Fuzzy_Slippers

Manny Machado 2018 Outlook

15 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No team thinks they can re-sign him.  Every single team knows Manny will test free agency.  Period.  100%.  Any other approach by Manny's agent is grounds for termination on the spot.

I think teams think it will give them a leg up if they are going to make an offer anyway. 

Let's say he's offered $350 million dollars over the same years/same incentives/same everything by NYY and Philly. There's a decent chance he'd stick with where he was at if he feels his chances at winning are the same and he liked the city/clubhouse/teammates. 

I think that's the line of thinking, at least. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ToO_BaD said:

Yeah isn't this usually more of a pitcher thing?  Not sure how it would affect a hitter (outside of ballpark factors or divisional pitching - which could be for either league) unless you somehow got put near the pitcher in the lineup and got pitched around a lot.

Just from being a daily browser around here - I feel like common sentiment, at least on these boards, is that a hitter changing leagues leans more to being a negative thing, if anything.. It's commonly thought that there's an adjustment period to seeing "new" (or infrequent) pitchers.

1 hour ago, abachar said:

Bellinger, Kemp, Muncy, Turner, etc. not a good enough lineup for you?

Turner has been bad this season and it is just a 3 month rental so long term doesn't really figure in here.  Also not a good home park bu yeah Coors is nice.  Arizona isn't as nice as it used to be for hitters, alas.

40 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

I think teams think it will give them a leg up if they are going to make an offer anyway. 

Let's say he's offered $350 million dollars over the same years/same incentives/same everything by NYY and Philly. There's a decent chance he'd stick with where he was at if he feels his chances at winning are the same and he liked the city/clubhouse/teammates. 

I think that's the line of thinking, at least. 

I agree with you here.  I think some team may well think that.  But i don't think it works.  Didn't work for Arizona with JD because he didn't take his new home town discount.  I think it will come down to cold hard cash as it always does.  Highest bidder gets Manny.

I think it is silly myself because how many multi-multi- millions does one person need in life but ball players see it as "a sign of respect" because they are dumb that way and it is all about ego over happiness and they often sign with the wrong team (*cough* David Price *cough*) rather than the better fit for them personally.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

lineup is really good tbh.  and he gets to play road games in arizona and coors....san fran too but hes not left handed

Maybe I haven't given the LAD lineup the consideration it deserves, with some guys having been hurt or having slow starts. It will be nice playing some games in Ari/Col, after leaving the AL East and some cozy parks hes hit in. 

1 minute ago, tonywow said:

Maybe I haven't given the LAD lineup the consideration it deserves, with some guys having been hurt or having slow starts. It will be nice playing some games in Ari/Col, after leaving the AL East and some cozy parks hes hit in. 

Again not Arizona anymore due to the humidor.  Manny was in the best division for hitter's parks in baseball.  The park thing will be a negative factor in any trade though players tend to say they really do like hitting in the Brewers' home park.  Something about seeing the ball way better there and it carries etc.  But it and Wrigley don't make up for Camden Yards, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium and the wind tunnel launch zones of Coors East aka the Rodgers Centre.

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

lineup is really good tbh.  and he gets to play road games in arizona and coors....san fran too but hes not left handed

Actually really dislike the NL West - LA, SF, SD and AZ are all now clearly pitchers parks. Coors is the one upside. Would guess a trade to LA may increase his RBI opportunities - as opposed to with BAL but likely depress his ROS HR numbers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Actually really dislike the NL West - LA, SF, SD and AZ are all now clearly pitchers parks. Coors is the one upside. Would guess a trade to LA may increase his RBI opportunities - as opposed to with BAL but likely depress his ROS HR numbers.

u may be right

but i still think being on a better team out weighs the ballpark although im not as sure anymore

1 hour ago, mudrummer said:

