Fuzzy_Slippers

Justin Verlander 2018 Outlook

Verly had a pretty good season in 2017. 

ERA - 3.36

IP - 204

K/9 - 9.57 

BB/9 - 3.15

HR/9 - 1.18

Those are some pretty good numbers. His BB/9 was higher than we are used to seeing from him, but it's passable.

Steamer's projections for 2018

ERA - 3.94

IP - 204

K/9 - 10.14

BB/9 - 2.94

HR/9 - 1.32

Basically, Steamer thinks he will strike out more batters, walk less batters, but give up more homers. I don't think he's a 3.94 ERA guy, he should finish with a 3.4 - 3.5 ERA.  For me, I would be fine having him as my SP1 in 12-team leagues. He seems to be going in the 4th or 5th rounds in most mocks, which is where he should go. 

If he gives me 200IP and over 200Ks, I'll take an ERA of 3.9, no problem. Especially considering I know he's better than that. Should be an interesting year for JV!

• Like 1

Maximizes his abilities and knowledge and he is such a tough competitor, buying again this season.

Was able to make adjustments after struggling at times last season and really came through for me at the end.  Should get enough run support and if it's early in the game I like my odds on getting a win. 

• Like 1

Interesting that Minute Maid park has come in at a pitcher's park for the past 3 seasons.  No idea why it's such a pitcher's park but 3-straight years it probably can't be a coincidence.

8 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Interesting that Minute Maid park has come in at a pitcher's park for the past 3 seasons.  No idea why it's such a pitcher's park but 3-straight years it probably can't be a coincidence.

I think it's the batter's eye. 

Just hoping the playoff run doesn't pump up his value heading into the draft season. Hoping to capitalize on the age risk, which to me is no problem. Hasn't lost much of his "stuff" at all and showed he's capable of adjusting mid season even if he struggles.

6 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Just hoping the playoff run doesn't pump up his value heading into the draft season. Hoping to capitalize on the age risk, which to me is no problem. Hasn't lost much of his "stuff" at all and showed he's capable of adjusting mid season even if he struggles.

I think the fact that he was a beast once he went to Houston will pump up his value, let alone the playoffs. I don’t think he’ll be cheap, but he’ll be a back end sp1 in most leagues (draft wise )

• Like 2

On 12/23/2017 at 1:36 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Verly had a pretty good season in 2017. 

ERA - 3.36

IP - 204

K/9 - 9.57 

BB/9 - 3.15

HR/9 - 1.18

Those are some pretty good numbers. His BB/9 was higher than we are used to seeing from him, but it's passable.

great numbers considering how bad he was early in the season.

10 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

great numbers considering how bad he was early in the season.

Definitely. If he can repeat those numbers, he is definitely an SP1. Plus, he should win 15 - 18 games. 

• Like 1

His age has to be a concern.  An aging pitcher's performance can drop precipitously.

My concern is there will be no discount. If he’s going 5th to 6th round or $15-$20 then he has little room for error. 

Pass

• Like 1