Sign in to follow this  
osb_tensor

Carlos Rodon 2018 Outlook

I wouldn’t cut too early on the Rodon. Look at Bumgarner’s first few starts off the DL, with a much easier injury to come back from as well. For that matter look at any pitcher’s first few starts off an extended DL. Throw in the tough schedule he’s faced and there’s plenty of reasons to

hold Rodon, in all but the shallowest of leagues. 

Yeah I’m holding...he has been gone too long and thrown into the gauntlet. He will be fine once he settles 

• Like 1

You couldn't have had a much tougher first 3 assignments off the DL.  If you cut bait NOW, I think that is a mistake.  He held his own in those very tough matchups so far. 

• Like 4

Not even thinking about cutting bait. 

Maybe my perspective is off, but to me, he did exactly what I expected/reasonably wanted to see considering it was his first 3 games of the season, coming off DL and they were @BOS, CLE, @CLE.  He made it through and didn't get blown up.  That's all that should have been expected of him.  Now that he's made it through, I'm confident starting him against the non-powerhouses of the league.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2018 at 9:57 AM, taobball said:

To anyone discussing cutting--

For one, what exactly did you expect in some of the toughest match-ups the sport has to offer, but for two, who do you think is exactly available on your waiver wire that has the Floor and Ceiling of Carlos Rodon? No, the 4.15 and 4.04 ERAs in his 2016 and 2017 aren't great, but they are STILL mixed league relevant with his K/9. At worst, you get a back-end, high-K starter who has proven over the course of 2015-2017 to be at least a decent pitcher. At best, you get a guy who finds a way to take a step forward by the end of the season. 

Like if you're that turned off by these starts, do what you think is best. But realize that you're making a huge reaction to a 3-Game sample size for a pitcher who has now started a combined 66 games with a career 3.97 ERA and a career 9.21 K/9. Go find those career numbers on your wire

People here are too reactionary. Rodon's rehab stint + first three starts are harbingers of good things to come, and yet people are talking about dropping. Unless you're in an 8-team league, what ya thinkin'? That FB/slider combo is going to get you 9-10 K/9, and I imagine he'll be good for quite a few QS the rest of the way. No, he's not a 3 ERA guy, but those don't grow on trees the way they used to. 

• Like 1

Nice game today, took a flier on him as a streamer, think I’m holding for awhile, might be a decent 3 - 4 starter ROS.

• Like 1

His next two starts are against Texas and Houston, no thanks i will pass

7 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

His next two starts are against Texas and Houston, no thanks i will pass

Why sit vs Texas?

4 minutes ago, Wallscrapers said:

Why sit vs Texas?

They have a good offense and balls fly out of that park in the summer, unless you don't have any other options then go ahead but if it were me i would be cautious

TEXAS RANGERS CAREER STATISTICS VS. CARLOS RODON
BATTER AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS
Elvis Andrus 9 1 0 0 0 0 2 2 .111 .273 .111 .384
Adrian Beltre 6 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 .167 .286 .167 .452
Robinson Chirinos 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .000 .000 .000 .000
Shin-Soo Choo 4 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 .000 .333 .000 .333
Delino DeShields 9 2 1 0 0 0 1 3 .222 .300 .333 .633
Joey Gallo 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .000 .000 .000 .000
Nomar Mazara 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 .000 .000 .000 .000
Rougned Odor 8 4 1 0 0 1 0 1 .500 .500 .625 1.125
Carlos Perez 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 .333 .333 .333 .667
Totals 48 9 2 0 0 2 6 15 .188 .278 .229

There are the career numbers for Texas vs Rodon. They are league ave vs lefties this year. No way I'm sitting him.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

They have a good offense and balls fly out of that park in the summer, unless you don't have any other options then go ahead but if it were me i would be cautious

Wat?  Just looking at some very high-level stats: they are middle of the league in runs (13th), nearly last in AVG (28th), and have struck out more than any other team.  "Good offense" is a stretch, to put it lightly.  [edit] One more: to be fair, they do take their walks.

Now, Houston? Yep, I'm sitting him.

Edited by JJ1223
  • Like 1

You sit any almost any SP against Houston with a few exceptions.  I just acquired Rodon and will deploy him against most of his opponents.  The talent around him is not ideal but he's proven to be a pretty good pitcher in the past.  I think he'll only improve with more MLB exposure. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/25/2018 at 1:17 PM, azeri98 said:

H was a sit for me today and in his next start vs Houston, hasn't really had an easy match-up yet, pretty ugly line tonight

Edited by azeri98
add

this guy sucks.  4th year, supposed all this potential, but he just gives up runs like nothing.   Horrible.

Ump called a ball when it should have been strike three to Odor. Would have been a better day if the ump helped out. I am still holding. 

He's 5 starts into a season where he'd had a long time on the shelf. Cut him some slack....

watched the game from the start today, looked sharp except for the 8th inning where he got pulled out of the game.

the velocity was there, his breaking balls looked filthy, looked like a solid #2 on a good team. not gonna call him an ace since even in this game he had some trouble with his command now and then, especially when he was behind or even on the count.

in a keeper, I say that he is one of the most intriguing pitching assets along with ERod, both guys seems to be just a few steps away from acquiring that 'fantasy ace' status.

Edited by jhsong916
  • Like 1