The Indians don't strike out against LHP, but they also don't draw many walks. They are 8th in wRC+, but I think Rodon will pitch well.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers

My instinct is to sit him but since I’ve done literally everything wrong this year, screw it. BTW, Fading me is the play. 

I've got him going in two leagues .

White Sox are playing well lately .

this kind've goes without saying, but I think it's likely his change-up hinges this performance. Indians are one of hte toughest match-up line-ups simply because their arguably two best hitters (Lindor / Ramirez) are both switch hitters. Then they have lefties like Brantley and Alonso and Righties like Encarnacion. But he probably won't be able to just ride a hard slider on this one.

That said, I think he's being very underrated. His Ownership% is constantly rising, but he definitely snuck up on some people, and you can tell there's plenty of leagues where there still hasn't been a single person saying "oh that guy."

Rodon has pretty nuts upside. I mean this guy was one of the highest drafted players and already has good velo/a nasty slider. But that's not the main reason he's criminally underrated-- it's more the fact that he's been a solid pitcher in the past. He hasn't been great, but he's put up lines that were ownable in standard mixed leagues. Bit better in Ks, bit worse in WHIP, but the point is, if your floor is okay and your ceiling is quite a bit better than that, you should be owned in far more leagues. 

I'd rank Rodon above a lot of the more fringy pitchers who are gaining in value. White Sox are gonna suck out some value, sure. But ultimately, Rodon's unlikely to do much worse than his career 3.95 ERA and 9.27 K/9. You'll suffer the WHIP, but realistically that just drops Rodon from being closer to an SP4 to being more of an SP6. But I still think those numbers (1.41 career WHIP) are startable, match-up depending (in division with Tigers, Royals, Twins), even in 10-12 Mixed. The upside is that the WHIP gets dropped to 1.21 and the ERA drops to 3.30 or even better. I don't foresee any kind of large drop in ERA-- if he moves forward I think it'd be more marginal personally, but again, very talented. Ceiling is evident. That's the point. 

Not starting v. Cleveland. Adding in way more shallow leagues than he's being added. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Two tough matchups to start the season for sure

Buy while ya still can

2 hours ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Two tough matchups to start the season for sure

Buy while ya still can

Two tough matchups and not terrible numbers. 3.60 ERA, 11 Ks in 10 IP. His first ER in today's game wouldn't have been an ER if you could call an error on a potential double play ball. If Moncada doesn't juggle the grounder, there's no way they don't still get Edwin on a 4-6-3 double play to end the 1st instead of a 4-3 Grondout. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, taobball said:

Two tough matchups and not terrible numbers. 3.60 ERA, 11 Ks in 10 IP. His first ER in today's game wouldn't have been an ER if you could call an error on a potential double play ball. If Moncada doesn't juggle the grounder, there's no way they don't still get Edwin on a 4-6-3 double play to end the 1st instead of a 4-3 Grondout. 

True, but man he did not look good. Did you watch the start? He got hit pretty hard and quite a few outs on the warning track. I do agree he has had some tough matchups and still had decent outcomes so far though. But nothing that’s screaming at me to buy into him. 

EDIT: Also, his first ER was a solo leadoff shot to Lindor. So I assume you mean the second ER?

Edited by tywalson

Gets Cleveland again his next time out... what a way to have to start your season coming off the DL: @BOS, CLE, @CLE. He's pitched admirably so far (on my bench) so I can't help but feel like he's going to get knocked around @CLE when I finally get the stones to throw him in my lineup.

I assume he's a sit here as well?

27 minutes ago, sharpee said:

Strickland destroyed my week last night so I might as well roll with this sure L. Maybe he will get me a few K's. But yeah, he's going to get his balls beat in. 

1 hour ago, sharpee said:

Yes, he is a sit for me in a regular 12 team mixed roto. Honestly I would not be surprised to see him twirl his best start of the season today, but against Cleveland on the lake and giving them a second look the risk is just too high unless you really need some innings. In a H2H I would probably roll with him today.

Schedule eases up through the ASB except for Houston. He will have his chance to show if he is really fantasy rotation worthy in his next few starts (Oak and Tex). Counting on him as more than an upside luxury fringe SP is dangerous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

This guy still blows.

Did you watch the game? Probably not. He looked good. Minus one bad inning.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Did you watch the game? Probably not. He looked good. Minus one bad inning.

That's how the game works. Doesn't do any good if you tank the second. Walk, HBP, walk, single, single. A lot of line outs. But no, i don't know how his stuff looked. He clearly still can't control it though.

at Boston

Cleveland

at Cleveland

8 earned runs total? So about 2 and a half runs per & 16 k's in 16.1 innings... Not too bad at all.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

at Boston

Cleveland

at Cleveland

8 earned runs total? So about 2 and a half runs per & 16 k's in 16.1 innings... Not too bad at all.

Well i'll put it this way - a 4.40 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP doesn't do my team any good. And a 9 K/9 ratio doesn't help when you only go 5.

16 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

Well i'll put it this way - a 4.40 ERA and a 1.24 WHIP doesn't do my team any good. And a 9 K/9 ratio doesn't help when you only go 5.

it's his first three starts of the season

• Like 1