yort1919

Matt Chapman 2018 Outlook

K% down to 18.2%. Zips had him at 30.8% If he can maintain something close to this K rate I think he's in for a big year.

7 hours ago, fletch44 said:

K% down to 18.2%. Zips had him at 30.8% If he can maintain something close to this K rate I think he's in for a big year.

Especially paired with his 10+ BB%.... his upside could be peak Josh Donaldson (2015)... coincidentally a former A's 3rd Baseman.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5038&position=3B

On 4/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, sportsfreak2744 said:

I don't think that's why he pointed that out.  The "it's early" part seems to me like he's thinking of the other Matt, Matt Olson (a lefty).

Name a RHH that struggles against LHP?

Jose Iglesias struggles against both (2/35) on the year.

On 4/12/2018 at 2:09 PM, terminator10 said:

I dont know, but so far the breakout looks real. Can be anything like you said 70/30/80 but that seems more like a modest estimate. He could also be like 90/35/90 while batting .280 290 which is pretty ellite

It would be pretty shocking if he hit .280 or .290, considering his professional career best is .250 in high-A. It would be great for him to break out big, but I suspect his BA will end up in the .230-.250 range...just judging by the rest of his career. 

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

It would be pretty shocking if he hit .280 or .290, considering his professional career best is .250 in high-A. It would be great for him to break out big, but I suspect his BA will end up in the .230-.250 range...just judging by the rest of his career. 

I’d have to agree , because guys never get better. Especially at 24. 

4 minutes ago, aMediumPace said:

I’d have to agree , because guys never get better. Especially at 24. 

If you want to have a discussion, then let's. If you want to just be snarky and try to be clever, then I'll move on. 

Age 24 or not, you expect a player who has never hit above .250 in the minors to suddenly hit .280-.290 as a second-year Major Leaguer? I don't. Maybe he does in a year or two. Maybe he grows and becomes a .260 hitter this year, but I just don't see him hitting .280+ this season. If you do, then that's fine. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind that belief. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

If you want to have a discussion, then let's. If you want to just be snarky and try to be clever, then I'll move on. 

Age 24 or not, you expect a player who has never hit above .250 in the minors to suddenly hit .280-.290 as a second-year Major Leaguer? I don't. Maybe he does in a year or two. Maybe he grows and becomes a .260 hitter this year, but I just don't see him hitting .280+ this season. If you do, then that's fine. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind that belief. 

Your reasoning is totally right, I wouldn't expect more than 250 ave but I do think the power is real and A's are not a good team, but they can hit more than they are given credit of.

So hiw many other Chapman owners would like to thank Jake Lamb for getting hurt?

This guy just isn't striking out: 4Ks in last 10 games!

Makes me think he is not only a booming power threat, but not an AVG killer too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

This guy just isn't striking out: 4Ks in last 10 games!

Makes me think he is not only a booming power threat, but not an AVG killer too.

His at bats in Seattle series were impressive.  Constantly got in hitters counts and just unloaded on his pitch.  Box score doesn’t show it yesterday but had 2 just scorchers right at Heredia in LF.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2018 at 2:12 PM, Flyman75 said:

He's shown a huge growth already. So yeah he could for sure hit 280 this year. 

Yeah its only been 2 weeks but hes faced 3 of the 4 AL west teams he's going to see a lot more of and the Dodgers. Yeah i'll be curious how he handles the Red Sox and Astro's pitching staffs in the coming weeks..but most hitters make their living off crappy/mediocre pitching

Currently leads the league in WAR. Crazy.

3 walks and 0 k's tonight. He's seeing the ball extremely well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GriffeySwag said:

Currently leads the league in WAR. Crazy.

3 walks and 0 k's tonight. He's seeing the ball extremely well.

Not always about what they did in the minors.

• Thanks 1

Picked him up and played him this week, been a total turd.  Sounds about right, when you plug and play, the player always cools off.

21 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Picked him up and played him this week, been a total turd.  Sounds about right, when you plug and play, the player always cools off.

Yeah, thanks for ruining it for the rest of us!

• Haha 1

Man, he's kind of reverted back to last year's Chapman the past 2 weeks. 28.9 K% Also not hitting the ball as hard as he was. Was that a mirage?

He is who we thought he was, fellas. Imagine that!

One 3HR game is an outlier. A fluke. Not the second coming of Barry Bonds.

• Haha 1

It's a long season boys, young players are bound to go on cold streaks. It isn't even that bad of a cold streak, the over reactions in some of these threads is ridiculous.