Fuzzy_Slippers

Manny Machado 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Thoughts on his time in LA so far and ROS ?

 

Hasn't had amazing production with them so far. He's Machado and will put numbers of ROS, but was hoping for more after the trade. Although if he's a type that takes time adjusting to NL or change of scenary, who knows what to expect ROS. With the trade deadline coming up, I debated looking to see what kind of crazy offers owners might send me. Curious what you guys think.

 

Seems like he should be primed for success in that lineup and Dozier has been doing well for LAD. They have a strong lineup with all the additions and Turner back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least we got a SB last night. He hasn't hit 3rd I think at all since going to LA, though Robert's mentioned possibly hitting him there at times. Machado has hit 2nd many times in his career as well as 3rd and has been productive, but to me in LA 3rd seems like it makes more sense in that lineup. 

 

Anyone else feel kind if meh they keep Manny hitting 2nd ROS ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tonywow said:

At least we got a SB last night. He hasn't hit 3rd I think at all since going to LA, though Robert's mentioned possibly hitting him there at times. Machado has hit 2nd many times in his career as well as 3rd and has been productive, but to me in LA 3rd seems like it makes more sense in that lineup. 

 

Anyone else feel kind if meh they keep Manny hitting 2nd ROS ?

Given hitting 2nd will ultimately provide him with more at-bats, I cannot fathom a reason why I'd be down about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything is fine he just hasn't been getting RBI's - somewhat because he hasn't hit any jacks since the trade...and I think a string of them will be coming soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I'm a bit more worried about the overall move and ROS outlook, rather than lineup spot. With his power numbers finishing the season and adjustments to NL pitching, only 5 or so weeks left. He had been a good source of HRs prior to the trade, since I feel like the HRs possibly Rbis might be more few and far between.

 

I had turned down multiple trades for him this season. However with the deadline coming and worries I have, debated shopping him see what the crazy offers would be from other owners. I guess I feel hey may end the year with decent H/Rs, but may not be the same force in HR/Rbi he had been. Which if that's the case many of us have a lot of bats that will put up good H/Rs/AVG. Myself and other owners might kick themselves expecting any big power surges that may or may not come or a return to his BAL type numbers. 

Edited by tonywow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2018 at 12:14 PM, tonywow said:

Thoughts on his time in LA so far and ROS ?

 

Hasn't had amazing production with them so far. He's Machado and will put numbers of ROS, but was hoping for more after the trade. Although if he's a type that takes time adjusting to NL or change of scenary, who knows what to expect ROS. With the trade deadline coming up, I debated looking to see what kind of crazy offers owners might send me. Curious what you guys think.

 

Seems like he should be primed for success in that lineup and Dozier has been doing well for LAD. They have a strong lineup with all the additions and Turner back.

 

Obviously like you said he's still Machado and he still should be a top 100 player rest of season, but his value took a MASSIVE hit with the trade, no way around that.  Obviously going from Camden Yards to Dodger Stadium was a huge downgrade for HRs.  He was also the absolute king of garbage time production in Baltimore where pitchers would challenge him because the Orioles were down 8-1 and if he hit a HR, it made no difference in the outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the series I was hoping for at COL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

his value took a MASSIVE hit with the trade, no way around that.  Obviously going from Camden Yards to Dodger Stadium was a huge downgrade for HRs.  He was also the absolute king of garbage time production in Baltimore

Not buying this.

In terms of home runs, Baltimore is ranked #6 with a HR factor of 1.193 and Dodger Stadium is #10 at 1.108

Not too much difference there.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

 

Meanwhile the Dodgers are 7th in MLB in runs scored while Baltomore is way down at 24th, a difference of ~90 runs scored.

I think the better lineup more than makes up for any minimal downgrade in park.

 

Machado just needs to get comfortable and adjust. 

Edited by cs3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, verycoolnin said:

Manny's been a streaky hitter in the past.  I didn't like the move to pinch hit for him. 

 

He was actually pinch hit for?  I thought he was taken out as a double switch, but I wasn't paying that close of attention to the TV.  I know he's sucked for the Dodgers so far, but to pinch hit for him, wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

He was actually pinch hit for?  I thought he was taken out as a double switch, but I wasn't paying that close of attention to the TV.  I know he's sucked for the Dodgers so far, but to pinch hit for him, wow!

 

No, he wasn't pinch hit for. It was a double-switch when Axford was brought in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Really hope it's not a situation where he has to adjust to pitchers he's never faced. That could go on all season.

