Hollywood42

Danny Salazar 2018 Outlook

What do we see here? He has talent, but has run into some issues over the past year or two. Injuries have slowed things down. You also have to have some concerns if he'll start or work out of the bullpen. Could be a potential buy low candidate, or he could not worth be buying at all

I can see taking a middle round chance on him but he likely won't be there.  Where is he being drafted in early mocks?

Edited by B&F

5 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

He will either be great or terrible. A boon or a bust. A swan or an ugly duckling. Filet mignon or ground chuck.  A hero or a zero. An eagle and an albatross. A Patriot or a Brown. An Astro or a Marlin. He is Langunitas Little Sumpin or a Miller 64. A Master of Puppets or a St.Anger. He is transcendent abject beauty or a toe fungus. He is Mariano Rivera or John Rocker. He is bacon or soyrizo. A George Carlin or a Carrot Top. A Sagat or a Balrog. He is a Butterfinger or a Bit o Honey. Nirvana or Samsara. David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar. He is Abe Lincoln or Richard Nixon. He is good Sandoval or bad Sandoval. He is everything or nothing. He is a mid-round pick. 

Carrot Top is pretty awesome. 

6 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Carrot Top is pretty awesome. 

Damnit Fuzzy, this is neither the time nor place to discuss the merits of prop comedians! 

I wonder about this guy ever really putting it together. He's seems wild in the life choices dept. Teammates haven't liked him, made the news for the wrong reasons etc. Maybe I'm still reeling from the whole Addy Russell thing last year, but I'm starting to try to avoid "life idiots" when I can. 

I get that's he's young, lots of money, athletically arrogant etc... the usual narratives. I'm sure lots of great ball players are really complete morons, but Danny just strikes me as a unrealized potential kinda guy

• Like 1

He walks too many guys to be elite. If he can get his command back to 2015 and older range then he might realize some of that potential. Its the main thing holding him back at this point. Nothing more than a late round flyer at this point. There's also a pretty good chance he doesn't make the rotation. I think Kluber/Carrasco/Tomlin/Bauer is pretty much locked in, then Clevinger can easily beat out Salazar for the last spot.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:42 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

A bogey or an albatross. 

FTFY :D

I'll take a chance on him at the right price!

2 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

FTFY :D

I'll take a chance on him at the right price!

Thanks. That was bothering me and it was too late to edit!

Salazar is a fun gamble, but i would  only draft him if I had decent certainty in my starters.

• Like 1

He needs to seriously improve his drive to succeed and work ethic this year in the offseason regimen (should have already started weeks ago).  He's a guy that doesn't have respect of his teammates due to this.  

Probably best to check in on him in google news searches come late February to see if he has made any progress.  Otherwise I feel he will burn out once again well before the 200 inning threshold.  

On 12/20/2017 at 5:42 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

He will either be great or terrible. A boon or a bust. A swan or an ugly duckling. Filet mignon or ground chuck.  A hero or a zero. An eagle and an albatross. A Patriot or a Brown. An Astro or a Marlin. He is Langunitas Little Sumpin or a Miller 64. A Master of Puppets or a St.Anger. He is transcendent abject beauty or a toe fungus. He is Mariano Rivera or John Rocker. He is bacon or soyrizo. A George Carlin or a Carrot Top. A Sagat or a Balrog. He is a Butterfinger or a Bit o Honey. Nirvana or Samsara. David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar. He is Abe Lincoln or Richard Nixon. He is good Sandoval or bad Sandoval. He is everything or nothing. He is a mid-round pick. 

reposting because.... well let's face it, this comment is in the upper echelon 

also, check this out y'all:

d2308c1b3f708284bd12b4a7585496fb.png

Can you guess what that is? 

Here is the answer in white text: Danny Salazar's yearly FIP in his career. I know that doesn't tell the whole story... but if his ERA can creep toward those FIP's, combined with the insane strikeout numbers (12.7 in 2017!) and win opportunities on Cleveland, the breakout potential is substantial. 

On 1/17/2018 at 9:41 PM, RotoBird said:

reposting because.... well let's face it, this comment is in the upper echelon 

Here is the answer in white text: Danny Salazar's yearly FIP in his career. I know that doesn't tell the whole story... but if his ERA can creep toward those FIP's, combined with the insane strikeout numbers (12.7 in 2017!) and win opportunities on Cleveland, the breakout potential is substantial. 

Regarding the white text, in 15 and 16 he was pretty much in line with his FIP and had the K to go with it. Im hoping his elbow doesnt go all wonky like it did last year and he can give you about 165 innings with close to 200 k.

So now he is weeks behind and probably won't be ready for regular season.  Thinking about cutting bait on him in my dynasty league, I have him for 1 year $22 bucks left but no way he lives up to that.

On 1/17/2018 at 8:41 PM, RotoBird said:

This statistic has fulled me every year. He has the BEST strikeout potential of any pitcher in baseball. His swinging whiff % (Baseball Prospectus) is always the top 10 among SP. I always tell myself that his walks can be outdone by his stuff. The problem is his consistency. He doesn't spread out his issues. He will pitch 5 innings 3 hits 2 BB 8 Ks. He will enter the 6th walk 2 batters, hang two fastballs over the plate. And his line will suddenly be 5 innings 5 hits 4 BBs 8 Ks and 3ER. You will grown and say "He got me again". At this point I think it is a composure thing. Which means when he starts pitching bad, he implodes. It can be identified in stats, but don't let him fool you. He can do more damage to your weekly stat lines than good.

Pretty simple with this guy.  His change up is dynamite, one of best in league.  His slider is up and down.  But if he’s pitching behind in the count he’ll pipe a healthy amount of meat and get slaughtered.  Never really worth investing anything on him draft day because he’ll be rage dropped at some point in April when he drops a 6 BB 7 ER start.  Can’t seem to ever stay healthy either, and this news certainly is worth watching given last years woes.  

RotoWire News: Salazar is behind the rest of the Indians' pitchers due to an offseason onset of his previous right shoulder inflammation, Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports. (2/15/2018)Injury: Shoulder, Day-To-Day

Edited by Cmilne23

Guys like this are what makes fantasy fun. As long as you're not depending on him, and just expecting kid rotation numbers, should be a good ride. 250k 2.50era upside 

1 hour ago, dod959 said:

K rate and swinging strike rates are too gaudy. I must own. 

Sadist huh?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

IMO he's fine to own provided that you have a top 5 ace who can mop-up the occasional meltdown.  The Salazar I know and love can string together a few solid QS and then follow that up with a 1/3IP 7ER stinker.  

I love the K rate and swinging strike rate as well and he's very enticing. His fip (3.48) and xfip (3.21) were well below his era (4.28) last year so there is the possibility we see better numbers this year.

I think he would have some value in the later middle rounds. But, somebody will probably draft Salazar earlier than I will. I guess people are willing to reach for his K rate.

8 minutes ago, BCMarch10 said:

I think he would have some value in the later middle rounds. But, somebody will probably draft Salazar earlier than I will. I guess people are willing to reach for his K rate.

But one of these times he HAS to pan out

"Doctor, my knee hurts when I go like this."

"Well try not to go like that anymore."

Edited by the real donny baseball
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1