Petco is playing as the 4th best hitters park in mlb.  Largely probably due on how awful the Padres rotation is.  You put these gas cans in the Polo Grounds and they’ll still get slaughtered.  AT&T Park playing as 8th best hitters park.  Missed out on the early frigid April nights.  Chase Field still a hitters park.  Early returns were a fluke for humidor.  It’s up to 13th after being dead last into May.  Balls are starting to go again.  Dodger stadium plays in bottom half in runs per game but 7th in HR rate.  Dodgers also have 2 road series at Coors which is number 1 rated hitters park for 7 games.  Not that it matters a ton but because the park isn’t a factor due to crap talent but zero games at Petco for Dodgers rest of year and only 3 at San Fran

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Thanks 3

Is he gonna be persistent on playing SS? Makes me wonder if Taylor and Muncy are some of the pieces they give up for him

• Haha 2

Assuming that LA is the destination which seems prettt much done at this point wondering where he slots. Guessing it is either 3 or 4. 

Muncy has been their best hitter so imagine Roberts figures out a way to keep in the lineup every day.

Not sure how I feel about LAD as a landing spot. But that schedule for the next 3 series is pretty great. @Mil @PHI @ATL ..all launching pads.

Machado splits from last 3 seasons:

Home:

935 ab

.293 avg

.898 ops

61 hr

Away:

968 ab

.267 avg

.784 ops

44 hr

FoolhardyFluidArabianoryx.gif

6 hours ago, High&Inside said:

Not sure how I feel about LAD as a landing spot. But that schedule for the next 3 series is pretty great. @Mil @PHI @ATL ..all launching pads.

In terms of homers, SunTrust is the most pitcher-friendly park in baseball this season. Still, he should be facing some mediocre pitching. 

4 hours ago, street sharks said:

Machado splits from last 3 seasons:

Home:

935 ab

.293 avg

.898 ops

61 hr

Away:

968 ab

.267 avg

.784 ops

44 hr

His home/away splits are even more pronounced this season. Although I think he should be fine, I am a little worried about the move. 

48 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

His home/away splits are even more pronounced this season. Although I think he should be fine, I am a little worried about the move. 

You're kidding, right?

10 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Do Muncy or Taylor lose playing time? Or Muncy at 2b and Taylor shifts over to CF?

Most likely this.  Muncy has been far too hot to not have him in the lineup.  His only challenge at 2B is Forsythe.  Taylor should take CF with Joc spelling him once in a while, and Kike as a utility bench player.  It will basically be the status quo log jam they had when Seager was healthy.

2 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

You're kidding, right? 

Pretty much every hitter in baseball has home/road splits that are pronounced. 

Mike Trout has hit .287 at home this year with a .540 SLG versus a .330 BA on the road with a .660 SLG. 

IT. IS. A. SMALL. SAMPLE. 

Corey Seager, a Dodger where it appears Machado is going, is actually better at home vs on the road for his career. Bellinger is the opposite. 

He will be fine when he moves. Or he won't. Who knows. But if he's not, it won't be because he's not at Camden. 

• Like 2

Could they just hurry up and announce the deal already?

As a machado owner, I can't wait for him to go. If it is LAD, is there any concern for him moving to the other league and the other coast? 

2 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

You're kidding, right? 

Pretty much every hitter in baseball has home/road splits that are pronounced. 

Mike Trout has hit .287 at home this year with a .540 SLG versus a .330 BA on the road with a .660 SLG. 

IT. IS. A. SMALL. SAMPLE. 

Corey Seager, a Dodger where it appears Machado is going, is actually better at home vs on the road for his career. Bellinger is the opposite. 

He will be fine when he moves. Or he won't. Who knows. But if he's not, it won't be because he's not at Camden. 

What?

Here are his splits:

Home: 48 games 203 AB's.360/.448/.691 17 homers

Away: 48 games 210 AB's .274/.329/.468 7 homers

That's what he's doing this season. It's actually what's happening now. Those numbers are significantly different. Are you guys kidding? 

• Like 1