High&Inside

James Paxton 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

7 minutes ago, huskadeez said:

He acted like he got shot.

Ever been hit with a line drive?  It actually really hurts.

I’d imagine one start, so maybe around 12-14 days

22 minutes ago, huskadeez said:

With all the talk of exit velocity coming off hitter's bats on this site, just imagine getting on hit on your forearm by a baseball coming at you 90+mph.

Hitters get plunked with mid 90's rather frequently, and unless theres a fracture it almost never results in a DL stint.

COME ON CANADA!

6 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Gotta love it. Paxton put on the DL with a bruise. 

4 hours ago, cs3 said:

Hitters get plunked with mid 90's rather frequently, and unless theres a fracture it almost never results in a DL stint.

COME ON CANADA!

I'm by no means a Paxton injury apologist, but it was his pitching forearm. It's not just a typical bump or bruise like you guys are making it out to be. He'll be fine, but he's gonna need a little time off.

10 hours ago, Sun Tzu said:

Honestly, I'm okay with this. It'll probably be just the 10 days, and he may miss just one start. I'd rather they play it safe with him. 

Of course this happens...and he throws a nice 27/6 ERA/WHIP up for good measure.

Tito....get me a tissue.

10 hours ago, huskadeez said:

Ever been hit by a Major League line drive? I'm pretty sure every one of us would act like we've been shot. CSB...Just playing slowpitch softball, I've hit a line drive up the middle and broken a pitcher's arm...and I was just a 30-something rec league slowpitch player. How much harder is a baseball from a MLB hitter? I understand his arm isn't broken, but I bet that hurt like a mutha. 

I'm not trying to be a turd, and I apologize if I come across that way. Personally, I don't blame him one bit. And we all know he has a history of not being very mentally strong, so maybe the 10 days will be enough for him to get over the mental side of being hit on the mound. 

2 minutes ago, Damn Yankee said:

Of course this happens...and he throws a nice 27/6 ERA/WHIP up for good measure.

Tito....get me a tissue.

Eh...it was 1 ER and 2 baserunners in 1/3 of an inning. That isn't torching anybody's ratios. 

10 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Ever been hit with a line drive?  It actually really hurts.

I've been hit by a line drive in the chin while pitching. Ran over got the ball and made the out. Next inning got cleated while covering 1B and stayed in the game. I'm not tough either. It can hurt, but a DL stint? Pretty sure at this point Paxton is looking for any opportunity for that 10 day vacation. This is one of the most pathetic things I've heard of.

6 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

I've been hit by a line drive in the chin while pitching. Ran over got the ball and made the out. Next inning got cleated while covering 1B and stayed in the game. I'm not tough either. It can hurt, but a DL stint? Pretty sure at this point Paxton is looking for any opportunity for that 10 day vacation. This is one of the most pathetic things I've heard of.

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

His $5 million dollar throwing arm got hit by an MLB line drive.

Your $______ dollar chin got hit by a _____ line drive.

Spot the difference :) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, roscobangs said:

His $5 million dollar throwing arm got hit by an MLB line drive.

Your $______ dollar chin got hit by a _____ line drive.

Spot the difference :) 

That goes without saying....it just ain't as bad as you guys are trying to make it sound. And definitely not DL worthy.

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Ever been hit by a Major League line drive? I'm pretty sure every one of us would act like we've been shot. CSB...Just playing slowpitch softball, I've hit a line drive up the middle and broken a pitcher's arm...and I was just a 30-something rec league slowpitch player. How much harder is a baseball from a MLB hitter? I understand his arm isn't broken, but I bet that hurt like a mutha. 

I'm not trying to be a turd, and I apologize if I come across that way. Personally, I don't blame him one bit. And we all know he has a history of not being very mentally strong, so maybe the 10 days will be enough for him to get over the mental side of being hit on the mound. 

Yeah anybody that has ever banged their funny bone ( basically where he got hit) on their desk/ night stand knows how much that hurts.  Getting hit by a baseball traveling 90+ MPH is probably 100 times worse than that.   If he got hit in the a** cheek or meaty part of the leg it would be different

• Like 1

Hopefully between his last and upcoming DL stint, it will have given him some needed time off, in order to pitch well over the second half. Pitching more innings than ever before and not being so sharp lately, maybe the DL trip will help him a bit.

12 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Gotta love it. Paxton put on the DL with a bruise. 

It’s one start.   Relax

11 hours ago, BMcP said:

I’d imagine one start, so maybe around 12-14 days

That would be 2 starts.    I’d imagine 10 days, thus just one turn.  

1 hour ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

That goes without saying....it just ain't as bad as you guys are trying to make it sound. And definitely not DL worthy.

Sure it is DL worthy.  If he misses one start, that is 10 days, why not DL him and add a player?   It’s logical.  

They burned Felix last night so they basically have to DL him to bring up pen help.

So Paxton could be back for @ARI this next weekend (based on 10 days). I thought the word was that he’d miss “one start,” but just did some research looking for updates and everything said “At least one start, could be back in 10-12 days.” 

So pretty vague, but I’m assuming it’s safe to guess he’s not back this coming week? Anyone see any other updates?

Edited by Backdoor Slider