Hollywood42

Brad Peacock 2018 Outlook

28 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

I like having this guy on my roster because of his SP eligibility but the Astros just aren't using him. Will his innings increase or is he just wasting a roster spot? My league counts holds.

I dropped him in a similar league with 10 teams because he isn't getting the innings I expected him to this year. 

2 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

I dropped him in a similar league with 10 teams because he isn't getting the innings I expected him to this year. 

2 hours ago, DFWSooner said:

I like having this guy on my roster because of his SP eligibility but the Astros just aren't using him. Will his innings increase or is he just wasting a roster spot? My league counts holds.

I haven't been following Peacock too closely -- he's a set and forget guy for me (for now) -- but maybe the usage is because the Astros starting pitching is too good?

I mean if Cole, Verlander and I suppose to a lesser degree Morton McCullers, Keuchel can often get into the 7th inning that doesn't leave much opportunity for a guy like Peacock....

• Like 1

Nice ratios, but he's only pitched 17 innings this year. The SP/RP eligibility is nice, but with McHugh also in the bullpen, I'm not sure if he's worth holding. 

1 hour ago, InMyBagYo said:

Nice ratios, but he's only pitched 17 innings this year. The SP/RP eligibility is nice, but with McHugh also in the bullpen, I'm not sure if he's worth holding. 

I own him but I will def be holding. Houston have got a ton of innings out of their starters in the early going. Cole and Verlander, the 2 AL pitchers probably fighting for the CY Young currently, are both top 5 in IP averaging just under 7 per start. Kuechel is right behind them in the top 10 and McCullers is in the top 25. Morton rounds out the group in 48th BUT he has 1 less start than the majority of pitchers ahead of him in IP. Basically Houston is getting 6+ IP out of all of their starters so far this season. I know it's the best rotation in baseball hands down, but they may need to start limiting some of those innings and I expect verlander/cole/morton to all come back to earth a little (those ERAs are insane). Peacock should see more work as the season goes along and they know he is capable of multiple innings and pitching in high leverage situations. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, corey_rideout said:

I own him but I will def be holding. Houston have got a ton of innings out of their starters in the early going. Cole and Verlander, the 2 AL pitchers probably fighting for the CY Young currently, are both top 5 in IP averaging just under 7 per start. Kuechel is right behind them in the top 10 and McCullers is in the top 25. Morton rounds out the group in 48th BUT he has 1 less start than the majority of pitchers ahead of him in IP. Basically Houston is getting 6+ IP out of all of their starters so far this season. I know it's the best rotation in baseball hands down, but they may need to start limiting some of those innings and I expect verlander/cole/morton to all come back to earth a little (those ERAs are insane). Peacock should see more work as the season goes along and they know he is capable of multiple innings and pitching in high leverage situations. 

I added McHugh as well just to be safe. 

18 hours ago, InMyBagYo said:

17 innings is in line with a lot of other relievers. It's slightly behind but only by 1-2 innings. That can be made up in a hurry. 

• Like 1

What are the Astros doing with him?!? He's been lights out but they're only using him when there's like a 8 run differential. He could be so valuable as an SP/RP with Holds but I'm about to drop him for someone who actually gets chances.

4 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

What are the Astros doing with him?!? He's been lights out but they're only using him when there's like a 8 run differential. He could be so valuable as an SP/RP with Holds but I'm about to drop him for someone who actually gets chances.

Stros are using him as they feel they need to.  Pretty hard to argue with the depth and talent they have both in the rotation and in the pen not to mention the fact that they are playing lights out.  Sucks for 'fantasy' baseball, and I too wish he could have been an SP or valuable holds guy, but they are using him as they need him.  If a starter does go down, it's likely him or McHugh that fill the spot.  Until then, I don't see his role changing.

• Thanks 1

Is he a drop yet? This is not the same Peacock from last yr. different situation and role this year with McHugh stealing some innings and stats.

Dropped him in a 20 team points league and people swarmed all over him.  128th ranked RP in our format.  ...don't get it.  Guess he has some value still, but he's not really getting saves or holds.  

Coincidentally enough I just traded him, nearly had a heart attack when I saw this thread come up. Had some value in my points league as a starter if he would eventually becomes one, but doesn’t seem like thats close or he’s next in line. He’s a pretty good reliever tho If non save relievers have value.

Anyone been watching this guy lately? Considering adding him after I drafted and cut him. Is he throwing his best stuff again?

Be really nice to know what exactly the Stros are planning for the opening in the rotation?!

Peacock relieved McCullers and fired 2 scoreless to pick up the W, certainly not stretched out but he would make more sense than McHugh to pop back in the rotation. Josh James has been incredible all year, and was on the same turn in AAA, so he has to be a consideration. Armenteros looked to be the defacto #6 after a strong ST and also bears consideration I would think?

I scooped Peacock up just to speculate, as a RP/SP he has some intrigue in deeper formats.

3 minutes ago, pjoner said:

he taking a rotation spot with McCullers on the DL?

With Osuna to bolster their RP, you'd think Peacock might get the chance, imagine they go to him over a McHugh.

Numbers as a starter last year

21 GS

111.2 IP

135 K

3.22 ERA

1.22 WHIP

Pretty darn good.

• Like 1

well yeah, but Houston was been pretty silent on who replaces Lance

1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

well yeah, but Houston was been pretty silent on who replaces Lance

I’ve been tracking this situation since McCullers got injured and there still isn’t any clarity. With the way the Astros’ off days line up, conceivably they can roll with a four-man rotation for the next week and a half without any of their guys pitching on short rest. I’ve added Josh James everywhere because I love his strikeout upside, but any of their candidates could hold fantasy value.

• Like 1

Take it for what it is worth, but Peacock hasn't pitched since he came in for relief after the McCullers injury (2 innings). Meanwhile McHugh pitched yesterday 0.2 IP.  

5 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

Take it for what it is worth, but Peacock hasn't pitched since he came in for relief after the McCullers injury (2 innings). Meanwhile McHugh pitched yesterday 0.2 IP.  

Yeah Peacock was always the more realistic option over McHugh (as he's too important as a fireman)...but good catch

Maybe they bring up James (not sure of his 40 man status though) who is on schedule to piggyback Peacock as he stretches out?

Doesn't take much to get two guys out, especially with those days off coming up...No idea on this situation 

Have the Astros still not shown what way they are leaning on who will be the McCullers replacement?  Peacock would be such a dominant pickup this stage in the season if it were him.  

Who is the favorite at this point?

6 minutes ago, indycolts88 said:

Have the Astros still not shown what way they are leaning on who will be the McCullers replacement?  Peacock would be such a dominant pickup this stage in the season if it were him.  

Who is the favorite at this point?

I think the problem is that McCullers' timetable is still a bit up in the air, so perhaps stretching out Peacock or Mchugh might not seem as pragmatic if he will be returning soonish rather than later. I would think that for fantasy purposes, Peacock would be the favorite for sure followed by Whitley(super unlikely) then Mchugh then James.

I have a league in which the WW was dry for starters and I lost Ross and Maeda to the pen, so both Peacock and Mchugh were speculative adds in the interim, but it may not even be practical to hold either of them unless the Astros say something this week. It may just go to James.

• Like 1