ChicksDigTheOPS

Randy Arozarena- OF STL

Randy Arozarena

22 year old from Cuba

explosive athlete, fast runner, electric bat speed... and he is passing the Eye Test with flying colors. 

I'm not sure where the hype is, but I predict it is soon to come. 

Randy's minors stats are solid, and he has been destroying the ball in the Mexican league (.931 OPS in 51 games). You can catch some highlights here.

It's tough to gauge how this Mexican league compares to the minors, but in the film I've seen, most of the pitchers seem fairly competent. They look more refined than pitchers in Cuba. 

Arozarena is really flashing upside for me... as the power seems to be coming along (not a shocker considering his athleticism and physique). With his body maturing and power increasing... combined with the 50 hit tool and 60 run grade... we could be looking at a real fantasy gem.  

I'm seeing a lot of Starling Marte in this guy... not those kind of wheels-- maybe if you swapped some speed for hit tool (I like Arozarena's hit tool slightly more than Marte's)

Can someone explain the lack of attention this guy is receiving? He looks like a future fantasy stud in footage... and I keep wondering "what's the catch?"

FWIW, I was turned on to him here, simply because I saw the photo of him and thought "damn... that guy looks like a ballplayer". Some highlight binges followed... and if nothing else, he is definitely someone to keep an eye on. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

On 2017-12-28 at 12:19 AM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Randy Arozarena

22 year old from Cuba

explosive athlete, fast runner, electric bat speed... and he is passing the Eye Test with flying colors. 

Randy's minors stats are solid, and he has been destroying the ball in the Mexican league (.931 OPS in 51 games). You can catch some highlights here.

It's tough to gauge how this Mexican league compares to the minors, but in the film I've seen, most of the pitchers seem fairly competent. They look more refined than pitchers in Cuba. 

Arozarena is really flashing upside for me... as the power seems to be coming along (not a shocker considering his athleticism and physique). With his body maturing and power increasing... combined with the 50 hit tool and 60 run grade... we could be looking at a real fantasy gem.  

I'm seeing a lot of Starling Marte in this guy... not those kind of wheels-- maybe if you swapped some speed for hit tool (I like Arozarena's hit tool slightly more than Marte's)

Can someone explain the lack of attention this guy is receiving? He looks like a future fantasy stud in footage... and I keep wondering "what's the catch?"

FWIW, I was turned on to him here, simply because I saw the photo of him and thought "damn... that guy looks like a ballplayer". Some highlight binges followed... and if nothing else, he is definitely someone to keep an eye on. 

Arozarena is a guy I think that's got some intriguing tools that with some refinement, could break out next year into a top 150- 200ish prospect. He was recently given a 40 FV by Fangraphs' Eric Longenhagen, with future 55 Hit/45 Raw Power/55 Speed. Using objective tool grades, that projects to a .270 AVG, with 12-15 HRs, and double-digit steals. That's a decent upside from a fantasy perspective, particularly in deep leagues, but not anything to get very excited about for shallower leagues. Looking at his batted ball numbers, I think his pull-heavy approach with the high groundball% will ultimately lead to Arozarena hitting into the shift often. He also needs to learn how to handle pitches on the outer half better as noted in this Longenhagen quote, "Double-A pitchers quickly learned that Arozarena likes to turn on everything he can and stayed away from him as a result. His power output was limited while he was with Springfield." Adjusting this year to that should be his goal, without sacrificing his ability to turn on things on the inner half. Not sure what to make of his plate discipline with a 4.4 BB% at A+ in 70 games and a 13.8 BB% at AA in 51 games. Reports suggest he's very aggressive at the plate so perhaps he will need to learn how to be more patient as he moves up organizational levels. Good news is that he has quality bat to ball skills, is an above average runner,  and there's perhaps some more power there (power growth when prospects reach the Majors seems real right now!). It's possible to squint and see a 18-20 HR/15 SB OFer with a .270ish batting average, but it will definitely take some more refinement and growth. He's a guy to monitor for sure!

Edited by garlando

On 12/27/2017 at 9:19 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

from prospects1500, dropped this morning:

6. Randy ArozarenaOF
2017 Highest Level: AA

I get this feeling that Arozarena might make this ranking look a tad bit silly in a few months. The Cuban signee demolished Mexican Winter Ball, slashing .292/.366/.558 and leading the league with 14 home runs. It’s worth noting the power surge, even in the friendly elevations his environment. Arozarena averaged about a .150 ISO this past year between two levels of minor-league ball. If he can unlock some hidden power to go with average speed that he utilizes well on the basepaths, we could be looking at yet another Cardinals outfielder with fantasy tools worth using. Keep a close eye on him. If the power is real, he’ll be worth owning.

is... is it starting to happen?

Edited by RotoBird

Had to dig deep to find this thread, but Jim Bowden just brought this guy up in article titled "11 minor leaguers who are ready to help their big-league teams now". It costs money to read, but you can go to his fangraphs page to see why he is talking about him. Brings a little bit of speed, power, and has a solid BB% and K%.

This is the first time I've heard of this guy, so I'm curious what other people think, particularly those who had him on their radar way back when.

56 minutes ago, Fantasy Dork said:

Had to dig deep to find this thread, but Jim Bowden just brought this guy up in article titled "11 minor leaguers who are ready to help their big-league teams now". It costs money to read, but you can go to his fangraphs page to see why he is talking about him. Brings a little bit of speed, power, and has a solid BB% and K%.

This is the first time I've heard of this guy, so I'm curious what other people think, particularly those who had him on their radar way back when.

Has been a 'guy' for a couple years now.  I see some Oscar Mercado fantasy appeal if things break right.  Just needs an opportunity to get regular ABs.

OP those double spaces are killing me 🤢
I like that Mercado comp, at least stat-wise. A lesser version of Mercado, if everything breaks perfectly. If he gets a call he can definitely contribute in NL-only leagues. 

From Stl Today 3 days ago, a quote from Manager Mike Shildt, "He’s done a lot of what he needs to do offensively,” said Shildt. “He’s got a really high OPS. Last time, I saw it it was a little over 1.000. Defensively, he’s capable. We’ve seen that. There’s nothing else he really needs to be able to prove. It’s a matter of justifying ... do we bring him up and have him come off the bench?" and he continues “We’ve got outfielders who have done a representative job for us. We don’t feel like there’s a huge call but we recognize, and not blindly, we have to score more runs and we have to look for solutions for that.”

Thought I read that Cards GM John Mozeliak has been impressive and bring a new element to the team as reported by Tom Ackerman at KMOX. He may be coming up soon. 

• Thanks 1