Sidearmer

Mike Clevinger 2018 Outlook

8 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

i think this is due for a correction, i dont see how their home ball park can contribute to such a large difference. 

He just needs to stay cool. He doesn't need to scatter his own brain cells upon adversity.

12 minutes ago, Elviplatinum said:

3 crap starts in a row, thumbs down. 

Great avatar, terrible post. He has a 2.7 era and 1.2 whip for today as of right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RotoGenius said:

Great avatar, terrible post. He has a 2.7 era and 1.2 whip for today as of right now. 

Bro.... he was in trouble early on.  I was putting the reverse jinx.  It worked.  ?

• Thanks 1

Studly Do-Right over here... 

I know it's the Chi Sox but if he can flash that 97 heat a little more, I'd expect more starts like this.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Studly Do-Right over here... 

I know it's the Chi Sox but if he can flash that 97 heat a little more, I'd expect more starts like this.

I didnt even know he could throw that hard until today tbh

21 minutes ago, Big League Choo said:

I didnt even know he could throw that hard until today tbh

Saw it in the 1st.  I just started watching the archived game.  He threw a pitch in to a righty with slight arm side run.

• Like 1

I have to catch myself from taking this dude for granted. He has surpassed my expectations so far, so much that I'm expecting these types of dominant outings. 

IF he can stay healthy he should be considered among the elite options at SP in '19.

I think the most encouraging thing about this start is that the K's have climbed up again. I've been mostly happy as a Clevinger owner this season, but the one thing I was disappointed with was the lack of K's compared to last season.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Stallion said:

I think the most encouraging thing about this start is that the K's have climbed up again. I've been mostly happy as a Clevinger owner this season, but the one thing I was disappointed with was the lack of K's compared to last season.

Swinging strike rate is still there, and we have seen him do it before, so I don't think we should be too worried. 

The narrative I am going with is that because he is also pitching in the zone more, starting off 0-1 more, and his walks are down, this may be intentional. He's also going deeper into games this year. He is on pace for close to 200 innings. 

• Like 3

Now that's the start we've been waiting from Clev all year long.

Wasn't just the White Sux either, he was throwing GAS last night. Stuff looked filthy.

They get another dosage of him next time out. Really isn't a scary div at all for Indians pitchers, they the only good offense in it.

9 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Now that's the start we've been waiting from Clev all year long.

Eh?  He's had four games with equal or better game scores this season, one of which was a 2-hit CGSO.  It was a really nice start, but he's had many other really nice starts.  He's had some clunkers as well, but every pitcher does, and he's SP30 on the player rater, so it's not like this was an anomalously great start.  It was a very good start and he's a very good starter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Eh?  He's had four games with equal or better game scores this season, one of which was a 2-hit CGSO.  It was a really nice start, but he's had many other really nice starts.  He's had some clunkers as well, but every pitcher does, and he's SP30 on the player rater, so it's not like this was an anomalously great start.  It was a very good start and he's a very good starter.

Go and check his K's from his game logs this season. His CG he had like 5K's. Yesterday was a sign of dominance, which he hadn't been doing as good as his results have been so far.

Edited by swfcdan

Yeah, that's a fair point, but he was still a very valuable 5x5 contributor before yesterday.  The low Ks were definitely a problem earlier in the season, but they've been moving in the right direction for a while before this eye-popping outing against the 2nd most strikeout-prone team in the league.  Even if his K% doesn't return to last year's levels, he's been going deeper into games than he was last year (6.5 IP/GS vs. 5.4 in 2017), which could end up leading to more Ks overall, even if the K% and K/9 don't look studly.

2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Yeah, that's a fair point, but he was still a very valuable 5x5 contributor before yesterday.  The low Ks were definitely a problem earlier in the season, but they've been moving in the right direction for a while before this eye-popping outing against the 2nd most strikeout-prone team in the league.  Even if his K% doesn't return to last year's levels, he's been going deeper into games than he was last year (6.5 IP/GS vs. 5.4 in 2017), which could end up leading to more Ks overall, even if the K% and K/9 don't look studly.

I think this really is the story.  The bullpen has been crap,  so the starters are getting leaned on.  Hence,  a little less Ks. Plus,  as he gains experience,  he's learning to pitch a little more savvy. 

If you play k/9 like me,  maybe a good time to sell.  Other than that,  enjoy

• Like 1

I understand the lack of Ks complaint in general. That said, based on his ADP, you almost certainly got him as an overall value to the team, and unless you had unrealistic expectations, shouldn't really have been let down too much. 

• Like 1

Cleveland has been going 4 man when there is an off day for a while now.

Clevy loves facin dem Chi Sox. Stuff has been filthy lately so hopefully continues vs better teams.

Rotoworld blurb saying he's been their 2nd best starter behind Klubes this year, has he really been better than Carrasco and Bauer?

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

Clevy loves facin dem Chi Sox. Stuff has been filthy lately so hopefully continues vs better teams.

Rotoworld blurb saying he's been their 2nd best starter behind Klubes this year, has he really been better than Carrasco and Bauer?

I think he has been better than Carrasco but worse than bauer. Havent dug into the numbers though

Clevinger (6-2) tossed seven one-run innings to earn the win Tuesday against the White Sox, striking out 10 while allowing five hits and two walks.

Clevinger's stuff was electric in this one as he threw 68 percent of his pitches for strikes, including first-pitch strikes to 22 of 31 batters faced. He was touched up for a run in the first inning but quickly rounded into form and cruised into the eighth inning before an elevated pitch count led to his removal. That's back-to-back outstanding efforts from Clevinger against the White Sox in which he's struck out 21 while walking three over 14.2 total innings. He'll face another favorable matchup this weekend against the Tigers.

• Like 1

Took his third loss yesterday after a rain delay on a warm humid night in STL.

I watched most of the game and the behind the plate umpire was ridiculously tight with his strike zone, so Clevinger may have been squeezed a bit early (26 pitch first inning). He was constantly working with men on base and getting out of trouble (for the most part). Not worried.

• Like 1