High&Inside

James Paxton 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

9 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

I just bought high. Needed a piece a this!

FABF16_1.png

• Like 4

Paxton worked his way out of 2nd inning trouble and is shutting HOU down at home..beautiful to watch. It seems like my staff is always pitching against BOS, NYY, or HOU so its nice to see him make quick work of a great offense. Of course the start isn't complete yet..

His breaking pitches aren't sharp tonight, but he's having no issues against an elite offense. 

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers

Kind of scratching my head why they would bring him out for the 8th right around 100 pitches up 7-1???

• Like 1

He had thrown 91 pitches through 7 innings with a 7-1 lead, so of course they send him back out for the 8th...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kornball said:

He had thrown 91 pitches through 7 innings with a 7-1 lead, so of course they send him back out for the 8th...

If he wasn't as sharp as usual (as mentioned above), then it would make more sense to me to pull him after 91 pitches through 7. 

That's alright, though. His ERA is down below 3.00 now, and he's topped 100 Ks for the season. 

Edited by Flyman75

Was seen talking to the trainer in between innings a couple times yesterday.  Sounds like it was just a cramp, they were able to massage it out and he pitched through it.

Just something to maybe keep an eye on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Was seen talking to the trainer in between innings a couple times yesterday.  Sounds like it was just a cramp, they were able to massage it out and he pitched through it.

I saw that too, concerned me a little. Kept pointing to his forearm and flexing it a little while talking to the trainer in the dugout. But then he finished strong for a couple more innings after that. Wouldn’t have been concerned really if it wasn’t Paxton.

44 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Yeah,  hate to bench him in my weekly H2H based on this info but i'm going to due to his history. Fortunately, it's not going to hurt much in my particular leagues. I hope it's nothing and comes through for those needng his start this week.

Mariners reported cramps in his forearm in 3rd and 4th inning.

He was  holding back a bit during those innings,  but said he finished feeling normal after that in 5th, 6th and 7th, throwing as usual.

Forearm pain is never good, but there is a chance he will be fine.

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Wouldn't be a James Paxton season without a trip to the DL. Hopefully he can avoid it this season, but it's become the norm for him. 

I think i'm also going to play it safe this week and sit. The match up against Boston also makes it a little easier to sit. I think they may be getting Betts back this weekend.

Edited by bigbluecrew56
  • Like 1

All of you guys are really pre-emptively benching him after he finished the game and pitched well? I know the match-up isn't the best this week, but he's been an absolute beast. I get the trepidation, but I'm going to need more than this to pull him from my weekly lineup. You have to think the Mariners would address the situation immediately if they were concerned considering his past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

All of you guys are really pre-emptively benching him after he finished the game and pitched well? I know the match-up isn't the best this week, but he's been an absolute beast. I get the trepidation, but I'm going to need more than this to pull him from my weekly lineup. You have to think the Mariners would address the situation immediately if they were concerned considering his past.

this

i wont be sitting him either.

He's got a 0.39 ERA in 23 innings against the Red Sox...Yeah, I'm not benching him this week...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

There really wasn't any "all of you guys"...I only saw two guys say they may sit him. 

Never bench your aces (except @Coors)

1 hour ago, elrey said:

Never bench your aces (except @Coors) except the first start off the DL.

ftfy

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

this

i wont be sitting him either.

Yea...Dylan Bundy just jobbed the Red Sox.  I'm OK with starting Paxton.

• Like 1

He’s kind of reached the AJ Pollock category for me.  The likelyhood of a DL stint is high but I enjoy watching/owning so much it’s just one of the risks you take. I get that he’s likely a sell high guy.  But what pitcher is really immortal anymore?  Max scherzer, Sale and maybe Verlander?