Sign in to follow this  
BlueJaysIn2030

Jonathan Villar 2018 Outlook

Brad Miller and Tyler Saladino are looking like fixtures in the middle of the Brewers lineup. I really just don't get it. Villar has much more offensive potential than both of them. Hard to start Villar in my deeper league now. 

7 minutes ago, Willsea33 said:

Brad Miller and Tyler Saladino are looking like fixtures in the middle of the Brewers lineup. I really just don't get it. Villar has much more offensive potential than both of them. Hard to start Villar in my deeper league now. 

Defense is important. I don't know how good those guys have been, but Villar has been awful. 

so villar was eligible to come off the DL on the 25th, and i've scoured twitter and the google machine and can't find a lick of information on what is going on with him.  yes, he is going to need to fight off saladino, miller and arcia for PT.  yes, I need steals badly.  yes, I'm in a deep league.    just trying to find out if he is going to be coming back anytime soon.  any brewers fans hear anything about his return?

Apparently going to BAL in the Schoop trade. I don't see why he wouldn't be given a shot to play full time... so, he should become useful again if only for the SB opps. Just seemed to fall out of favor in MIL...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MireLurker said:

Apparently going to BAL in the Schoop trade. I don't see why he wouldn't be given a shot to play full time... so, he should become useful again if only for the SB opps. Just seemed to fall out of favor in MIL...

Orioles fan here — he will play everyday.

• Like 1

This may be the big winner from Milwaukee’s PT squeeze. I thought it’d be Santana, but looks like Villar. 

• Like 1

not in tonight's lineup.  they played valera at 2b over him.  anyone hear anything if he's gonna get regular PT -  o's fans with any input?

2 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

not in tonight's lineup.  they played valera at 2b over him.  anyone hear anything if he's gonna get regular PT -  o's fans with any input?

Not an O fan, but he’s supposed to be activated off the DL tomorrow. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DaGreatest said:

Not an O fan, but he’s supposed to be activated off the DL tomorrow. 

ah gotcha thx had forgotten he was still on the DL

Edited by swingbatter

I like this move for him - I think he needs that job security to perform, might not be 2016 which was almost historic levels, but I think he can be  a guy with double digit HR and 40SB - the AL is also less batting order dependent for some of the Run or Runs driven in stats as the NL - when he was hitting like 7-8 really hurt because of the way the NL game is played

Do the O's let guys steal? 

13 minutes ago, Morat said:

Hard to say. No ones ever been on base.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Morat said:

They’ve had maybe the slowest team in baseball the past few years so it’s hard to tell. But Craig Gentry has 10 SB this year and Jace Peterson has 9 and both have less than 200 PA so that’s a decent sign.

Posted (edited)

Orioles have been historically one the most passive teams in terms of stealing bases. 

2018: 37-  25th (Craig Gentry-10)

2017: 32 - Dead Last

2016: 19-  Dead Last

2015: 44-  Dead Last (Machado-20)

2014: 44- Dead Last

2013: 79-  16th (Nate McLouth-30, Adam Jones- 14)

2012: 58- Dead Last (Adam Jones-16, Nate McLouth-12)

Now he's the probably the fastest guy to put on a Orioles Uni Since Brian Roberts/Nate McLouth. Mainly because they never try to acquire those type of guys. 

Though this is technically the worst situation in terms of promoting his SB abilities. Its still a good situation in terms of PT for him. So its an overall positive. Despite Orioles hating SB's. They never shut down guys with the big time base stealing ability either.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

2/5 1 run  no k's today (Leading off) in his new full timer
Hope to see more SB/R  (14/16 SB ) due to leading off and creating runs for the O's early in front Jones ...wish full thinking 

The club is particularly excited about his ability to disrupt a game on the base paths. He stole 62 bases for the Brewers in 2016 and will get every opportunity to flash that speed in an Orioles uniform.

Manager Buck Showalter was asked before the game whether Villar would have a green light.

“Is there a color greener than green?” he replied.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-have-another-jonathan-at-second-base-20180802-story.html 

• Like 6

Orioles haven't really had the personnel to run either. 

• Like 1

After going 3-5 last night, now 5-10 with a run and rbi in two games. And as has been said, batting lead off. 

Didn't Beckham get hot last year after being traded from Rays? Hoping for the same from Villar. 

Now the Orioles just have to stop falling behind by 8 runs every game so he can steal some bases.

12 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Now the Orioles just have to stop falling behind by 8 runs every game so he can steal some bases.

Easier said than done.

O's so bad I'd send villar running every time he gets on base. I mean what can go wrong? at worst teh O's will lose by 9 runs instead of 8. 

Batting  #3 today.  I really needed those SBs.  Oh well.