Slamsox27

Starling Marte 2018 Outlook

Headed to the DL...

Outfielder Austin Meadows, the Pirates’ top position player prospect, is on his way to the big leagues, a source confirmed to The Athletic.

The Pirates intend to call up Meadows from Triple-A Indianapolis before Friday’s game against the San Diego Padres at PNC Park. Outfielder Starling Marte (strained right oblique) will go on the 10-day disabled list.

36 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

Any clue on timing for Marte to be DL'd today?

Before today's game.

The blurb at 8:24 am EST stated the pirates placed him on the DL. Is Yahoo usually this slow tagging a player on the DL?

He was DL'ed on Yahoo like literally 4 minutes after I complained about him not being DL'ed, hah.  I'm magic today.  Tomorrow, not so much.  Anyway he was DL'ed on Yahoo around 2 PM or slightly earlier and they can't DL him until after the Pirates officially do.

Could be activated tomorrow if his workout today goes without any setbacks. 

Activated!

Pirates activated OF Starling Marte from the 10-day disabled list.
Marte returns from his oblique injury on the first day that he's eligible to do so. In a corresponding move, Jose Osuna was optioned to Triple-A, meaning the hot-hitting Austin Meadows will remain with the team for the time being. Prior to landing on the DL, Marte was hitting .308/.366/.503 with six homers, 19 RBI and 10 stolen bases. May 26 - 12:51 PM

Missed last night's dong, but good to see him back in the saddle.

Power is up this year and he's looking like the Marte of a few years ago. Could be an elite OF option if he goes 20/30 this year.

Ok this is getting ridiculous. Is Marte honestly thrown in this idiotic 4 man outfield for the Pirates? He deserves the same playing time as GREGORY OneGoodHalfOfASeasonInHisWholeCareer POLANCO?!?

I seriously can't understand how they are benching Marte to get equal at bats for Austin Meadows, Gregory Polanco, and Corey Dickerson. Unreal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Ok this is getting ridiculous. Is Marte honestly thrown in this idiotic 4 man outfield for the Pirates? He deserves the same playing time as GREGORY OneGoodHalfOfASeasonInHisWholeCareer POLANCO?!?

I seriously can't understand how they are benching Marte to get equal at bats for Austin Meadows, Gregory Polanco, and Corey Dickerson. Unreal.

Seems like a scheduled rest day.  He played 4 games after he came back from the DL, then had a day off.  He's played 4 games since then....seems like a day of rest for him today.  Fine by me, as long as it keeps him healthy.

31 minutes ago, CAT said:

Seems like a scheduled rest day.  He played 4 games after he came back from the DL, then had a day off.  He's played 4 games since then....seems like a day of rest for him today.  Fine by me, as long as it keeps him healthy.

I agree with it keeping him healthy. But you're really fine with him being in a rotation and missing a game or two a week?

22 minutes ago, tywalson said:

I agree with it keeping him healthy. But you're really fine with him being in a rotation and missing a game or two a week?

100% not. Marte played every game until he got hurt (based on game log looks like he sat twice here but pinch hit both games with 1 of them being having a 2b and a run). I feared he could get thrown into a platoon like this to even though he was putting up numbers on his way to a career year. He's  8/34, 1hr,  2 runs, 4 rbis, 0sb in his last 8 games. I really doubt a player of his caliber gets any type of platoon role for one of meadows, dickerson, or polanco but a stretch of only a few bad games gives them the option to sit him which unfortunately makes sense for MLB teams to do in certain situations. With that said if he's healthy I'd assume he gets at least 1 plate appearance as a pinch hitter days when he isn't in the lineup. 

43 minutes ago, molski said:

Why is he a part time player

It’s unbelievably frustrating. So Gregory Polanco can get equal time? What a joke

Of course as the bat has heated up the last couple games.....

3 minutes ago, PhilsPhan90 said:

Hurt again 🙄

So he wasn't fully right when he returned? Crazy.

1 minute ago, b0nfire said:

Marte is still dealing with an oblique injury but believes he can play through the pain, Rob Biertempfel of The Athletic Pittsburgh reports.

So he has back-to-back 2 hit games and then this news ?

Including a HR and two doubles.  

1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

For F' sakes.  He needs his roids back.  DL bound.

Hitting 3rd today

1 minute ago, molski said:

Hitting 3rd today

Brace yourself for the last minute scratch.  I do not like it when guys are complaining about oblique injuries, especially after just coming back from a rest.  With the off day tomorrow, really surprised they have him out there for a day game after a night game no less.

Posted (edited)

Out of the lineup 2 days in a row.

Edited by Spuds

He's not been stuffing stat sheets lately but man, to sit him two games in a row in favor of a rook who has been struggling pretty bad himself lately? Sometimes I wonder if Hurdle tries to hard to "shake things up".