High&Inside

James Paxton 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

3 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Got hammered again today, i hope he is just working on stuff, 3IP 5 hits 1 walk 4 earned runs and 4 k's

Dude just chill. For crying out loud go look at his stats the last 2 years. His skill isn’t the question it’s just staying healthy for enough innings.

2 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Dude just chill. For crying out loud go look at his stats the last 2 years. His skill isn’t the question it’s just staying healthy for enough innings.

Agreed - which leads to the question: when he has a sh***y outing is he healthy. That is a coin-flip as has been established over time.

other than "poor spring" have there been any reports on his health? 

4 hours ago, midlip said:

other than "poor spring" have there been any reports on his health? 

I've been paying extra attention since I drafted him, and I haven't seen anything. Read that he hit 97-98 in his last start after lagging earlier in spring. I take it as just taking March to round into form. Always seems like just a matter of time, but I haven't seen any bad health news yet.

Not sharp today. I'm not going to freak out over his first start of the season, but I have a feeling this guy is going to be a bust this year.

6 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Not sharp today. I'm not going to freak out over his first start of the season, but I have a feeling this guy is going to be a bust this year.

Yeah I would have to see him go against a lesser team than CLE before passing judgement.  Same thing happened to Castillo today.

3 hours ago, jdbob11 said:

Yeah I would have to see him go against a lesser team than CLE before passing judgement.  Same thing happened to Castillo today.

agreed. even carrasco wasnt great today

anyone actually watch paxton? was his velocity down? missing location?

I saw some of the game and he was 95-96 on his fastballs. He was down and out of the zone quite a bit and Indians hitters weren't biting. Got behind in counts and hitters could just sit on the fastball. He looks healthy to me, just off. That's how he was all spring so fingers crossed for a quick turnaround.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

He got ripped a couple of times but he looked healthy today.

I’m not concerned yet.  We know he can dominate as long as he’s healthy.  I’ll give him a pass on this one.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

That is the most James Paxton thing I've ever seen.  The only thing more Paxon'y would be if he had twisted his ankle and had to miss 2 starts.

Also, isn't it like 38 degrees in Minnesota today?  Short sleeves is an aggressive move for James.  Maybe his next DL stint will be for pneumonia. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wow he was so chill with that.  I would've freaked out and smacked the thing.  They'd be crucifying me lol.

59 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Funny thing is always thought his pitching motion reminded me of an eagle with the unique way he spreads both his arms wide before delivering. Guess this was destiny :D 

• Like 2

Cruising but gets left in a little too long and now ends up with the ND

Just a bad decision by Servais to leave him after nearly 100 pitches in bitterly cold weather after having survived the Twins’ attempt to sic an eagle on him.  Excellent pitching today from him.

• Like 3

Low innings. Lots of Ks. Good ratios.

Now this is the K-Pax I know and love.

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Just a bad decision by Servais to leave him after nearly 100 pitches in bitterly cold weather after having survived the Twins’ attempt to sic an eagle on him.  Excellent pitching today from him.

David Phelps injury really hurt the Mariners.  He was suppose to be that guy who came in today.  Instead they may try to push starters a bit further so losers like Dan Altavilla who throw 0-2 hanging sliders to horrific backup catchers for homers don’t have to pitch.

• Like 1

I believe he was at 88 pitches when he started the 6th, but more importantly he was cruising through the 4th and 5th. It’s a shame because he was out in front 0-2 to both Mauer and Sano in that 6th. Just couldn’t finish em off. Solid performance nonetheless. I’m encouraged. 

Yeah I watched the whole game, he was cruising. Mauer's hit was lucky, Sano's bomb was arguably his only mistake. None of the hits were hard-hit  (besides the homer)