That's part of my concern as well. I'd like to think he'll get going, maybe even go on some sort of hot streak but who knows. Tough choice with the deadline today in many leagues to hold or trade for something of use. If he's not going to return more value ROS than streamers or some hot FA's hanging around in shallow leagues, going to be a painful last 5 weeks or so. I don't think he will completely fall off the face of the planet, but also not overly confident he's going on any serious mash fests either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to think whoever signs him and to some mega deal will have buyer remorse.  This guy doesn’t seem like someone who feeds off being involved in competitive baseball games.  Could be an adjustment phase but looking back on the home road splits they were massively drastic.  Hopefully he can settle in but he’s squandered/choked in so many crucial situations already with men on base.  My expectations rest of season are super low.  I don’t expect much.  Hopefully I’m wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

You have to think whoever signs him and to some mega deal will have buyer remorse.  This guy doesn’t seem like someone who feeds off being involved in competitive baseball games.  Could be an adjustment phase but looking back on the home road splits they were massively drastic.  Hopefully he can settle in but he’s squandered/choked in so many crucial situations already with men on base.  My expectations rest of season are super low.  I don’t expect much.  Hopefully I’m wrong.

He does appear to be a diva/prima donna. I'm hoping he starts to rake.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like he hit 3rd last night, may have been the first time they moved him from the 2nd spot. He had to face Bumgarner so not the best matchup. Hope he gets going soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Manny is missing east coast bloodsport baseball and is already tired of west coast laidback ball.  Because why else ruin your leverage in negotiations?  Oh yeah, ballplayers aren't all too smart.

 

Quote

According to Jon Heyman of FanCred Sports, "people close to" Manny Machado have suggested he'd prefer to sign with the Yankees in free agency.

 

Per a close friend of Machado, the 26-year-old would "easily" give up shortstop to play third base for the Bronx Bombers. Machado is reportedly "OK" with staying in Los Angeles but prefers to play on the East Coast. The Miami native obviously won't come cheap—some wonder if he'll eclipse Giancarlo Stanton's high-water mark of $325 million—and the Yankees don't have a pressing need at shortstop, currently manned by Didi Gregorius, or third base, which is occupied by AL Rookie of the Year frontrunner Miguel Andujar. One thing is for sure—Machado will have no shortage of suitors when he reaches the open market this winter.

 

Source: FanCred Sports                   Aug 16 - 10:19 PM

 

Yeah in the off season the Yankees need Patrick Corbin first and foremost with maybe Harper second so Manny isn't really a priority at this point for them given the luxury tax stuff and Andujar being a decent option for them long term without breaking the bank.  But there is another east coast team with TONS of money burning a hole in their pocket that wants him real bad.  So the Phillies have to be encouraged by hearing this stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Looks like Manny is missing east coast bloodsport baseball and is already tired of west coast laidback ball.  Because why else ruin your leverage in negotiations?  Oh yeah, ballplayers aren't all too smart.

 

 

Yeah in the off season the Yankees need Patrick Corbin first and foremost with maybe Harper second so Manny isn't really a priority at this point for them given the luxury tax stuff and Andujar being a decent option for them long term without breaking the bank.  But there is another east coast team with TONS of money burning a hole in their pocket that wants him real bad.  So the Phillies have to be encouraged by hearing this stuff.

The Yanks need Harper like they need a hole in their head imo.  Hicks, Judge and Stanton can cover the OF just fine in 2019.  You can have Andujar play 3rd or DH (or potentially even play 1b if they what to give that a try).  What the Yanks need is to fill the hole created by that stiff Bird.  If they do not shift Andujar there, then they need to address it in the off-season imo by signing or making a deal for someone.

 

As to Corbin, yeah let's go sign a soon to be 30 year old after a career year with a lifetime ERA over 4 in the NL to a multi-year deal.  One never knows what they will do, but Corbin in Yankee Stadium in the AL East would be a mistake imo.  I think it is more likely they go after someone like Keuchel or maybe Morton depending on the price tag (assuming Kershaw does not opt out).  If Kershaw does opt out, it would be a high stakes game of no-limit poker in the mad rush to sign him, injury situation not withstanding imo.

Edited by secretagentman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two homeruns so far tonight. 3/5 last game.

 

Showing signs of getting out of his slump. We all know what a hot Manny can do for fantasy teams. There is no better time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonaldsDucks said:

Two homeruns so far tonight. 3/5 last game.

 

Showing signs of getting out of his slump. We all know what a hot Manny can do for fantasy teams. There is no better time.

 

It's cause he's in an AL park lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone else notice the guy who almost caught the HR ball in Seattle was wearing an Orioles Manny Machado jersey?  How weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, verycoolnin said:

Did anyone else notice the guy who almost caught the HR ball in Seattle was wearing an Orioles Manny Machado jersey?  How weird. 

What's even more weird is that it was actually Manny Machado. 

 

He's practicing his magic act for the 2019 season of America's Got Talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...