Sign in to follow this  
BlueJaysIn2030

Jonathan Villar 2018 Outlook

Villar started at 2B four out of the Brewers' last five ST games, when they are running out what most would expect to be closest to their Opening Day lineup. So take that for what it's worth, but I take it as we're going to see a majority of Villar at 2B to start the year. 

He did have a pretty good ST, so he may have won himself some extra play. We'll have to see if he can keep that majority share once the season starts. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think hes a relatively easy drop in 10-12 teamers.  Bottom of the order, and splitting time.  I highly doubt anyone would pick him up, keep an eye on him and you can get him again later on

Edited by freevick

Guess it depends on the league. I have him in a 12 team with CI and UT slots, and he'd be grabbed up immediately if I dropped him. 

He's only a year removed from being a top fantasy force, so if he can regain a portion of that he'll be a steal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Guess it depends on the league. I have him in a 12 team with CI and UT slots, and he'd be grabbed up immediately if I dropped him. 

He's only a year removed from being a top fantasy force, so if he can regain a portion of that he'll be a steal. 

Agreed. Didn’t he finish top 10 in 2016? As I’ve mentioned in the past, he’s one of few players with the ability to go 20hr/60sb, let alone from the middle infield. I know he has some issues at the plate and even some uncertainty on PT but his upside is tremendous. He has done better this spring and posted a decent K:BB rate and has been studying Votto’s approach to improve. At 26, he’s way too young to give up on. This is only his 3 full season. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

2nd game of the season and he’s sitting. Plus he got replaced in game 1...

Edited by freevick

5 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Easy drop 

Think so?

On ‎29‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 12:17 AM, handyandy86 said:

Villar started at 2B four out of the Brewers' last five ST games, when they are running out what most would expect to be closest to their Opening Day lineup. So take that for what it's worth, but I take it as we're going to see a majority of Villar at 2B to start the year. 

He did have a pretty good ST, so he may have won himself some extra play. We'll have to see if he can keep that majority share once the season starts. 

Sogard was injured and not able to play in their final spring training games.

• Thanks 1

Villar came in last night around the 6th and provided a big hit in his last at bat, knocking in a run and scoring later in the inning on their way to a come behind win in the 9th. Good to see him produce a bit early on after going 0-fer on opening day.

14 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Easy drop 

Maybe in shallow leagues with shallow benches, but in general I think you've gotta give him a little more time.  Most that drafted him drafted in hopes of a bounce back, even if that most likely means something between 2016 and 2017.  

4 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

Maybe in shallow leagues with shallow benches, but in general I think you've gotta give him a little more time.  Most that drafted him drafted in hopes of a bounce back, even if that most likely means something between 2016 and 2017.  

Yeah I get that. Silly post by me. 

I have to give him more time.

Otherwise it’s the likes of C. Hernandez, Walker, Solarte off the wire. 

Seems like we got some signs of life here. Spraying the ball around and stole second bag tonight. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Seems like we got some signs of life here. Spraying the ball around and stole second bag tonight. 

Yep. He’s looked a lot more like 2016 Villar with his approach and swing. It’s been good to see some early results which should lock him in a starting role for the time being. I can see .260 12hr 35sb from him this year with room for upside if his new approach continues to refine.

It would help if he cleaned up the errors.

• Like 2

He stole a base his last game out, hopefully he continues to see PT, because SB's are hard to find these days. 

Pinch hit for after he had 2 hits in the game and at .333 for the young season.

Posted (edited)

I haven't watched the Brewers play yet, is he mainly at 2B, or OF? And he had SS eligibility last year, what happened? I'm gonna pick him up and hope he's a successful reclamation project, like Carlos Gonzalez has been so far. I need SB as well, and Villar provides them. 

Edited by Akecheta

46 minutes ago, Akecheta said:

I haven't watched the Brewers play yet, is he mainly at 2B, or OF? And he had SS eligibility last year, what happened? I'm gonna pick him up and hope he's a successful reclamation project, like Carlos Gonzalez has been so far. I need SB as well, and Villar provides them. 

He's at 2B. 

• Like 1

Why was he takin out the game after going 2/3?

2 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

I've been sort of keeping tabs on him in case he starts swiping bags, and I've noticed this happen a few times; getting pulled in multi hit games. It's kind of baffling tbh.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

Because he was due for a couple for a couple errors.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, TTRA1N said:

It's a double switch. He was one of the last outs the inning prior, so it's a way to avoid the pitcher spot coming up. So some of it is timing. It's also the fact they like to take him out late in games for defensive purposes. In a close game and depending on how the line-up falls, this may happen a bunch.

Well.... Batting leadoff for the 1st time this year.

• Like 1